Thread: Your One Favorite Alaskan Big Game Bullet?

Default Your One Favorite Alaskan Big Game Bullet?

Did we already do this? Just wondering what everyone is "making gut piles" with these days. I use the original Barnes X 250 grain bullet in my .338 Win. Mag. Probably will for a long time since I have about 300 of them left. My 30-06 is loaded with the original 180 grain Barnes X. The supply for it is getting low so I will have to decide on another Barnes X bullet for it. I know there are other very good bullets available that I could be using. This is just what I settled on when I left my old favorite, the Nosler Partition. I am mostly a moose, caribou and occasional bear hunter. If I spent much time shooting critters at 300 yards and beyond I might look at another bullet.

I've been pretty satisfied over the years with a 30 cal 180 grain. Bear, bou, moose, Ox. Flat enough and enough knock down. 180 in a 300 winmag or WSM is a good distance shooter too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Accubonds, barnes, partitions, or whatever the gun likes. It is amazing to me how frequent people recover bullets that "failed" from animals that the bullet killed!

No complaints about Nosler Partitions yet.
    Now what ?

I like Speer btspt as they are fairly inexpensive, shoot pretty good and make things dead. I've also used Hornady, Sierra, and Remington and they all kill very well. What esle do you need? Instead of using a tougher premium bullet I just use a bigger caliber throwing more lead. In 45 years of shooting critters, I have never had one get away because of bullet failure and all I use is cup and core or cast. Even the lowley cast bullet kills very well. I'm not convinced most of us need premium bullets and the cheaper price of cup and core lets me shoot more which leads to better bullet placement.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm not an expert, by any means, but I got my prefs.

Nosler Partitions for Magnum Velocity rifles.

Regular Cup and Core Speer, or Hornady, bullets for Standard rounds.

Always, Heavy for Caliber.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've been fortunate to actively hunt AK for the past twenty-five years. I started handloading about a dozen years ago or so, which is a marker for me in my bullet preferences. Before handloading, I shot my first brown bear with Coreloks, and my first few black bear, moose, caribou and blacktails were primarily with Partitions and a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw or two. However, when I started handloading the world of choices became very exciting. I tried lots of different bullets early on and took animals with them just fine. However, these days I primarily only use Barnes TSX's for big game hunting. They are my favorite for sure.

I've used a lot of different things over the years...

Right now my favorite all around bullet is the 180 Accubond from my .300WSM. I'd love to show everyone a pretty mushroom shaped bullet but I've haven't recovered one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've used a lot of different things over the years...

Right now my favorite all around bullet is the 180 Accubond from my .300WSM. I'd love to show everyone a pretty mushroom shaped bullet but I've haven't recovered one yet.
    I put 200 grain Accubonds into Black Bear, Grizzly, Sheep, Moose and Goat last year. Launching them from my 325 WSM. I started looking at them for long range reasons, but after using them during the spring bear season, I just stuck with them. They are my go to bullet for everything but big Brown Bears, for those I still use TSXs.

Not an expert by any means, an addict maybe, expert no.

Accubonds recovered last year.

Before I switched to Accubonds I killed a bunch of critters with 180 Grain TSXs. Only issue I ever had was with the Barnes bullets was with a 180 grain MRX tipped that blew up just under the hide of a Brown Bear and made a fist size would that was non fatal. I do however, believe that it was a matter of being too close. I was only 15 yards or so when it hit him.

This 180 grain TSX was recovered from my first Moose.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

.338, PM sent. Sorry about the double message.

X bullet
    partition
    sirraco (sp)
    accubond
    A-frame
    bear claw
    I'd roll on any game in alaska with any of those bullets. but i shoot tripple shock X in my big guns.
    partitions in my .30 cal and under
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212