Thread: Hide Spoilage

Question Hide Spoilage

I am planning a fly-in hunt for taking a grizzly. I will be gone about 9 days and am concerned about how long a salted hide will remain in good condition. After the initial salting, is there something else to do to help preserve it? Also does the kind of animal (bear, sheep, caribou, moose) determine how long the hide will keep, or are all about the same?

the more salt the better set it on an angle so it'll drain and not pool up in the hide, if you can lay it open some of the mouisture will evaporate and drain off and your salt will work longer, but once salted you should have alot more than 9 days before it goes south of cheese. if you've got temps below 50 degrees i'd guess probably two weeks or more...IF you only salted it once..if you can salt it twice you'll be ok for quite a long time. i shot my grizz on day two and it sat for seven days with no salt, freezing at night, thawing during the day, that was cutting it close but the hide came out great. The better you can flesh it the better you'll be. turn the ears!! thats one of the first spots to go bad...
    bears over 9 foot, will drink salt like nothing...your salt will be totally soaked in a couple hours, i like about 150 lbs of salt on big bears, sure you can get away with less though, but why if i've got the salt.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

split the lips also..

Temperature has a lot to do with it, but if you keep it as cool as possible and properly fleshed a hide will last at least your 9 days no problem.

From advice I got many years ago from a couple taxidermist friends, you have the hide as flat and as level as possible for the initial salting (after turning the ears, splitting the nose lips and eyelids) overnight. After that drain whatever liquid, salt again and fold the hide up flesh against flesh. Store the hide so it gets air circulation and it should be good to go for several days if you keep it cool.

150 pounds of salt for a 9' bear?? I've never heard of that much salt being used on a bear hide, and never used anywhere close to that myself. 20-30 pounds should be enough. Remember too, that salt will do it's job if what it has to penetrate is 1/4" or less.

On a side note there's some stuff that works great as a salt substitute that you have to use 1/4 to 1/3 as much weight-wise. I can't think of the name of it, but if nobody here knows what it's called, I'm sure the post you made on the PV site will get some responses. Marc Taylor sells it at Wiggy's Alaska in Anchorage. Real good stuff.

It doesn't make a difference what kind of hide or cape you're dealing with as long as the prep and care are the same.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

It's called TTC for "Total trophy care." If I remember right...the manufacturer claims one pound of TTC is worth 5 pounds of salt. I have used it and it's a great product especially if weight is an issue.

"150 pounds of salt for a 9' bear?? I've never heard of that much salt being used on a bear hide"

now you have.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    "150 pounds of salt for a 9' bear?? I've never heard of that much salt being used on a bear hide"

now you have.
    Yep, first time in 30 years. Always a first time for everything, or so I've heard.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

lol man alaskan you and i clash like oil and water don't we! no hard feelings man. worked in kodiak master guide there said, just load it up, 20 bucks worth of salt on a 15,000 dollar bear ain't nothing. so we did. and dang if it ain't awesome! The amount of water that first salting pulled outa that hide was unreal, when i fly out i take one 50lb salt and that'll do two saltings for me on a grizz, alot slower than the 150 on the big bears it seems like though.
    whatever works for ya, like mentioned, salts cheap insurance.
    Master guide 212

Go pay to have it tanned the put it in the freezer if you are going to rug it.
    It will freezer burn in a short amount of time.

Oops hit wrong button there.I kinda meant that other thread.

Talking cheap salt

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol man alaskan you and i clash like oil and water don't we! no hard feelings man. worked in kodiak master guide there said, just load it up, 20 bucks worth of salt on a 15,000 dollar bear ain't nothing. so we did. and dang if it ain't awesome! The amount of water that first salting pulled outa that hide was unreal, when i fly out i take one 50lb salt and that'll do two saltings for me on a grizz, alot slower than the 150 on the big bears it seems like though.
    whatever works for ya, like mentioned, salts cheap insurance.
    Said it great! I figure at least 50lbs per hide saltings...some feel excessive, but like you said, cheap insurance. It's always amazed me how many outfitters skrimp on salt...take it and use it, and properly take care or that hide. It'll be a lot more harmonious outcome.