Thread: Waterfowl hunting on own private land

Default Waterfowl hunting on own private land

I've spent some time on the ADF&G website.. but thought I might get a faster answer here.

Is it legal to hunt waterfowl on your own land? Following all rules regarding quantity, species etc of course.

Thanks!

When I lived in lovely Bayshore Anchorage, the friendly neighborhood policeman visited after I carried my gun outside as I was shooing away a bear. He wanted to know about me "brandishing" the gun - not about the bear. (Insert favorite early 1990s anti-police rap lyric here). If, on the other hand, you live in Klutina - or better yet, Russian Mission - I'd say no one would mind at all if you hunted ducks on your own place.

Read: legal.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

as long as your land is not within a community that restricts shooting, then hunting would be ok. since you did not share where you live, you will have to look that info up for yourself.

In season?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    In season?
    Whats this new thing you speak of?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I moved up from Oregon not long ago, a good deal of hunting is done on private property, it depends on where you live. Some places require that you have x acres before you can hunt. Find out and let me know, I'll bring the dog and a few dekes.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Whats this new thing you speak of?
    You know the stuff you put on em before you cook em.

You will also have to check and see if your land is under a coveant about shooting or hunting. My place in Texas is, but the limit is ten acres. Therefore, I can shoot, hunt, and do pretty much as I please within the "seasons".

Here in North Pole, you cannot hunt moose with a firearm, but you can hunt other game. My neighbor shot a little black bear in his back yard. Only thing he had to do was 'tag' it. Now that black bear have harvest tags. I have taken ptarmigen and grouse in my yard in the past. No ducks or geese yet though.

Chris

As others have said, you need to check that your city doesn't have an ordinance about shooting. Here in Juneau you can't shoot within 1/4 of any public road. Only becuase the Mendenhall State Game Refuge is exempted do we have any local waterfowl hunting!

There is a whole bunch of state land out the road that would be great for shooting sea ducks from shore, but it's right along the road, so it's technically off limits.

So the basic answer is, check with local and state offices around your town.

Erich