Thread: Honda Outboard Help

Default Honda Outboard Help

Out running around Whittier this past weened and after sitting for a couple hours in a cove when I restarted my engines one of them threw a check engine light on on the key panel. The error on my tach for that motor says its a PGM-FI error. I went ahead and ran the motor to get back to port (from South Culross) and the motor ran fine and had lots of power. Today I had to go grab my shrimp pots out of black stone and the motor ran fine but would not run past about 5500 rpm when normally I can redline it at 6K. Did some reading on my cell phone last night in the harbor and everything points to a fuel filter/water separator problem, but I am not getting the water in fuel error on the tach so I am leaning toward the fuel filter. Would a plugged up fuel filter throw a code and make the motor not run at 100%? and if that is the problem how did it plug up with a racor in front of it?

My problem is that I had to leave the boat in Whittier as its oversize and I have to go back to the slope for two weeks on the 5th. I have people coming from out of town when I get back to town so I need to figure this out and take the parts I need to fix it. I have spoken to a couple charter guys who use Honda outboards that said as long as the motor runs its fine, but it bothers me.

Any ideas?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

JR2....I pm'd you the name and phone number of the regional honda tech rep, he will be able to handle any questions...nice guy, has been real helpful to me a couple of times!

Thanks a bunch, I will give him a call Tues.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Anyone else ever have this sort of problem?

Might be the High Pressure fuel filter, Have they ever been changed . I believe my book says 400 hrs between changes.

When in doubt change all three on the motor and the racor .

Had a similar problem on my Honda 150, waves drove water through the vent into the tank and fouled both my racor and the onboard filter. Water will plug filters quick, drained the water and changed both filters and that fixed my issue. Mine has an onboard fuel filter water separator/indicator on the lower right side of the engine as you look at it.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Changing the the Racor as well as both the fuel filters (and clean out the water separator) are the first things on my list when I get the boat home from Whittier. First opportunity to get it in to get looked at is two weeks out..... so when I get back from the slope I will go get it and get that done... if it fixes it then it does not have to go in for its appointment. By the way, Rons Honda said 2.5 weeks behind, AKMD is 2 weeks and Storm Chasers said this fall to look at it. The guy at Storm Chasers did say if I could bring it in they might be able to diagnose it for me and then let me fix it myself. I have a factory service manual coming in the mail and I discovered there is a way to get the codes out of the motor without a computer... something about shorting some pins in the data connector and writing down the flashing sequence of the lights on the dash. Then you can look up the code in the shop manual and fix it... I hope.

How new is your engine? I had a oxygen sensor go out on my brand new Honda 225 and found out that the 2009 models had this problem. Honda had a recall notice on it and paid for the replacement. Call your local dealer.

I don't think the 150's have a O2 sensor. I initially thought that might be the problem but after looking at the wiring diagram for all the sensors I do not see an O2 sensor listed. I think only the motors larger than 150 have them, having the dealer check for recalls is one of the things I am putting on the list for when its at the shop...

Talked to the service guys at AKMD yesterday AM and the verdict is a broken throttle position sensor. The wire harness and part of the the TPS is hanging loose and the other half of the TPS is where it belongs... sounds like a easy fix. WRONG. The TPS is part of the throttle body which no one in Alaska has and is 5-8 days out.... and six large. Looks like I am a land lubber this week and the fuel money I would have spent playing on the ocean will get my boat running again. Have fun out there and save some shrimp and silvers for me.

SOMEBODY needs to take pity on this poor boatman and get him out on the water! A week without boating is like a week without life!

JR2, I will likely be out in Seward this weekend if you want to go chase silvers on the War Horse...I'm feelin' your pain, brother, and the time between shifts on the Slope is short! PM me if you're interested.

IceKing02

PS: Six large in boatman's terms is usually 6k...if you're burning that much in fuel over the weekend I can see why you're having engine problems!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    IceKing02
    PS: Six large in boatman's terms is usually 6k...if you're burning that much in fuel over the weekend I can see why you're having engine problems!
    I'm thinking more like 6 C-notes.

I guess six large was not correct, maybe I will call it six medium.

Thanks for the offer of taking me out, but I am going to pass. Going to Homer to visit my land and camper that has not seen much of me since I got a boat. Should be a fun and my Dad wants to take me out to fish for halibut... I will survive.

Dear AKMD, when your going to replace something like a throttle body on an outboard motor you should also probably order the gasket for that part, since it says in the shop manual not to re use them.... idiots. I hope when it drives out of your yard later in the week you take a good look at it because it will be the last time you ever see my boat again. I will gladly tow it 200 miles to another Honda dealer to do the work.... end of latest rant.

Another note, DON'T LIE TO ME and tell me you left a message on my cell... It did not happen as all my messages get emailed to me within seconds of receiving them. Also don't lie and say the gasket is damaged... the book says not to re use them. It would also not be a good idea to insult me by telling me your doing me a favor by ordering the gasket with out my approval... If I give you approval to replace a $600 part on my motor I expect that you will order everything it takes to install that part, including the $25 gasket. Yes I am still pissed... end of rant for now.

I think we get it, you're angry. But, I'm not sure this is the right place to let it all out. I hope things turn for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I think we get it, you're angry. But, I'm not sure this is the right place to let it all out. I hope things turn for the better.
    I think a public forum is a fine place to relate good and bad experiences at local shops.

Tyrex,

No arguement here that one should be able to discuss the outcome of the experience. However, name calling and insults are a bit much and against forum rules. I do understand the frustration though as I have felt that way many times myself on many occasions. I do hope they get it right and JR2 gets his boat back in a quick amount of time with the job done right.