Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thru Hull Transducers

Default Thru Hull Transducers

Thinking about switching my transom mount transducer to a thru hull. Looking at the Airmar ss164 for furuno 1735. Anyone have any experience with these transducers?
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

For a glass or aluminum boat?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Aluminum 27 foot Glaciercraft.
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Aluminum 27 foot Glaciercraft.
    I only run in the rivers but my transducer is inside the hull and shooting through(no hole) the aluminum hull. It works just fine for for the depth finder, [I have not tried it over about 35ft] I don't know about the fish finder side of it. It is a nice feeling to not have to worry about wiping a $80 puck off. It would be real simple to test if it would work in your boat. If interested PM me for more info.
    One place to get some info is http://vexilar.com or do a search for 'sounder epoxy'.

Use a through-hull with a high speed fairing. You can't use a shoot through with aluminum and if you use the flush mount you will lose about 20% definition. I have the Airmar 526TID-HDD. It is great. The 520T-HPT is OK.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Use a through-hull with a high speed fairing. You can't use a shoot through with aluminum and if you use the flush mount you will lose about 20% definition. I have the Airmar 526TID-HDD. It is great. The 520T-HPT is OK.
    And just why do you think 'shoot through Aluminum' won't work? It sure as hell works in my boat!!

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    You can't use a shoot through with aluminum...
    since when?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

dtol,

Can you see the bottom while you are on step? How fast can you go before you lose bottom definition? In how deep of water?
    MMSI#

I have been 49mph on the GPS without loosing the bottom.

Can I install an in-hull transducer in an aluminum boat?

Airmar does not recommend it. The transducer's sensitivity will be reduced transmitting through the metal hull, so you will not be able to see as deeply into the water. However installation in an aluminum hull is acceptable if the thickness is 3.8 mm (0.15",3/16") or less. The transducer must be epoxied directly to the aluminum hull. Use Airmar models P72, P79, or M260.

From Airmar. Go for it if you have a thin hulled boat and intend to stay in shallow water. Don't if you want maximum performance from the money you spend.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

A Glacisercraft boat does not have a flat bottom, if the transducer is not pointing straight down you will not see what is under the boat. You will also need make sure the location is bubble free.

The fairing takes care of the angle of the hull.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

I am shooting through .250 bottom with no problem.

Music Man,
    Have you ever run it in deep (150+ ft) water? If so how does it do?

dtol,
    Where do you lose bottom at with regards to depth and speed?

Thanks for all the input!
    MMSI#

Ebbtide: I have never been in the salt. It is very accurate shooting through my .250 bottom. I think it would work to ocean depth too. It wouldn't take much to test it out on your boat. It could be a temporary setup with a pice of pvc pipe siliconed to the bottom and filled with water with a weight of some thing to hold the sender down. In fact this is the prefered method to test a location before it is made permanent with epoxy.

I have been using a Garmin transducer mounted inside for the last two years (it was a transom mount originally), but kept knocking it off when I beached the bottom at low tide or when running rivers.
    MM suggested using this helped me out, and it has worked fine at depth in the salt and I have compared it to another transom mount that I mounted as a back up and reading between the two are consistent.

Mine will lose bottom when on step, depending on conditions, I am sure this is a result of a lifting strake that is too close and creating bubbles.
    I was limited in locations available. So MM suggestion of sampling a location before making it permanet is a good idea.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I assume Airmar knows what they are talking about. I see bottom at 1500 ft at 28 miles per hr. It tends to hunt for the bottom at speed when the bottom changing rapidly, eg. 400 then 1000 then 250 etc. It sees 400 then 1000 then while it is adjusting the bottom raises to 250 etc. Does fine when the bottom is consistent. I think this is true for all depth sounders.

Airmar lists applications for their different transducer models and for their in-hull models they only list solid fiberglass. Also, their flush mount thru-hull will cost you about 20% definition as compared to their models with a high speed fairing. Check out their web site. There is a wealth of information on it.
    What-a-Day
    Denny

Akgramps and I are only giving you our experience, you can do whatever you want. Keep in mind that Airmar would love for you to wipe off a few senders so they could sell you more.

Well I can see this is going to take way more time to research then I have right now. Sounds like a winter project.
    MMSI#

Ebbtide: I am getting into your question a little late but why would you want to go to a Thru Hull when airmar has some outstanding transom mount transducers? I had an SS270 with the high speed fairin (Connected to a Furuno FCV585) before we damaged it on an uncharted rock a couple of years ago. I replaced it with an Airmar TM260 and I could not be happier. The new Airmar TM series transducers have performance equal to their Thru Hull counterparts without having to drill a hole in your hull. I suggest you check out the TM series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast