Thread: yukon trip

Default yukon trip

anyone know if its feasable to do a raft trip from eagle to circle just me and the wife would be going. Neither of us have too much expirence. most likely would be jul-aug time frame. Would this be more for advanced or can it be done any help would be appreciated.

Milpol
    That would be a great first trip on the Yukon. Be advised that there isn't much in the way of business or support in Circle. Check amazon.com for books about canoe trips down the Yukon.. You'll have a good time!

Default Yukon

Trip is very doable and very enjoyable. Might want to consider a kicker motor with a little go juice. Winds can be strong. Lots of Pike fishing and Gryaling if you are interested in that. Suggest you bounce around Google Earth for some Topo's. Best wishes!

The journey from Eagle to Circle is 158 miles long with most visitors traveling from late May through September. The Yukon River flows at an average speed of 5 to 8 miles per hour. For the safety of visitors, it is recommended to file a voluntary FLOAT PLAN with the preserve and a friend. Trip length varies depending on weather conditions, type of boat, and whether visitors continually float during long daylight hours or if they stop to camp and explore. Visitors who float approximately 30 miles a day and camp each night usually take around 5 days to reach Circle. Extra supplies should always be taken in case trip time is extended due to weather or other unplanned events.

This informaiton comes from this attached Web Site. Nice information.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yuch/Expa...ukon_river.htm

Default thanks

hey thanks for the website some good info should be a good time

Default Yukon Trip

It is time for me to put in my 2 cents worth here. I have not floated the mighty Yukon so I do not profess to know anything about this cool trip. My expertise is up here in NW Alaska and as a backcountry ranger for the BLM many years ago in the Alaska Range.

I think that 30 miles a day is very ambitious. If there is any wind and I guess that there will be 30 miles per day may be a planning disaster. Rafts are slow if the water is slow. If you were using a canoe 30 miles per day might be doable, maybe. I always advise my floaters that they should shoot for 15 miles per day if they plan on doing any fishing or hiking, anything more is a real drag. So my advise is shoot some where around 15 miles per day and that trip will be much more fun!

3 years ago I had to catch a plane/pick up on the Squirrel a few years and I had to knock down 22 miles in one day and it sucked big time! Donít go there!

Enjoy your trip and do your planning!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best choice in equipment rentals in all of NW Alaska!

Default Information

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    It is time for me to put in my 2 cents worth here. I have not floated the mighty Yukon so I do not profess to know anything about this cool trip. My expertise is up here in NW Alaska and as a backcountry ranger for the BLM many years ago in the Alaska Range.

I think that 30 miles a day is very ambitious. If there is any wind and I guess that there will be 30 miles per day may be a planning disaster. Rafts are slow if the water is slow. If you were using a canoe 30 miles per day might be doable, maybe. I always advise my floaters that they should shoot for 15 miles per day if they plan on doing any fishing or hiking, anything more is a real drag. So my advise is shoot some where around 15 miles per day and that trip will be much more fun!

3 years ago I had to catch a plane/pick up on the Squirrel a few years and I had to knock down 22 miles in one day and it sucked big time! Donít go there!

Enjoy your trip and do your planning!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best choice in equipment rentals in all of NW Alaska!
    Walt I do not disagree with your statement concerning 30 mile sper day on the Yukon the winds can push you back up river on certain days. Great input. If you utilize a kicker motor (4-5 Horse) we can gain 30 mile with ease however if your oaring the raft you will be hard pressed to make that 30 miles as stated form the information posted from the Web Link I gave. That being said 7-10 days is what should be planned for on a nomral tirp from Eagle to Circle.

Blue Moose

Red face Kicker

Yes your correct, the kicker will make the difference.

I would normally agree that 15 miles per day on most Alaska rivers is a good target pace, but I found the Yukon fast & easy. There is little maneuvering to slow you down, so the miles just click on by. But I was floating a section just above this, from Fortymile to Eagle. As I recall, that was 50 miles total and we did this in just over a day. The section of the Fortymile River that we floated to get to the old town of Fortymile was very slow though, and 15 miles per day was pushing it.

I've never gone past Eagle, but I know the Yukon Flats area is down there someplace either before or after Circle, and that is supposed to slow down a bit. Mostly the issue there is for deeper draft boats in the shallow water, but if the river slows appreciably, it would be good to know beforehand.

Another trip like this is the Copper River, which is a little faster, but from Chitina to Cordova (Flag Point actually) is something over 100 miles and is easily done in 4 days, and once I did it in 3. You can cover a lot of territory on these big fast rivers.