Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 17 - Help and Advice

Default Unit 17 - Help and Advice

Hey all, I was just invited to join a group coming up from Nashville in Sept 2012 for a DIY Moose float hunt with High Adventure Air. The group had a member drop out due to being laid off and I am trying to get as much info as possible.

That being said I have been reading the forum non-stop for 3 days and trying to learn as much as possible and want to first say you guys have a great site here.

I have searched and looked for info on on Unit 17 and High Adventure Air, but not having much luck. Do I have reason for concern? To be honest I am as excited about getting to tour your great state as I am about getting to hunt. However I want to make sure I am going to an area that isn't a complete gar hole and with a reputable company.

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. I look forward to continuing to learn from you all over the next year as I prepare. I know I will have lots of questions.If necessary please PM me if you do not wish to reply to all.

Thanks for letting me share your virtual campfire!

How many total will be in the party, and how many will be hunting.......? Who is supplying the raft and equipment........? How many moose and/or caribou do you total hope to harvest.......?

Rest easy, High Adventure air is a truly professional outfit. Great safety record and super guys. Can't go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    How many total will be in the party, and how many will be hunting.......? Who is supplying the raft and equipment........? How many moose and/or caribou do you total hope to harvest.......?
    2 in the party and both hunting. High Adventure is supplying the raft and we are doing the rest. I'll be happy if we get one between the two of us but as pleased if we at least get an opportunity.Like I said I am not expecting a slam dunk and I really am looking forward to the experience as much as the hunt. I just started getting worried when I could not find any info on the forum for either Unit 17 or High Adventure Air.

What kind of info would you like?

If you only listen to one suggestion for this trip--bring a GREAT bug net! I really like this one (LINK), but there are lots of good options.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If you only listen to one suggestion for this trip--bring a GREAT bug net! I really like this one (LINK), but there are lots of good options.
    What time of year do all of these biting flies and other pest cease being a bother?

Quote Originally Posted by TxYoteHunter View Post
    What time of year do all of these biting flies and other pest cease being a bother?
    As long as you're hunting in September (regular moose season) you will see bugs. Numbers will vary, depending on the weather, but there won't be enough of a freeze to kill them off. Bug repellant & a headnet are cheap, lightweight insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by TxYoteHunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    As long as you're hunting in September (regular moose season) you will see bugs. Numbers will vary, depending on the weather, but there won't be enough of a freeze to kill them off. Bug repellant & a headnet are cheap, lightweight insurance.
    They are out in earnest by early June and are significant pests until there are several heavy frosts, which occurs sometime in early to mid September.

I agree with Gary, a head net and concentrated DEET are cheap insurance...

Thats the unit I picked to hunt moose. 1 out of 3 in 2003 and 2005.Not bad for 1st. timers out of Pa.
    Are you going drop or float?
    3 things I can say Ben's100,never let go of your gun and moose are the most work I have ever done.

Heed the bug net and deet advice, matter of fact bring a couple nets, they tend to get snagged and lost easy. I have suffered greatly learning that lesson and spent hours looking for a lost one.

Don't be in a rush to get down river, the grass is not always greener so to speak. Some of the best hunting is near the drop off point as many floaters are in a hurry to get down river.

Recon your float route and look for good places to glass and call from and be patient.

Be safe and have a great experience, might want to ask about fishing opportunities, great way to spend some down time.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

In the same vein as stid, here is a pic of GMU 17 no-seeums. If I could figure out how to make the pic larger you'd get a much better impression of the several hundred no-seeums in this photo...
    5907147211_5abbf6f51d_m.jpg

Make sure you read the regs closely - looks like 17A and 17C are closed to non-residents for moose hunting this year, and only part of 17B is open for non-res moose. Make sure you're floating through the portion of the unit that's open to non-residents, or you might as well be fishing.

What MDhunter said.

