Thread: Live in Anchorage, new to fishing. Any lakes/rivers out of but near Anchorage?

Default Live in Anchorage, new to fishing. Any lakes/rivers out of but near Anchorage?

any ideas? thanks so much.

what do grayling prefer, too?

your right, awesome link. much appreciated.
    thinking Meirs and Long Lake as well as Symphony Lake in Eagle River.
    have you fished any of the above mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by imike01 View Post
    your right, awesome link. much appreciated.
    thinking Meirs and Long Lake as well as Symphony Lake in Eagle River.
    have you fished any of the above mentioned?
    I've actually not fished any of those personally.
    Miers Lake would be tricky by foot to fish, it's kinda in a sinkhole which means steep banks, and most of the shore is private land, I've been meaning to try it with my canoe but never got around to it.
    Long Lake always wanted to try there but usually when I'm on a lake I'm with my two boys who aren't quite old enough to get the catch and release concept.
    Symphony Lake - another on the list of lakes to try. Word of mouth is it has spectacular grayling fishing, and isolated at the 5mi hike scares off most casual anglers and tourists.

We've had quite good success at Matanuska lake, and Kepler-Bradley Lake, but both have quite a bit of fishing pressure so the fish tend to be smaller. My strategy is to watch the Matsu-fishing reports and not go to any of the lakes mentioned. I think Fish & Game rotates the named lakes in the report in an attempt to steer the fishing pressure around. Usually naming a lake in the summer will mean a crowd of people showing up.. Also try stocked lakes off the beaten path... they should offer a better experience.