Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now How Anal Is That???

Default Now How Anal Is That???

Now How Anal Is That???

I just loaded ten deer hunting loads for my 300Win mag 165gr HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Rem brass, 250CCI primers. I weighted everything but the primers - I weighed the bullets, brass and powder. The average weight of the ten rounds was 481.26grs the extreme for the 10 rounds was .9grs - Highest weight being 481.6grs and lowest being 480.7grs Now if your throw out the top and lowest weight the average was 481.2875grs. If you subtract the two averages you get .0275grs. In other words, I have just about perfection when it comes to the weight of my loads. Now, how anal is that???
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey, if it does something for you, then get after it. You don't need to splain nuttin to nobody.

Shoot that is half the fun of reloading and getting constant and consistent good groups out of my rifles, so I can explain it The tighter I can get my groups off the bench the better it serves me in the field to be able to put the bullet right where I want to put it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will start a reloading session with 50 pieces of brass (same brand). Once they are cleaned, de-primed, primer pocket cleaned and reamed and the flash hole uniformed and the case trimmed to length, I weight them. I select the group that has the most pieces of brass with identical weights and continue the process with the bullets. I weigh each of them and choose the largest batch of identical weights. I then reweigh the powder charge. I do nothing with the primers. They are what they are, nothing I can go about them. Once I have them all assembled the weights are typically and for the most part identical. That is why my Std. Dev. is typically 4 - 7fps out of my 300Win Mag. Now that is Anal ! LOL
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Now How Anal Is That???

I just loaded ten deer hunting loads for my 300Win mag 165gr HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Rem brass, 250CCI primers. I weighted everything but the primers - I weighed the bullets, brass and powder. The average weight of the ten rounds was 481.26grs the extreme for the 10 rounds was .9grs - Highest weight being 481.6grs and lowest being 480.7grs Now if your throw out the top and lowest weight the average was 481.2875grs. If you subtract the two averages you get .0275grs. In other words, I have just about perfection when it comes to the weight of my loads. Now, how anal is that???
    I thought I was the only nut on the forum. I got so used to doing crazy stuff for my LR rifle that I do it with everything or I feel guilty for being lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    i thought i was the only nut on the forum. I got so used to doing crazy stuff for my lr rifle that i do it with everything or i feel guilty for being lazy...
    amen!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If you were doing that for your 45acp or 9mm, that would be anal and no I don't.

I only do this for my rifles
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Maybe, maybe not

Since you have already done the hard part why don't you load up some identical loads without all the prep and compare the groups you get with each?

Others have done the same with varing results but each rifle and shooter is different.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have done so, but not on purpose. I was in a hurry to shoot with some friends and did not have much time to do load preparation so I just put my loads together without going through my regular process, like I did when I first starting reloading and hunting with my reloads. The results convinced me that what I was now doing what was right. My groups were 7/8 to 1 1/2" instead of 1/4" to 1/2" at 100yds and my deviation was so bad that my groups down range were unacceptable to me. Been there and done that and I want to know that know matter where I am hunting and taking long shots that are at the end of my limit in the field that my loads will do their part if I do mine.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You must love what your doing, that's a good thing. I just don't have the time and patience for it. Maybe when I retire. I do like reading a well written in depth article on hand loading for big game rounds. I just wish those that do it for a living would reach a consensus on what is the best way to get the best out of ones chosen caliber and loads. It will probably be a never ending search for perfection. Still, I like it.

338mag, I do love shooting, load work and hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would do that when I shot Silhouette. Time consuming but shot placement was just as much a mental game as doping the wind and learning what to expect as the day warmed up in terms of where the bullet ended up. At least I knew what to expect from the ammo.

LOL, nothing wrong with you BT as long as you "finally" reach an end in the search for perfection with a load or gun - when you wear out a barrel or two if trying to find something that's not there than its time for a trip to the shrink!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    LOL, nothing wrong with you BT as long as you "finally" reach an end in the search for perfection with a load or gun - when you wear out a barrel or two if trying to find something that's not there than its time for a trip to the shrink!
    Fortunately, I have never shot out a barrel trying to find an accurate load. If I did do you think it would be ethical for me to make an appointment with myself since I am a licensed clinical therapist???
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I find reloading to be very therapudic (sp) and depending on how much therapy I need at any particular time determines how anal I get. Shooting the reloads also is a great stress reliever. Your probably lucky more folks don't shoot and reload as it could put you out of work. Keep up the good work and if you ever feel the need to see yourself you could always do all the prep work for all your pistol rounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I find reloading to be very therapudic (sp) and depending on how much therapy I need at any particular time determines how anal I get. Shooting the reloads also is a great stress reliever. Your probably lucky more folks don't shoot and reload as it could put you out of work. Keep up the good work and if you ever feel the need to see yourself you could always do all the prep work for all your pistol rounds as well.
    Yeah, lets not talk about my pistol rounds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Now, how anal is that???
    it's not...unless you line them up and take pictures of them

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    it's not...unless you line them up and take pictures of them
    You mean like this
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I will start a reloading session with 50 pieces of brass (same brand). Once they are cleaned, de-primed, primer pocket cleaned and reamed and the flash hole uniformed and the case trimmed to length, I weight them. I select the group that has the most pieces of brass with identical weights and continue the process with the bullets. I weigh each of them and choose the largest batch of identical weights. I then reweigh the powder charge. I do nothing with the primers. They are what they are, nothing I can go about them. Once I have them all assembled the weights are typically and for the most part identical. That is why my Std. Dev. is typically 4 - 7fps out of my 300Win Mag. Now that is Anal ! LOL
    Nice job. If you don't mind sharing more info ...so how does that translate to your guns precision and accuracy? Bullets groupings at say 100 yards, 300 yards and further would be interesting to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast