Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: When can we start talking about silvers on the Little Su?

  1. #1
    Member ysr_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Happily in So Cal.
    Posts
    583

    Default When can we start talking about silvers on the Little Su?

    Jet Blue just announced Long Beach CA to ANC for $129 each way. I'm coming back up the end of July. King fishing sucked, will silvers be any better?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

  2. #2
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    I cant imagine that it would suck that bad since there are more fish. Im ready for em too.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  3. #3
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Jet Blue just announced Long Beach CA to ANC for $129 each way. I'm coming back up the end of July. King fishing sucked, will silvers be any better?
    Silvers return in good numbers along the parks. End of July should be prime time for them
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  4. #4
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    All projections are for a good return of silvers. Changes in commercial regulation should help move the run throughout August, too, so I'm expecting a good year! Last weekend one was caught on Willow Creek, and Deshka as well... there should be a few stragglers in there already, and by mid July, game on!

  5. #5
    Member Sierra Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    329

    Default

    AOJ has a report of a silver at ship,

    but then the person reporting also claims 3 kings from ship, that this years fishing was better than last years, and has a fairly simple spelling error soooo.... take that report for what it's worth

    Makes more sense that the "silver" was probably a jack.

  6. #6
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    AOJ has a report of a silver at ship,

    but then the person reporting also claims 3 kings from ship, that this years fishing was better than last years, and has a fairly simple spelling error soooo.... take that report for what it's worth

    Makes more sense that the "silver" was probably a jack.
    LOL. Ive caught a few "silvers" at ship then.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  7. #7
    Member Sierra Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    All projections are for a good return of silvers. Changes in commercial regulation should help move the run throughout August, too, so I'm expecting a good year! Last weekend one was caught on Willow Creek, and Deshka as well... there should be a few stragglers in there already, and by mid July, game on!
    Is possible I guess, but again more likely the "silvers" were reds or jacks or chums. A friend on mine caught a nice bright fish out a knik drainage stream in early July and immediately had 10 people rush over all excited by his "silver". Another friend (biologist) took one look at the photo and said "nice red"! Then proceeded to educate the two of us on particulars of fish physiology. The lesson is most people can't tell the difference between a Red, silver, Chum, or even a pink when they are still chrome colored.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Most people can tell the difference or should be able to if they are fishing for them. They all look quite different even when they are "chrome".

  9. #9
    Member Sierra Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfishwell View Post
    Most people can tell the difference or should be able to if they are fishing for them. They all look quite different even when they are "chrome".
    Yea. "should". And "can" and "what actually happens". Are not all the same thing. I thought it was a red right off but with a half dozen or so "locals" telling me it was a silver I was doubting my identification skills. You know the 5 year import and all just not as experienced as the life long alaskans who have been fishing here their whole lives.

  10. #10
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I see it all the time on cottonwood creek. People catch a crome fish and yell that they have a silver, when it's obviously a red. I just smile and say, hey nice silver dude.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I see it all the time on cottonwood creek. People catch a crome fish and yell that they have a silver, when it's obviously a red. I just smile and say, hey nice silver dude.
    The way I look at it that just lets one more fish get by. Let them keep the reds as silvers.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    you can catch Silvers at the mouth by July 4 [not many] but they are there , an gets better as time goes on , it takes time to get up to the boat launch good luck
    SId

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •