Thread: Bird Creek

Default Bird Creek

Does anyone know what's going on at Bird Creek campground? Saw it was all blocked off this weekend.

It has been closed all year and will be closed till next summer. Hundreds of dangerous tree need to come down, and general upgrade.

Default dumb mgmt

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It has been closed all year and will be closed till next summer. Hundreds of dangerous tree need to come down, and general upgrade.
    I find it ironic that another thread here describes state funding that lived through the recent hacking/cutting of budgets for a no-worky program, and here we've got a campground less than an hour from Anchorage closed for a year because they can't get around to taking a chainsaw to the dead trees?

Yeah, I know that's a "different pot of money". That's the dumb part.

Wonder what kind of trees they are. It would be the ultimate irony if it is birch.

Well that is unfortunate. I always enjoy a weekend there with my son camping, fishing and hiking once or twice each summer.

There was an article in the "Turnagain Times" paper about this. Maybe someone can post it from their online edition.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I find it ironic that another thread here describes state funding that lived through the recent hacking/cutting of budgets for a no-worky program, and here we've got a campground less than an hour from Anchorage closed for a year because they can't get around to taking a chainsaw to the dead trees?

Yeah, I know that's a "different pot of money". That's the dumb part.
    Well, perhaps it shouldn't be... as a condition of receiving unemployment or other benefits, if recipients haven't located a job after X amount of time, put them to work clearing public campgrounds and such!

Not to get political mind you. I just hate to see good campgrounds go to waste! Especially when you consider the other-other thread about how they're the only place to escape rude campers sometimes.

Not a bad idea....