Thread: Honda Outboard Help

Default Honda Outboard Help

Out running around Whittier this past weened and after sitting for a couple hours in a cove when I restarted my engines one of them threw a check engine light on on the key panel. The error on my tach for that motor says its a PGM-FI error. I went ahead and ran the motor to get back to port (from South Culross) and the motor ran fine and had lots of power. Today I had to go grab my shrimp pots out of black stone and the motor ran fine but would not run past about 5500 rpm when normally I can redline it at 6K. Did some reading on my cell phone last night in the harbor and everything points to a fuel filter/water separator problem, but I am not getting the water in fuel error on the tach so I am leaning toward the fuel filter. Would a plugged up fuel filter throw a code and make the motor not run at 100%? and if that is the problem how did it plug up with a racor in front of it?

My problem is that I had to leave the boat in Whittier as its oversize and I have to go back to the slope for two weeks on the 5th. I have people coming from out of town when I get back to town so I need to figure this out and take the parts I need to fix it. I have spoken to a couple charter guys who use Honda outboards that said as long as the motor runs its fine, but it bothers me.

Any ideas?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Put this in the wrong Forum.... can a mod please delete it. I will repost it in Power Boating.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

How new is your engine? I had a oxygen sensor go out on my brand new Honda 225 and found out that the 2009 models had this problem. Honda had a recall notice on it and paid for the replacement. Call your local dealer.

JR2........

your boat is gone from Whittier and at the Honda Doctor in Anchorage. Hang onto your wallet.

Dad