Thread: When can we start talking about silvers on the Little Su?

Default When can we start talking about silvers on the Little Su?

Jet Blue just announced Long Beach CA to ANC for $129 each way. I'm coming back up the end of July. King fishing sucked, will silvers be any better?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I cant imagine that it would suck that bad since there are more fish. Im ready for em too.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Jet Blue just announced Long Beach CA to ANC for $129 each way. I'm coming back up the end of July. King fishing sucked, will silvers be any better?
    Silvers return in good numbers along the parks. End of July should be prime time for them
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

All projections are for a good return of silvers. Changes in commercial regulation should help move the run throughout August, too, so I'm expecting a good year! Last weekend one was caught on Willow Creek, and Deshka as well... there should be a few stragglers in there already, and by mid July, game on!

AOJ has a report of a silver at ship,

but then the person reporting also claims 3 kings from ship, that this years fishing was better than last years, and has a fairly simple spelling error soooo.... take that report for what it's worth

Makes more sense that the "silver" was probably a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    AOJ has a report of a silver at ship,

but then the person reporting also claims 3 kings from ship, that this years fishing was better than last years, and has a fairly simple spelling error soooo.... take that report for what it's worth

Makes more sense that the "silver" was probably a jack.
    LOL. Ive caught a few "silvers" at ship then.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    All projections are for a good return of silvers. Changes in commercial regulation should help move the run throughout August, too, so I'm expecting a good year! Last weekend one was caught on Willow Creek, and Deshka as well... there should be a few stragglers in there already, and by mid July, game on!
    Is possible I guess, but again more likely the "silvers" were reds or jacks or chums. A friend on mine caught a nice bright fish out a knik drainage stream in early July and immediately had 10 people rush over all excited by his "silver". Another friend (biologist) took one look at the photo and said "nice red"! Then proceeded to educate the two of us on particulars of fish physiology. The lesson is most people can't tell the difference between a Red, silver, Chum, or even a pink when they are still chrome colored.

Most people can tell the difference or should be able to if they are fishing for them. They all look quite different even when they are "chrome".

Quote Originally Posted by dgfishwell View Post
    Most people can tell the difference or should be able to if they are fishing for them. They all look quite different even when they are "chrome".
    Yea. "should". And "can" and "what actually happens". Are not all the same thing. I thought it was a red right off but with a half dozen or so "locals" telling me it was a silver I was doubting my identification skills. You know the 5 year import and all just not as experienced as the life long alaskans who have been fishing here their whole lives.

I see it all the time on cottonwood creek. People catch a crome fish and yell that they have a silver, when it's obviously a red. I just smile and say, hey nice silver dude.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I see it all the time on cottonwood creek. People catch a crome fish and yell that they have a silver, when it's obviously a red. I just smile and say, hey nice silver dude.
    The way I look at it that just lets one more fish get by. Let them keep the reds as silvers.

you can catch Silvers at the mouth by July 4 [not many] but they are there , an gets better as time goes on , it takes time to get up to the boat launch good luck
    SId