Thread: motor for a 14' otter

Default motor for a 14' otter

I am planning on floating the keani canyon and have a question on using my 2 HP motor to push my 14' NRS across the lake. Do you guys think that is enough motor? Thanks for your help

In a word no however it is possible just not the best option. You might have to pick your time with great care. 14ft otters kick is a little high and the winds on the Lake can be somewhat "well" nasty at times. Safety Safety Safety. Last time I did it had an 8 Horse and that was fun all in it-self. I hope some more forum members chime in with additional views.

Thanks for your input bluemoose. I guess I might have to find a different option.

I'm wondering have you ran it before on a lake?If so how did it feel? I have a 13 otter and also a 2hp honda that I've never ran together.I'd like to though. just for the lower crossing to the middle.I need to figure some motor mount out. On my 11 ft double end the 2 moves it along good.

Power drifter, I have not put the combo together yet. I still need to get a mount for the raft. I will let you know if I get the two together.

P.D. I run once in a while a 3.5 on 14 and 15ft Otters Slef Bailing across Paxon they push just fine also run them on the Gulkana and the Chena just fine moves right along just have to keep her off step :-) so that water does not get to deep in the back of the raft. Steering is ick at best however doable with a little help on the oars sometimes in rivers. The only issue I have with the middle crossing is the wind and waves. Now and again it catches the boat hard as in pushes you to the far bank in the direction the wind is blowing. It is some distance as you know from point A to Point B and that darn lake is big, bad and can be daunting some days. Of course some peoples comfort levels tend to be higher than others and someone people don't scare easy. As my wife stated years ago I must be a fuzzy chicken. Best Wishes all.

Moose-O

We did from Kenai to Skilak this weekend. My friends motor would not start before we left so I bought a 5HP Tohatsu 4stroke. I had been saving up a while for one and this was a good excuse. I used his mount on my 14' Otter and pulled his 16' Sotar, 4 adults 5 kids and lots of gear. Water was totally flat. We did the Mouth of Kenai to Upper Skilak Campground in just under 1.5 hours. I was breaking the motor in so I did not go over 3/4 power, but it seemed to me that there was not much of a difference in real speed between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. My motor angle was not perpendicular, I think I could have gone faster with a better mount system setup. I would like to see a picture of the off to the side mount setup If anyone is willing to share.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Got a few of it down

I've floated the Kenai and crossed Skilak in some nasty weather a few times. It is rather unpredictable too. What starts out to be a nice sunny day, can end up a howling surprise by the time you get to the lake. Still, I find a 2.5hp motor enough to keep my cataraft, off the rocks and moving in the right direction. I'll even pull a second raft behind the cat with it. It still makes enough headway to keep moving in the right direction, but it takes considerable time to do the 8 miles if the wind is against you. Be sure to pack plenty of fuel for a long trip. I do note that motoring a cat is a far easier proposition than a round raft.

One time, 5' seas flooded water into my fuel tank's breather intake and the motor refused to run after the first 1/4 mile or so. I had enough distance to row past the point (SE from the river's mouth), and once there was able to lash an oar into the air and attach a tarp. Since the wind was blowing hard to the West we sailed to the campground. If the wind was contrary, or the motor had failed earlier, with us closer to the rocks, things could have turned out very differently. It is a nasty lake.