Thread: Reds on upper Kenai

Default Reds on upper Kenai

I remember a few years back I would go down to the Kenai (cooper landing) and fish above and below the Ferry for Reds. It was some time in July when they were really running thick but I cant rememeber wich week. I know the first batch of reds in June go mainly up the Russian but the second run in July seem to go on past the Russian for the most part and fishing in the Kenai is awesome. Does anyone have the run timing down on that second run? I just cant rememeber when it started to pick up or when it peaked.

Alaska Outdoor Journal has the Run Data

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I remember a few years back I would go down to the Kenai (cooper landing) and fish above and below the Ferry for Reds. It was some time in July when they were really running thick but I cant rememeber wich week. I know the first batch of reds in June go mainly up the Russian but the second run in July seem to go on past the Russian for the most part and fishing in the Kenai is awesome. Does anyone have the run timing down on that second run? I just cant rememeber when it started to pick up or when it peaked.
    They should be in the upper Kenai sometime in late July/early August. Last year they seemed to arrive late. I saw them jumping all over Skilak Lake while fishing the middle river in the last week of July, but they weren't being caught in the upper for 2-3 weeks after. By that time, a lot of them were blushed.

If they do not start coming into the Kenai soon it is going to be late July for sure before we are fishing with any success in the Upper again. I think the russian is about done for the early run went on Sunday walked most of the Russian and found just a couple scattered groups.

Fished today for reds in Soldotna, then went to Naptowne rapids and saw a seal swimming around in the water, then went up to the Russian ferry and fished for a few hours. Didn't see any salmon caught nor swimming in the waters. I later proceed to go to the Russian River campground and walked from the confluence to the power lines upstream on the Russian and saw a brown bear swimming in the water and a couple of black bears searching for fish. Only saw 1 guy the whole day with any salmon. However there were some trout being caught by guys at the Russian ferry area. Have to wait for the late run to start.