Thread: FAVA beans and dogs.....not a good mix!!!

Exclamation FAVA beans and dogs.....not a good mix!!!

A few weeks back I got my Full Circle veggies which included one pound of fresh fava beans. I thought that was a novel selection to have shipped but one pound does not really give many of the beans.... but I am getting off my point.

I generally share anything natural and fresh with my three dogs. They love oranges, apples, berries, green beans, salad, carrots, green peppers.......you name it. So, as I generally do...I offered to share my larder with my best buds. As I shelled the fava's I tossed the shells, which were meaty and crunchy green, to my waiting pooches. I hadn't considered anything to be bad about them as they were crunchy and green and the dogs woofed them up.

Within 1/2 hour, my two Westies threw them up and then again and again!!! While cleaning up said upchucked fava shells I noted an acrid odor and became concerned as to whether I may have given theme something toxic. Kai, my yellow lab pup, showed no sign of intestinal distress....but then....he IS a lab and they are known to eat just about anything....socks....shoes....my dinner......you name it.

Well...due to the odor and the response of my two Westies I got online and found out that they are on the TOXIC list for pets. I looked at numerous sites which all said the same thing. Nausea, vommiting, malaise...and could be lethal. I freaked and called my vet who said to keep watch on them for lethargy and further breathing distress and waited out the night. They made it fine, but I learned an important piece of information and thought I'd save any others the distress I went through by alerting you all that fava beans, shells or plants are toxic to our pets!

There must have been a bit of sinister something about them if the evil Hannibel Lector brought them up in the Silence of the Lambs. Liver, fava beans and a nice chianti. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjGpcEA-FyE (forgot how creepy that guy was.....)

At any rate...it all worked out....but only after extended worry for my dog's health.

Bottom line......NO FAVA BEANS FOR DOGS!!!

FF

"The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Farmgirl View Post

Within 1/2 hour, my two Westies threw them up and then again and again!!!
    I have two Westies, too! Cessna and Piper.....not very original names but they are good little pups. :-) That is good to know about the fava beans and dogs....thanks for sharing that.

025.jpg

A toxic food list that every dog owner needs to commit to memory...

Chocolate
    Coffee or anything containing caffeine
    Onions or Garlic
    Mushrooms
    Grapes
    Raisins
    Macadamia Nuts (don't feed a dog nuts of any type)
    Apricots or Peaches
    Raw Eggs
    Raw Fish
    Beef fat
    Milk & Dairy Products

Oh, and Fava Beans!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

northbird1 I see who is in charge of your operation,Have a Cairn Terrier and as far as she is concerned she will do it her way and when the time suites her.

Wink

Well then....if it's Westies and Cairns we're talking about...here are mine! Buzz...on left...is 18 years old....and doing wonderfully well. Still frisky...and healthy. Luna...on right is now 5 and a sweetheart.

LOVE those names....Cessna and Piper....perfect!!! Cairns are amazing eh??? Do you know the history of the guy who bred the brown and black out of them to make Westies visible during hunting excursions??? Pretty cool story.

BUZZ.jpgDSC_0044.jpg

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Have a Cairn Terrier and as far as she is concerned she will do it her way and when the time suites her.
    Yep! The Cairns/Westies/Scotties definitely have "attitude"! LOL!

Well then....if it's Westies and Cairns we're talking about...here are mine! Buzz...on left...is 18 years old....and doing wonderfully well. Still frisky...and healthy. Luna...on right is now 5 and a sweetheart.

LOVE those names....Cessna and Piper....perfect!!! Cairns are amazing eh??? Do you know the history of the guy who bred the brown and black out of them to make Westies visible during hunting excursions??? Pretty cool story.

Attachment 50539Attachment 50540

FF
    Yes, very cool about how the Westies came about!.... I can't open your pictures of Buzz and Luna... Big Bend, how about a Cairn pic,too!

You should be able to see them now. They are wonderful dogs. Just wonderful!!!

FF

You should be able to see them now. They are wonderful dogs. Just wonderful!!!

FF
    OMG, they are so cute!! Is that a little pack that Luna has on? I'm so glad to hear that Buzz is 18....Cessna is going on 8 and I'm hoping that she lives long enough to enjoy retirement with me (Heck, I hope I live long enough to get to retirement! LOL!)

LOL!!! I hear THAT!!!

Yes...Luna is the designated coat carrier in the winter. Inside the little pack are their overcoats and boots if/when needed.

Buzz has never had a single health issue in all of his 18 years. The vets continue to be amazed at his good health. Cataracts are the only issue currently. Not bad for an old boy. Luna can be credited for extending his life me thinks. She keeps him active and has been a wonderful friend to him.

FF

That's good to hear that Buzz has been healthy all his years. Cessna has food allergies but once I got her food figured out (vet said it was either corn, soy, or wheat so now feed lamb/rice), she was fine. Piper was a Dora Bay, POW-bred pup that went to Metlakatla....his folks there couldn't keep him so I adopted him when I was in Ketchikan.

Quote Originally Posted by northbird1 View Post
    Yep! The Cairns/Westies/Scotties definitely have "attitude"! LOL!
    Cairns/Westies/Scotties/Schnauzers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Cairns/Westies/Scotties/Schnauzers
    Cuuuuute picture! :-)

Wonderful picture! Love it! If that doesn't show 'tude' I don't know what does!!! We do love our 'kids' don't we???

FF

northbird1 this is my leader that I take all of my orders from.
    dog,pot&birds 003.jpg

Big Bend, that is such a cute look your dog is giving you! Gotta' love 'em!

seems to be quite funny and interesting...LOL. I'm kidding but don't know why I'm laughing. :P
    "Well...due to the odor and the response of my two Westies I got online and found out that they are on the TOXIC
    list for pets."