Thread: Sport Jet Oil Leak

Default Sport Jet Oil Leak

I have an oil leak that is pooling up around the engine base/motor mount area.

I have not been able to find any problems with any of the hoses, or clamps (zip ties) no holes, tears rips etc.
    Does not appear to be coming from the compressor the majority of oil is on the starboard side of the motor. No oil to speak of on the back of the motor and some resdiual flow on the port side.

I just noticed it and haven't gotten out with somebody to drive for me while I search for the leak yet but was wondering if any of you guys have any advice.

It's under warranty so I will probably end up hauling it back to Fairbanks for service.

And it can be deadlined again for another month.

Thanks.

Is it injection oil or gear oil? Bad seals in the pump will push gear oil up and out the input shaft seal this will leak out a weep hole between the adapter plate and jet. If it is gear oil that would be the cause. If it is injection oil check all your oil lines again especially where they connect to the motor

Quote Originally Posted by MCAT View Post
    I have an oil leak that is pooling up around the engine base/motor mount area.

I have not been able to find any problems with any of the hoses, or clamps (zip ties) no holes, tears rips etc.
    Does not appear to be coming from the compressor the majority of oil is on the starboard side of the motor. No oil to speak of on the back of the motor and some resdiual flow on the port side.

I just noticed it and haven't gotten out with somebody to drive for me while I search for the leak yet but was wondering if any of you guys have any advice.

It's under warranty so I will probably end up hauling it back to Fairbanks for service.

And it can be deadlined again for another month.

Thanks.
    MCAT

I just had a large oil spill inside my dog house around my eng area too! My wife and I (got stuck again); near the fishing area of the Ekluna trail race (Kink River); right smack dab on a sand bar. I was turning around and moving slowly out of the area when I grounded. All the folks fishing must have had a good show for 20mins or so while I pulled, pushed and pumped sand getting off that bar of sand. After exiting that channel and moving to the left side of the Knik we stopped near the bridge and I opened the Dog house and found Oil everywhere.

I traced it to the small oil reservoir on the engine (cap leaking) I'm pretty sure or think it might be the connection at elbow from the main oil tank (too) was the leak point. Glad I found it sooner than later since I had about a half Gal of Merc oil moving with the rain water up and down the bottom of our boat, WHAT a mess. Tightened the small little cap (treads seem very cheap and strip easy) so I found a tight spot before the cap popped loose again and headed to the Knik launch site. The oil stopped leaking after I retighten that little cap.

Now I'm trying to figure out a better cap method than the OEM cap.

What a clean up after that mess,,,gee I feel your pain.

I don't know what the gear oil is like.

This appears to be greenish in color. I had been running yammalube based on the dealers recommendation until I switched service depts and then started running the opti-max DFI.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Yea, aren't those days fun.......

Well there is absolutely zero oil that I can find anywhere on the block or where the oil lines enter the engine. I was an outboard guy for year and I know so little about the inboards but it sure makes sense what akgravelpumper said about my gear oil. When I get back home Tuesday I got to figure this thing out.
    Thanks