Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Mile Moose

Default 40 Mile Moose

Anyone ever flown out with 40 Mile Air for Moose? Ive seen a bunch of storys with Caribou and Sheep but never Moose. Anyways just wondering how the service was, the hunting was, and where the drop off was ect.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    Anyone ever flown out with 40 Mile Air for Moose? Ive seen a bunch of storys with Caribou and Sheep but never Moose. Anyways just wondering how the service was, the hunting was, and where the drop off was ect.
    I have hunted moose with 40 Mile, that area has produced some huge moose. That said, it has a very high predator population and we did not see many moose. They only have so many moose spots and they book on 1 Dec for the year. They are a safe and quality air taxi.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 07-04-2011 at 10:17.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm hunting moose with them this year... for the first time. I hunted caribou with 40 mile last year. Great outfit. Ed F

In my opinion and only mine they are simply the best overall transporter in the state,for several reason..#1 they're safe #2 they manage there area....no over harvesting or taking people for a ride....#3 they will pick you up on the date you request,weather permitting.....#4 super moose........like mentioned above the numbers are down but the quality is good if you willing to put in the time......good luck
    I ♥ Big Sheep

We saw bulls on our caribou hunt last fall. Saw several on the flight back in to TOK. Tell-em to fly you out about 15 miles then turn around and head back to the airport. The bulls hang out in the open just to bring you back next year! I saw 2 bulls last year within sight of town. I also know of a fella last year that harvested a braggable bull hunting with them. Good luck to you.

Thanks guys, that pic gets me pumped. Im not even lookin for a big moose, any bull will do for me. Good info and sounds like im going with the right outfit. I fly with someone new every year and have always wanted to try 40 mile air. I booked with em back in December. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    In my opinion and only mine they are simply the best overall transporter in the state,for several reason..#1 they're safe #2 they manage there area....no over harvesting or taking people for a ride....#3 they will pick you up on the date you request,weather permitting.....#4 super moose........like mentioned above the numbers are down but the quality is good if you willing to put in the time......good luck
    Not just your opinion. Leif is the best in the business.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The absolute safest outfit I have flown with in the state. Leif and Randy know their stuff and won't push the envelope (which pisses some guys off). I sat in their office for three days of windy bluebird weather waiting for the right winds to get into our strip. It was a tough three days, but I know why they had to do it. We managed to shoot a very good moose and he was only the second moose we saw. I will fly with them again when I can afford it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

40 Mile runs a very efficient operation, and SAFETY is their highest priority. I've hunted with them three times before, and will do so again in the future. I missed my shot this year due to booking my hunt late, but I'll see them in the future for sure. Here are some photos from past 40 Mile hunts:

5 out of 5 stars for 40 mile air. On two hunts with them, I shot a 37" ram and a 7 foot toklat Grizzly. Saw lots of caribou, but was unable to harvest one due to an emergency order. Have never harvested a moose with them, but as others have said, the numbers of moose in their area are low but the size of the bulls are large. And, I have also heard that the bull to cow ratio is good as well. As long as you go in with the understanding that you are not going to be seeing moose around every bend in the river, you should do fine. Just expect that there are moose in there, but not in great numbers. Other than that, I would agree with what others are saying about Leif, Randy, Vanessa and all the 40 mile air crew. 100% top notch outfit. Good luck.

man, now i miss moose hunting badder.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    man, now i miss moose hunting badder.....
    Man, Me too, wife says we have no money this year and I think she spent it all on senseless stuff like food and house payments - good grief!
    Good luck LungShot - we expect a story with pics in a few weeks!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

LungShot,
    My son and I flew with Lief and Randy last fall. Can't say enough good about them. They are a hard working outfit. Not sure where you want to hunt, but if you choose 20E, buy your moose tag, and do the caribou registration. Last season the moose rut was a little late along the river and drainages we hunted. The cows were there, but the bulls had not shown yet, and were not responding to our calls. We were however, in the middle of the small bands of caribou, seeing aprox. 150 a day. Some were very respectable bulls, and instead of coming home empty handed on the moose, we both harvested very nice bou. I won't be able to head back to AK for a few years, but when I do, I won't hesitate to use 40-Mile Air as my transporter. Good luck. Knute

Quote Originally Posted by Knute78 View Post
    LungShot,
    My son and I flew with Lief and Randy last fall. Can't say enough good about them. They are a hard working outfit. Not sure where you want to hunt, but if you choose 20E, buy your moose tag, and do the caribou registration. Last season the moose rut was a little late along the river and drainages we hunted. The cows were there, but the bulls had not shown yet, and were not responding to our calls. We were however, in the middle of the small bands of caribou, seeing aprox. 150 a day. Some were very respectable bulls, and instead of coming home empty handed on the moose, we both harvested very nice bou. I won't be able to head back to AK for a few years, but when I do, I won't hesitate to use 40-Mile Air as my transporter. Good luck. Knute
    In Unit 20E, you can not possess a moose permit and caribou permit at the same time. It is either one or the other. Not both. At least that is what it used to be. I haven't hunted there in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    In Unit 20E, you can not possess a moose permit and caribou permit at the same time. It is either one or the other. Not both. At least that is what it used to be. I haven't hunted there in a while.
    Ah,, Grasshopper. There is an area within 20E that you can have both,, good to read the fine print sometimes!!!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yes, Steve, sometimes you need to read all the reqs.

Knute

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Ah,, Grasshopper. There is an area within 20E that you can have both,, good to read the fine print sometimes!!!!!!

Steve
    Oh I see. So you must have been upriver from Joseph. That's a whole different deal altogether.

Also it's not a permit where were going. Its general harvest, Any Bull. Thanks for the pics and hopeful posts everyone.

I've never gotten up in that area, but may this Fall, Kenai penn regs got ridiculous even for locals..( 50 and 4 tines). I have friends that go back in about 40 miles on argos in that area, and have not come back with less than 60 inch bulls in the last ten years.. and they don't talk much about where they go. Trust me I've tried, even when they are drunk, they don't say much. What are the floats like from and back to the Taylor highway? I imagine plenty of traffic..

any thoughts appreciated.. anything at all going on for the early season?.. Thought I may go up for that 5 days and learn the area. I have another hunt in mind on the Yukon if this doesn't pan out.

thanks..

Lungshot, did you book a moose hunt with 40 mile? Just curious. Sounds like a great outfit, I'd like to hunt with them one day.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast