Thread: questions about otters

Default questions about otters

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/2476072568.html I found this on craigs list. Would this make a good first raft? Anybody with otter experience nkknow what to look for when buying a used otter ( or fraft for that matter ) ALso, why do I have no courser as I type this? Makes editing impossible..... thoughts anyone? Jump on it or look for something else? I am 80% excited but also willing to wait and buy something else. Just looking for peoples 2 cents ......

I feel like a forum hog and then only posting sorry about that. If in fact the Otter in quesiton is the one in the picture which is self baling with a basic frame then 2100.00 is a more than reasonable deal. New out the door your looking at substantially more. Oars basic with oar rights. sleeves and outfitter blades will run you about 180.00 per os your overall cost puts you about 2.7K give or take a dime. Two questions I would ask is have there been any repairs, and is there any warranty left on the boat. The seat on the frame and the oar locks are not the greatest in fact the seat is something you wish not to use in "heavy" water it spins. Still all and all if in fact it is that boat well maintain baling with frame, pump, repair kit and has some warranty a very resonable purchase.
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of travel into your purchase i.e. 150.00 in gas. I wondering if that is Frenchy selling off stuff out of Circle.

Last note it has no rubber end caps which you should have to protect the boat and if I am not MooseTaken all self bailing otters now have two chambers that fill up front and one in the rear the chambers on that boat are fill on the side. Please Inquire about the age of the boat and if in fact it is in the condition shown. If it does not have a warranty and the photo happens not to be like yesterdays I would ask for an updated photo prior to making the trip. I am rambling now. Frame $450.00 value best case in good condition. Puts the boat at 1.7K give or take. Pump 29 bucks if like new and each thawrt not seat runs about 100.00 bucks and norm is two not three so some added value.

Best wishes.

BMR

It looks like a nice raft. I have an otter and love it. The main thing that I look at when I am buying a used inflatable is the seams, Check to see if they have started separating especially where the floor meets the tube. these are tough rafts, and if they are well taken care of they will last forever.

Default the boat is 10 years old, should that be a concern?

It is a model 141 ( narrower? ) from late 2001. Obviously no warranty. Thoughts anyone?

If it's the one in the photo it looks good to me. I found a 13 otter a couple years ago for even a bit less $$$ but if you really want a good raft I wouldn't think to long on that one.

I have an Otter I bought this winter off CL. Its the only raft I have ever used, so I have nothing to compare it to. That being said, I am very glad I bought it. If it were stolen I would replace it with another Otter.
    Got a few of it down

As stated by trappendan check the seams as well if no major repairs and I was in the market I would offer for the package 1.7K that is 1.3K for the boat and 400 for the frame reasonable if the boat is in great shape.

looks like frenchy's hangar and one of his planes. He notoriously takes marginal care of his gear. The boats looks to be in good shape, but for a rig that old, i'd say $1800-$1900 would be the price i'd say is fair.

larry