Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversize Loads on a Holiday weekened...rant

Default Oversize Loads on a Holiday weekened...rant

Okay so driving back from Whittier today I see two or three oversize boats, no signs on the front, orange beacon not turned on... and I left my boat, with a motor that needs to go to the shop, in Whittier because I have to go to the slope Tuesday AM and did not want to break the Holiday restriction rules. What gives, do people just ignore the rules. Now I am faced with going over to Whittier, picking up my boat and towing it to the shop when I get back in town in two weeks. Okay, rant over.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-10-2015 at 11:23.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Just keeps the honest people honest. Bummer man, but you know if you had run it, they would be pulling on the rubber gloves as you bent over to look at your wheel bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Okay so driving back from Whittier today I see two or three oversize boats, no signs on the front, orange beacon not turned on... and I left my boat, with a motor that needs to go to the shop, in Whittier because I have to go to the slope Tuesday AM and did not want to break the Holiday restriction rules. What gives, do people just ignore the rules. Now I am faced with going over to Whittier, picking up my boat and towing it to the shop when I get back in town in two weeks. Okay, rant over.

it is sucks i am oversized too i got the whole tape measure treatment last time thought the tunnel and they did not even get me right they were narrow. i buy my permit but if it is a holiday weekend i will still tow from soldotna to homer passed manny troopers and they never look. think about all the boats out of deep creek they tow on the road on hoildays

Does your permit state "Holiday Restrictions?" Mine permits in the past have, but my new one this year did not. I drove from Homer to Anchorage yesterday with signs on and light rotating. I passed several troopers on the side of the road with radar guns pointed at me. I figured there were some new oversized boat rules this year. I know they got rid of the pilot car for 10.5 feet. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

Angry I love Whittier

They charge more to go through the tunnel if your boat is 10' versus 8'6" don't they?

Yes, they charge $35 up to 10', but then they go to $300(?) for 10' to 11'. They really look for boats over 10', which includes 30' Ospreys, Seasport voyagers and offshores, but they rarely know how to measure them correctly.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Get your brother to do it for you. Mine is in Seward with an outdrive issue, but at least that is where the guys are that can fix it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

If it's on the trailer and you make arrangements with the shop, I will go get and drop it off at the shop on Tuesday or Wednesday. PM me.

Last but not least so where are you guys getting these permits without holiday restrictions?

I will email AkDOT and see what they say.

Well that didn't take long...here is the link that I was sent.

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/assets/w...th_of_July.pdf

Page 15 and 16 apply to oversize loads

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/webdocs/...l_rev_2009.pdf

Also went in to create a new permit and it appears that some changes were made to the site. I am sure that it is an oversite on their part. The non enforcement part is the BS part and if exceptions and/or changes to oversize and Holiday Restrictions were made then that sucks. I even seen Crowley trucks out this weekend, one had an oversize sign and another, same exact truck without signs. The confusion goes on.

I have heard that there are changes coming for all loads 10,001 and larger but from the Federal side. Trying to confirm the exact text and effected parties.

So if I am reading that correctly I could have brought my boat home? My permit says holiday restrictions on it.. ugh. You think if they were going to ease the restrictions they could send out an email to everyone who bought a permit to let them know. The 28th of June is a little late for me to find these things out. Dupont thanks for the offer, let me talk to my wife and see if I can find a shop to take a look at it.

On a side note I am going to talk to my local state rep (Fred Dyson, he lives down the street from me) and see if he can speak to the DOT for us. I want a exemption for non-commercial oversize boats from the holiday restrictions.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Actaully Oversize is suppose to be considered a permitted load, but in this case the "or" over 10' 6" let us slide.

JR2 I am dead serious about bringing it back for you. Only being semi employed for the summer has it's advantages. Try Odie's Marine but I think you may find most everyone busy. What's the issue you are having?

I have a check engine light, the motor idles erratically and it will not rev past 5500 rpm. It seems to be running good other than that I have been told to ignore it and run it until I can get it fixed. I need to call tomorrow and see if I can get it in anywhere soon. Just trying to avoid the boys in Mountain View. No one in Whittier would even look at it, think I want to try and get it to Rons Honda in Soldonata or if J. Kimberly works on Hondas I might try him out.

Default Holiday restrictions removed

DOT removed holiday restrictions for wideload under 10' 6" for all long weekends from now on. You can call and confirm. This isn't something to RANT about.

Quote Originally Posted by Letsfish View Post
    DOT removed holiday restrictions for wideload under 10' 6" for all long weekends from now on. You can call and confirm. This isn't something to RANT about.
    That is not what the release from DOT says. It specifically states for the Independance Day holiday weekend only and it is in bold and underlined. If there is another release or change please provide the written reference or your point of contact. I will get them to reference it or fax a copy to me. If it is not written and published then it is not true. This is the only way, if you get stopped, to get out of jail free.

Letsfish this in no way reflects upon your information that you have brought to light, but in the past I have been burned and have since found out that if you do a telephone reference to always have the POC, second when it comes to things like this it will always be in writing.

What's the limit where you have to get a permit and sign?? I'm looking at a boat with a 10' beam....

Quote Originally Posted by andyak View Post
    What's the limit where you have to get a permit and sign?? I'm looking at a boat with a 10' beam....
    you need one for 10' beam
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by andyak View Post
    Any thing over 8 ft 6 inches.. that is any part of the boat or trailer over 8'6"..... at least that is what they told me when I called. I think most people take it as meaning if the boat is over 8'6"... but the trailer counts as well.

JR2 look at your permit,,, it has a conditions of permit part on it. There has been changes. When I get my 3 month permit I make a dozen copies to hand out when needed. Last week I got pulled over by a trooper and he wanted to see my permit. I showed him it and he looked at the conditions part, then said I don't need a yellow becon flashing light. I always used one, he said it must have changed because it's not part of the permit so I took it down. I had a hard time keeping it working anyway. So anyway he explained the conditions part of the permit to me. I'm sure the next trooper will have a differant idea of the rules.

What gives, do people just ignore the rules.
    Yes, they do. Have you noticed how people completely ignore even the double fine warning signs in work zones, complete with bright orange flagging, flags, cones, etc? My bet is that, after getting a very expensive citation, they'll blame everybody but themselves for it.

I emailed DOT yesterday AM and got a reply today. That memo was for 4rh of July weekend but the gentlemen indicated that they intend to extend it for the rest of the year and he would let me know next week about that.. that would be great news. Now we just have to remember to start in on them early next year to get the exemption for Memorial day onward.

No flashing light anymore would be nice, but I kind of like my light... it say look at me, look at me....I'm special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast