Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thru Hull Transducers

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    Ebbtide: I am getting into your question a little late but why would you want to go to a Thru Hull when airmar has some outstanding transom mount transducers? I had an SS270 with the high speed fairin (Connected to a Furuno FCV585) before we damaged it on an uncharted rock a couple of years ago. I replaced it with an Airmar TM260 and I could not be happier. The new Airmar TM series transducers have performance equal to their Thru Hull counterparts without having to drill a hole in your hull. I suggest you check out the TM series.
    We are talking about shooting through the aluminum not drilling a hole in it.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Vexilar and Garmin both make "in hull" transducers, I think what MM has discovered and turned me onto is the fact that a transom mount ducer mounted in hull does indeed work. I can say that proof positive. However it may not be the best choice for you as I have a fairly basic setup. And in a dedicated ocean boat you may want better more powerful equipment.

http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories...sducers_au.php

This is just one of garmins offering

http://g.premiumstore.com/details/37...-10445-00.html

There is a wealth of info and choices and my knowledge is very limited on this equipment
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Ebbtide: I have never been in the salt. It is very accurate shooting through my .250 bottom. I think it would work to ocean depth too. It wouldn't take much to test it out on your boat. It could be a temporary setup with a pice of pvc pipe siliconed to the bottom and filled with water with a weight of some thing to hold the sender down. In fact this is the prefered method to test a location before it is made permanent with epoxy.
    The op is looking at a totally different application than you are. He's looking at getting the best possible performance out of his sounder and is looking at spending $800 on the transducer. How the transducer is mounted is critical to it's performance, and being able to differentiate fish at 100 fathoms is an entirely different balgame then showing 35' depth in a river. Getting the best performance out of his combo is critical to him making a living.

Contact Airmar, they have great customer service and will advise you as to the best transducer for your application, how you should mount it, and how you shouldn't mount it.

Personally I don't like holes in a hull below the waterline, so I'd lean towards a transom mount if you have a spot you can mount it that has non turbulant water flowing to it. Friends have been very pleased with their airmar transom mount with their Furuno, but it is a 600w setup.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Shark Bait,

My assumption was that a thru hull was a better unit, more able to read bottom on plane in deep water. That has now been challenged. I plan on calling Airmar when I get a chance and asking about all the above options: thru hull/in-huill/and transom mount. As usual this forum opened my eyes a little bit more.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The op is looking at a totally different application than you are. He's looking at getting the best possible performance out of his sounder and is looking at spending $800 on the transducer. How the transducer is mounted is critical to it's performance, and being able to differentiate fish at 100 fathoms is an entirely different balgame then showing 35' depth in a river. Getting the best performance out of his combo is critical to him making a living.

Contact Airmar, they have great customer service and will advise you as to the best transducer for your application, how you should mount it, and how you shouldn't mount it.

Personally I don't like holes in a hull below the waterline, so I'd lean towards a transom mount if you have a spot you can mount it that has non turbulant water flowing to it. Friends have been very pleased with their airmar transom mount with their Furuno, but it is a 600w setup.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

I give a big thumbs up on Airmar stainless through hull ducers. Last couple boats have had the flush mount ones. Reads bottom at hundred plus fathoms at thirty knots. Love the 1kw power.
    Purchaced a two year old boat this spring, Airmar ducer was bad, replaced it with the exact same one, 1200 bucks.
    I blame the failure on the install. No isolation bushing and no sealant.

Ebbtide,
    If you are still looking for good transducer then try this Airmar SS264N or SS264W. I have SS264N on my 29' boat with 12 degrees tilt and I can read bottom down to about 2700', deepest spot in the PWS. at speed up to about 35mph it will read depth down to about 1000'. This is very good setup for deep sea fishing and shrimping, it will give you very clean bottom images down to about 1500' at low speed.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009...13&manf=Furuno

Still looking. I will probably start researching this about Jan when things really slow down. Thanks for the info though. I will look into these particular models.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12