Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoLite Shangri-La 2 Shelter 2-Person

Default GoLite Shangri-La 2 Shelter 2-Person

OK, I am about to buy this sweetie. Is there a good place to buy it cheapish. And is there a compelling reason NOT to buy it.........????? Thank You.

compelling reason not to buy it.... yes there is. The Shangri-La 3 is a teepee design that has more floor space and only uses one pole so it is lighter. I have both and will be using the SL3. The SL2 will probably stick around since I already own it and my kids can use it.

amazon has the SL-3 for about $195

Let me correct one thing in the prior post... The SL2 is sold as a body only with no poles and the main body weight is 23.1 oz | 655 g You will need 2 trekking poles to errect it. The SL3 has a main body weight of 24.9 oz | 705 g so the SL 3 is slightly heavier (1.8oz or 50 grams). The listed weight on the website of 2.7lbs includes a 12oz center pole. I eliminate that weight by using my trekking poles and it is nice to have the pole along if I am not ounce counting so I can leave the tent set up and take off with my poles for.... well some trekking! For the 1.8oz increase in weight over the SL2 you gain almost 15sf of interior space and get a more flexible tent. Add in a pyranet 2 from bearpaw in place of the golite nest and you have a really light full featured tent.

LuJon, This would be a emergency shelter for one person, in conjunction with a 2# 4oz. sleeping bag. For day hikes that go bad, March through October. There will be no stove, no cooking, strictly for emergency use only.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    LuJon, This would be a emergency shelter for one person, in conjunction with a 2# 4oz. sleeping bag. For day hikes that go bad, March through October. There will be no stove, no cooking, strictly for emergency use only.
    And trekking poles...

Myself and Alaska_Lanche also have this. He has used his and mine still has to be broken out of the packaging.

I'm sure he'll be chiming in with pics/info...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    And trekking poles...

Myself and Alaska_Lanche also have this. He has used his and mine still has to be broken out of the packaging.

I'm sure he'll be chiming in with pics/info...
    Nope sold mine to get an SL3. Its my solo shelter/emergency bivy away from camp shelter w/my wife. Anyways like LuJon stated the SL3 is WAY more tent. Taller (62" height in the center vs. 48" of the SL2). Also takes less takes to make it stand up. Its 1/3 more space for only 1.8 oz. Also its shape as a tipi vs. an "A" frame style makes it handle the wind much better.

Plus if you have the coupon code you can get them for $165 (40%) for the SL3 or $135 for the SL2.

Hope that helps

Yes, thank you men. You have broken my heart, as I was enamored with the SL2. But it would be foolish to not take the trio's advise. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Plus if you have the coupon code you can get them for $165 (40%) for the SL3 or $135 for the SL2.

Hope that helps
    What about the SL5 for a late fall/winter/early spring shelter........??? And where do I find the discount code.....?

OK, I just ordered the SL3 and the SL3 nest. Sweet deal, thanks men. ($249.95 Total for Nest & SL3 & shipping to the cabin door)

Where did you order from?

[QUOTE=hunt_ak;969182]Where did you order from?[/QUOTE

Direct from Golite. The only issue will be that UPS can never find the cabin, or get up the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What about the SL5 for a late fall/winter/early spring shelter........??? And where do I find the discount code.....?
    I currently own an SL2, 3, 5 and 8. The 8 is our whole family tent. It is only about 12 lbs and will fit 3 queen size air mattresses. It goes on boat, wheeler, and car camping trips or can be backpacked for shorter trips. The 5 is my hunting tent for two. It will be going to Afognak with the wife and I in search if elk this Oct. The 3 is my solo tent. Also the 3 and 5 can hold the whole family for areas where two tents are preferred over one large one. As you can see I think go-lite hit a homerun with the SL series!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I currently own an SL2, 3, 5 and 8. The 8 is our whole family tent. It is only about 12 lbs and will fit 3 queen size air mattresses. It goes on boat, wheeler, and car camping trips or can be backpacked for shorter trips. The 5 is my hunting tent for two. It will be going to Afognak with the wife and I in search if elk this Oct. The 3 is my solo tent. Also the 3 and 5 can hold the whole family for areas where two tents are preferred over one large one. As you can see I think go-lite hit a homerun with the SL series!
    How'd the family like the SL 8 so far? I packed mine (just SL 8 plus SL 4 nest) in on the Tokositna packraft trip last month....always nice to fit 6 people inside the vestibule with plenty of space when the weather turns less then desirable

Took it to Deshka for a weekend with the full size nest. It was a castle for our family with plenty of space for gear and the dog. Very nice to be able to stand and get dresses without having to haul a 40-60lb tent!! I still need to try out the SL6 nest with it which should still sleep the whole family but add some floorless storage space for wet gear.

I am ordering the bearpaw pyranet 3 inner for my SL5 tomorrow. Should be a trick little setup. I also have a stove jack on order from tigoat. I am thinking about setting it up in the SL 5 and picking up a packable stove for Afognak. A warm dry wife is a happier wife.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Took it to Deshka for a weekend with the full size nest. It was a castle for our family with plenty of space for gear and the dog.
    Hey, me too!!

I need an SL4 nest....

Luke, got a STP coupon email recently?

Hey, me too!!

I need an SL4 nest....

Luke, got a STP coupon email recently?
    I have not seen any SL tents on STP for quite a while. I have to look through the inventory but I may have a spare (new) SL6 nest I could let go of.

I didn't think the Sl-6 nest would fit inside a SL-8 fly. On another note, I only see up to the SL-5 on golites site...

Have you looked at the Big Agnes UL line? My tent is 2lbs 2 oz for a two man and has far better weather and bug protection that the Shangri La 2 and is only 5 oz more. Just did a trip to denali with a friend who had the Shangri La, while cool and made well....no thanks.

I didn't think the Sl-6 nest would fit inside a SL-8 fly. On another note, I only see up to the SL-5 on golites site...
    Brosef,

I have a GoLite SL5 and SL4 nest if you ever decide you wanna borrow either nest to use inside your SL8 just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDAVEY View Post
    Have you looked at the Big Agnes UL line? My tent is 2lbs 2 oz for a two man and has far better weather and bug protection that the Shangri La 2 and is only 5 oz more. Just did a trip to denali with a friend who had the Shangri La, while cool and made well....no thanks.
    Please see post #4, my applicatin is NOT planned camping, but emergency overnight survival.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast