Thread: After 3 years of no activity we cant wait till next season.

A, A

Default After 3 years of no activity we cant wait till next season.

Three years ago my kids and I statrted baiting for blackies and have had no activity, and we had to to go outside to visit family on June 24th so I go to remove our site on the 23rd to find it destroyed, no camera at our site but at least 1 bear climbed the trees we hung drip pails and bait balls and tore them down and chewed them to peices. Baited a different site this season and cant wait for next year. Thanks to those who have shared their knowledge so that some rookies can share in this sport.

Sterling, Alaska, United States

I was a little luckier than you when I first started. The very first time I set up a bait I walked into an area thought that it looked good set my bait, set up the camera gave everything a good look over and left. Came back two days later to check the camera and could tell right away I had been hit. I was really suprised when I checked the time that the first bear hit d found that it was there less than two hours after I set the bait. The first day I sat on it the bear was there 15 minutes after I sat down at the stand and I put an arrow in the right spot and was taking pics less than 30 minutes after my very first sit on a bear bait.

That was the best year I ever had I always get bears but sometimes it can take a while. This year it took me almost a month to get our first hit. One thing that I will do if I am not getting hit is to wait about a week if I have nothing then I will move the bait. I dont go far but depending on the terrain around your bait and how the wind moves around the area a move as little as 50 yds can make the difference between bears and no bears. I will also try to make a trail of scent for them to follow to the bait I will either drag something behind me that smells sweet or use a spray bottle and spray the trees with something to get their attention if they cross my trail.
    Good luck next year I will be out again for sure.