Thread: looking for 3000 fps loads for 7mm08

Default looking for 3000 fps loads for 7mm08

anybody have a load for 140 grn accubond at or close to 3000 fps for 7mm08 rem.?

If you want to be at 3000 fps your going to have to go to a 130gr bullet. With 4064 you may see 2900 or there abouts but watch for pressure signs. That cartridge just loves that powder and Tubbs had great success with it in HP Silhouette.

What Barrel Length............?????

barrel is 24"... I know 3000 is askin alot for 140 grn. but I know it can work. Just tryin to work up a load for sheep. I've had decent success with 44.6 grn varget and nosler partition at 2940 fps.

100 fps more or less isn't going to make that much difference. If you feel you need more, there are bigger 7mm cases that can reach 140 at 3000 without pushing things to the max +. If your partition is working well without excessive pressure at 2940, I think you can quit looking for something better. Another 60fps is only 2% difference. Not worth pushing things. IMHO accuracy is more important than max velocity.

Thanx, I'll play around with the loads to find the most accurate one. I'm pretty new to reloading but sure havin fun with it.

RL17 works well in that case. I use it in the .243 with good results. You may get what you're looking for without going overboard on pressure. I can't guarantee you'll hit 3000 fps, but you just might. I'd start at 42.0 grains and work up to around 45.0 and see what you get.

Here is a burn rate chart for most of the popular powders. http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm

Your no different than any of the millions of people who have been bitten by the reloading bug and got velocityitus. Just pay attention to pressure signs and keep distractions to a minumum when reloading.
    50, 100 or even 150fps difference at the muzzle isn't going to mean much at 300yds as long as the bullet chosen is still capable of expansion within the velocity range it was designed for.
    Altitude and temperature also have an effect between load developement at 70dgF/Sea Level and a shooting condition of 7000/10dgF.

Take out some good insurance before you get serious about 3K with a 140 7mm-08. I don't think you can go it safely. Good luck and write if you make it. J.

You will get one heck of a BOOM out of that load. You are pushing it a bit to hard. The 7mm-08 was not meant for that. Is 60fps worth it?? Not one animal in the state would know the difference. The 7mm-08 is a heck of a round. Use it and enjoy and who cares about 60fps?

yeah its called a 280 remington or 7 mag next question...

Have your rifle punched out to an Ackley Improved version of the 7mm-08. A $150 gunsmithing job plus the $100 loading dies. You get the advantages of the small compact short action rifle, use of all your 7mm08 brass and you will get your targeted velocities. I just returned from the range yesterday with my Kimber 84 Montana in 7mm-08 Ackley Improved 23" barrel and I am getting 3023 avg fps. The load is as follows:
    Winchester 7mm08 brass reformed in my Ackley chamber
    Fed 210 Match Primer
    140gr Nosler Accubond Bullet
    51grs H4350
    2.789" OAL
    That load is running just shy of pressure signs. Case head expansion of less than .0005" (you will need a micrometer that reads to .0001" to check this). I don't see how you will even come close to a safe load in a conventional 7mm08 desiring 3000 fps with a 140gr bullet without a 28" plus barrel length.

If you just have to get 3000 fps at the muzzle, drop to a 120 gr barnes tsx.

Trying to make a 7-08 into a 7wsm without rechambering isn't the best move, and even a .284 winchester re-chamber will be hard pressed to hit 3000 w/ 140's without being pushed hard.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Just a point of interest.....the Encore 15" 7mm/08 pistol I have has killed 4 deer out to about 200 yds with a 140 Remington corelokt at about 2350 fps....deer showed no sign of being disappointed that the bullet was going so slow.

I'm not sure why you need 3,000 fps anyway. I took my 280 to Namibia 2 years ago and killed 17 animals with it. Load was 2900 m/l with the 140gr TTSX bullet. That's plenty. I shot game out to 375 yds with no problem at all, and this included Oryx, which are supposed to be so hard to put down. Also, you may be reading too much about long range shots on sheep, when I believe the average is about 200 yds.. as for the AI round, stay away from it. You need to have your action modified to feed it right, and then it'll never be right for any other round that's not a straight sided case. Also, if you build in more powder capacity, you'll use up about 60% of the additional capacity getting back to the speed you were getting before altering the case. What you have is fine, leave it alone. When I was just in RSA the PH I hunted with LOVED his 7x57, which the 7mm08 is a clone of on a shorter case. Not real need for more (Jack O'Connor killed sheep with his 7x57, as did Eleanor his wife).

Quote Originally Posted by frugal1 View Post
    I'm not sure why you need 3,000 fps anyway. I took my 280 to Namibia 2 years ago and killed 17 animals with it. Load was 2900 m/l with the 140gr TTSX bullet. That's plenty. I shot game out to 375 yds with no problem at all, and this included Oryx, which are supposed to be so hard to put down. Also, you may be reading too much about long range shots on sheep, when I believe the average is about 200 yds.. as for the AI round, stay away from it. You need to have your action modified to feed it right, and then it'll never be right for any other round that's not a straight sided case. Also, if you build in more powder capacity, you'll use up about 60% of the additional capacity getting back to the speed you were getting before altering the case. What you have is fine, leave it alone. When I was just in RSA the PH I hunted with LOVED his 7x57, which the 7mm08 is a clone of on a shorter case. Not real need for more (Jack O'Connor killed sheep with his 7x57, as did Eleanor his wife).
    I think I agree with all this including that the gemsbok/oryx is hard to put down...they are tough, a favorite food for lion.

In some actions the AI can feed very well but if modified you can't go back and 100 fps is about all its worth in the 7-08 case. Also 2900 is enough...in fact a 140 at 2800 ish is what I've used on several different species including sheep and a 450+ yard shot on a prairie goat. I don't think that you could expect to gain anything by dropping bullet weight to get there either.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm not sure you need that much velocity, or the Accubond for that matter. Sheep just aren't all that tough.

I've slain (slewn?) a whole lot of deer and one elk over the years using the 139 gr Hornady SP at 2700fps from various 7x57's and 2900 fps from a couple of 284 Winnies. Even though it's not in keeping with the current fad for high tech bullets, it has been the perfect combo of trajectory, expansion and penetration for thin-skinned game. I've recovered several perfect mushrooms from angling shots on larger deer, but mostly it's been pass-through shots with good exit holes and very quick kills including that elk. Never so much as a hint of a bullet coming apart.