What river are you floating on, I could check some maps and see if all or some of the river is available to you. Don't bother with the 100 % deet, all it does is ruin you stuff. I use either 33 or 50% and that suffices without putting a super solvent on your skin anything else it will melt. Indeed, the bugs can be bad, basically pray for cool or wet or windy weather. My last two out here were on bluebird days and I was bug welted and itchy way after my muscles stopped being sore from packing. Shoulder length gloves are helpful (hot,but helpful) when it comes to keeping the bugs from boring holes in you as you are slinging away with your knife.

Can also help on fishing opportunities if you let me know which river. Have a great trip, sw Alaska moose hunting is a pretty good time all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    What MDhunter said.

What river are you floating on, I could check some maps and see if all or some of the river is available to you. Don't bother with the 100 % deet, all it does is ruin you stuff. I use either 33 or 50% and that suffices without putting a super solvent on your skin anything else it will melt. Indeed, the bugs can be bad, basically pray for cool or wet or windy weather. My last two out here were on bluebird days and I was bug welted and itchy way after my muscles stopped being sore from packing. Shoulder length gloves are helpful (hot,but helpful) when it comes to keeping the bugs from boring holes in you as you are slinging away with your knife.

Can also help on fishing opportunities if you let me know which river. Have a great trip, sw Alaska moose hunting is a pretty good time all the way around.
    Hey Catch It,

Does the Muddy Rudder still sell bug jackets? That's the best $10 I ever spent! Bought one there back in 2002, still have it to this day, and still use it on my Alaska hunts.

Michael

I largely avoid the dining establishments in DLG so I couldn't tell you, but even backcalculating for inflation....I didn't know you could get anything for ten bucks in Dillingham

Bug jackets are indeed awesome, I haven't broke em out for the past few years, our summers have been so cool the bugs really haven't materialized, but it's always in the boat for if an animal is down or god forbid, the temp breaks 60 degrees.

For a moose hunt out in GMU unit 17 I would recommend flying with Bay Air out of Dillingham. Owned/operated by Tom and Janet Schlagel. (907) 842-2570. WWW.BayAir-alaska.com.
    Safe, experienced, Reliable x 10. Large garage area for sorting gear. Neighbor Steve assists with logistics, including reasonable B&B.
    Has been my "go-to air support service" for the last eight Septembers. I believe in em, and they have always been fair to everybody I know.
    Sure bring your headnet, but you will probably not need it until you start taking a moose apart. In the last 16 years my client-hunters and I have harvested over 200 moose, 'bou (in the past), wolf and bear-both browns and blacks- and I have used a headnet exactly three times, in early september.
    Happy hunting in that beautiful tundra country. If an a river, bring a fishing rod.
    Dennis

A headnet is a temporary (at best) reprieve from the bugs... What annoys me the most, is the constant "buzzing" which a headnet does nothing to deter. I wear enough BENS 100 to keep the bites to a minimum. And, hardly ever wear a headnet. If they only made a Spray that disabled their Miserable little voice boxes!!! Then I'd be happy!! Oh, and you will curse the wind also. Right up until it stops....Then the Buzzing begins! haha Where'd that wind go?... The vicious Cylce of Western Alaska.

You will have fun anyways. Good Luck on your Adventure.

I agree with what Roland on the river said about High Adventure air, don't forget to bring GOOD rain gear and dry bags for your gear

To get an idea of how bad the bugs can get check out this video at the 3:40 point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQtl2DVxKI

Also, once get an animal down, make sure to use a net and gloves, they are drawn by the blood smell and will make you miserable while clean your game.
    I will most times build a fire up wind so that it let smoke drift back over the kill site, this really helps.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I flew with HAA last year and now know them as friends. There is a cabin nearby that you can rent that is clean and comfortable. HAA will give you the contact for this cabin. Omit the net and spray at your own peril.

Here is what one is compelled to do when they omit the net:

Here is a video about bugs. I hope it works (turn up the volume).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast