Thread: Crabbing in K-bay

Default Crabbing in K-bay

I am looking to get into crabbing this summer. What pots do you guys use for tanners? I have been looking at pot builders and donalsons. I don't know who to go with. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have two of Potbuilders pots and I love them. They catch crab and don't take up much space since they are collaspable. I put mine on my extended transome and tie them off taking virtually no space on the deck and an ace pot puller pulls one up just fine. One thing though is don't put a whole lot of faith on those clips they come with for the bottom of the pot. If you coming up with lots of crab, the bottom is questionable with only 2 clips. I use 4 heavy zip ties for the bottom and for the top I use 2 of the clips it comes with along with tying the bridal. I've had the pot half full of crab with no issues this way.

I prefer the 4x4 gear shed pots over all others. these are made at the gear shed in Homer.
    They are a stacking pot and they sre probably the most widely used pot in Homer.
    I have caught hundreds of crabs in these pots.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks... What are the prices for these pots?

I believe gear shed pots are running about $140-$160 a piece if I remember right.
    When they first started making them in 08 when they opened crabbing back up they were $120.
    I guess the price of everything has been going up lately.
    Nothing wrong with Steve's pots when I used them but I had better luck with the Gearshed pots.
    I tried the 3x3 gearshed pots last year and fishing a 3x3 next to a 4x4 the 4x4 always did better.
    The Donaldson pots look ok but they appear a little small to me. That just an opinion based on seeing their pictures and a description of the size.
    All of these pots work. I just found that I had the best luck with the Gearshed 4x4 pot.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I have two of Potbuilders pots and I love them. They catch crab and don't take up much space since they are collaspable. I put mine on my extended transome and tie them off taking virtually no space on the deck and an ace pot puller pulls one up just fine. One thing though is don't put a whole lot of faith on those clips they come with for the bottom of the pot. If you coming up with lots of crab, the bottom is questionable with only 2 clips. I use 4 heavy zip ties for the bottom and for the top I use 2 of the clips it comes with along with tying the bridal. I've had the pot half full of crab with no issues this way.
    I've gone to a much heavier duty clip now, almost need two hands to open them..

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

i think the 3x3 pots are too small. the crabs can get the bait without coming all the way in, so when they are done they just walk back out. also, they tend to tumble in the deep gut beyond the green can, more so than the 4bys. they stay put in tutka (unless they get stolen), but there is less prolonged heavy current there. still don't fish well.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Found crushed up empty beer cans in my pot last year. I think I know at least one of the culprits stealing crab in Tutka. I'll be doing"citizen's sting" operation this year...