Thread: Whittier + Jet Boat = No Go

Default Whittier + Jet Boat = No Go

I went out to Whittier this weekend in my boat for the first time. Sucked 10 lbs of seaweed/kelp in the jet. Took two hours to clean out in the middle of PWS. Wish I had a Stomp grate....

My old jet boat had a stomp grate, and it worked well with rocks but not so well with seaweed in the salt. I had one time I had to come back to Whittier slow and put the boat back on the trailer to get the weeds out.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

It took me well over 2 hours just to get the screen cleaned enough to get some thrust. I think I might move on up to a ocean boat... I think I'm going to run that by my wife...........

I know the feeling, Sucked a bunch of weeds about the same time the weather picked up. Made for a miserable idle for about an hour till I could find a spot I was willing to clean weeds. Took an hour with a fillet knife and contemplated beaching it for a tide but was able to clear it. Stomp grate might not work the best but I bet they help loosen things up before you have to cut away.

Either way, I know for sure that I will keep my eyes peeled if I ever go out there again. Another thing that kind of pi$$ed me off was that I put a nice piece of plywood on my welded jet protector to make a Redneck swim step. Its perfect on the river for cleaning/netting fish, but extremely inconvenient for trying to clear a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    Whittier + Jet Boat = No Go
    Yup. Jet Boat + ocean = bad idea. Not the proper tool for the job.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

My Hewes sportsman with the 200 SJ and stomp grate works great out there. Heck. Most of my hours are from Whittier. Yes it's not as great as an outboard, but if ya watch for seaweed as others watch for logs, it's a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Hmm I've run a jet out in the sound and in the gulf for 28 years w/o a problem. I have a twin jet boat now that seems to perform fine for the 600 hours a year I run around the sound in fact I don't think I've ever been passed by a boat with props. The majority of the commercial fishing fleet would disagree a jetboat isn't the proper tool for the ocean, to the contrary, outboards are not the proper tool. The seine fleet have all converted their seine skiffs from outboard to jet. Heck the high speed ferry has four jets, and seems to get along just fine...couldn't give me a prop boat

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I went out to Whittier this weekend in my boat for the first time. Sucked 10 lbs of seaweed/kelp in the jet. Took two hours to clean out in the middle of PWS. Wish I had a Stomp grate....
    Wait till you suck in a plastic sack. It's a real special experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I am faster than most props and I can go where no prop can venture and I have no fear of prop striking fish and marine life... Seems that the props might have the lower hand. I agree the weeds can be a bear but at least I don't have to worry about cruising on a nice day and all of a sudden have my lower unit ripped out by a submerged log!!!

Years ago we had a sea grate on our Wooldridge/3 stage pump and would go over patches of seaweed without a problem in PWS. May be worth looking into. Whenever we went to valdez we would remove the river grate and install the sea grate, I remember it being an easy task to help my dad with as a kid.

At the rear of the grate, the bars were not attached and angle down a bit and overlapped the rear of the grate frame, kinda like fingers. When the boat was underway and weeds were sucked onto the grate, they would simply slide off the back of the grate. Kinda hard to explain. The boat was equipped with a 3-stage pump.

Thanks for the info. Im going to look into it. Even though I could only fish for about 2 hours, I still had a great time. PWS is beautiful place. As for now, Im still a river rat. There is a ton of river I havent seen or fished yet.

Even if you do not run the salt again a stomp grate will be of benefit. I have to stomp mine as often running the Susitna and Tanana than I when I run PWS; there is a great deal of debris floating down the majority of rivers that cannot be seen/avoided compared to what I encounter in PWS.

I have a lot more problems with weeds in the rivers than the sound and I have been using the jet boat in PWS for a lot of years without a stomp grate. It is an avoidance issue - don't go through big patches and carry a good jet rake if you do pick up a few.

I never had problems with my wooly, althogh I have an o/b. I would run PWS all weekend long. Just avoid the kelp beds.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

That's why you need at least 5 boats. Cover all your bases, right tools for the right job...
    Tony