Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Moose Federation gets 1.8 million+ grant from state

Default Alaska Moose Federation gets 1.8 million+ grant from state

Was looking at Gov Parnell's vetoes and the final budget, AMF got 1.8 million + from general fund.

Just thought it was interesting, cuz I know they have gotten tens of thousands in state funds in the past, but someone was on here this winter asking for donations to run a snowcat for them, at the same time legislators had already put through this request.

23 Commerce, Community and Economic Development
    Southcentral Areawide (HD 12-35)
    Alaska Moose Federation Conservation Fund, Inc. - Expand Statewide Moose Salvage Program
    Amount Pre-Veto - 775,800
    Total Vetoed - 202,000
    General Fund Balance Remaining - 573,800

24 Commerce, Community and Economic Development
    Southcentral Areawide (HD 12-35)
    Alaska Moose Federation Conservation Fund, Inc. - Rescue and Relocate Orphaned Moose Calves
    Amount Pre-Veto - 1,441,500
    Total Vetoed - 137,000
    General Fund Balance Remaining - 1,304,500

Just curious who determines where the calves will be relocated? ADFG or AMF
    Chuck

Honestly don't know, Chuck, AMF has some three different websites, I thought this was the right one:
    http://www.growmoremoose.org/

But there is no info on the relocation stuff.

simply amazing.. moose calf rearing for re-release has been proven to be an epic-fail endeavor, embarrassing to see the legislature scammed like this.
    no doubt the grant involves some hefty salaries for administrators who have friends in high places.
    total BS, an absolute swindle from the get-go.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-stand-its-own
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Curious as to where you guys think the money should go?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    no doubt the grant involves some hefty salaries for administrators who have friends in high places.
    total BS, an absolute swindle from the get-go.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...-stand-its-own
    Color me cynical, but how much of that 1.8 million is going to end up in election campaigns?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Curious as to where you guys think the money should go?
    ADFG they are the ones mandated to manage Alaska's wildlife not a private corp.
    Chuck

You want to save moose calves? Loosen bear hunting reg's. No money spent. Lots of money flowing in.

Now, what happens in a couple years and this money runs out? Double down? This is not a self-sustaining business venture, it's a non-profit black hole.

Taylor

Well the DOT is mandated with maintaining highways and they hire outsiders to work on the highways. Why the difference with wildlife?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    You want to save moose calves? Loosen bear hunting reg's. No money spent. Lots of money flowing in.
    Taylor
    We could start with brownies on the Kenai Pen......

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Well the DOT is mandated with maintaining highways and they hire outsiders to work on the highways. Why the difference with wildlife?
    DOT contractors are accountable to the DOT non-profits don't have that accountability. It's like Marc said non-profits are not a business they are a bottomless black hole.
    Chuck

Fish and game "managment" is a bottomless black hole anyway what's the difference if state employees get the money or a nonprofit? Back to my question what would you people complaining about who got the money like to see the money spent on?
    Unknown author

Before anyone complains.............perhaps we should know just what the Federation does. I don't know much about them and I'm currently too busy to research their website.
    What will they do/accomplish with this money?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So let me get this straight. AKBCHA doesn't like SFW but they are the only ones actively working to improve things in unit 16. AKBHA doesn't like the AKWSF and actually managed to throw enough mud that the organization is all but dead in AK. Now you are turning fire on the one organization that I know is out there trying to make things better for moose. Habitat, habitat, habitat.... I have seen with my own eyes AMF's work to improve habitat. I have never outside of this forum and ADN editorials seen AKBHA involved in anything. No offense intended but it seems that AKBHA and the sierra club contribute about the same amount to wildlife management and improving habitat, habitat, habitat...

I am with martentrapper on this one I would like to know what AMF does for moose?

I trust Alaska Moose Federation a helluva lot more than any of those goverment drones I can tell you that much.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

AMF Programs:

Orphan Calf Release, Rural Moose Population Growth, Moose Highway/Railroad right of way project, Moose education.

Can't click on any of them except orphan calf release.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I am with martentrapper on this one I would like to know what AMF does for moose?
    Hop on a wheeler and wonder around the Moose range north of Palmer. The land clearing and habitat improvement out there is primarily AMF. The snowcat trails to keep moose off the highway is AMF. They are also working to save moose calves orphaned in the valley. I don't know how I feel about that last one but I wouild like to see some studies done on the released calves using radio collars. Be nice to see them released down on the K-pen.

Default Lujon, wow that was quite the rant

Sheesh, Jon, this has nothing to do with AK BHA.

I think what AMF does with roadkill salvages and clearing winter trails is great. But this thing with rebuilding rural moose herds with saved calves has never really added up.

I just took a look at the AMF site, it says they are 100 percent funded by donations, and they ask for moose calf food, bottles, kennels, and they are still asking for people to donate fuel cards. The only reason I posted this was because of the thread this past winter where someone was asking for fuel donations, turns out all this was going through the legislature at the time. And they have gotten tens of thousands of dollars from the state in the past.

If I started a non-profit and said that corp or org was 100 percent funded by donations, and all along I was getting money from the state, and then I get 1.8 million from the state and my website is still asking for donations...something is not adding up here.

[Edit: someone just told me AMF had lost their non-profit status, not sure if that is true or not but if it is then this is really just strange, without non-profit tax exempt status they don't have to say where the money is going, and to whom.]

[Edit 2: FYI, Jon, there have been many studies done on efficacy of saving moose calves and rearing them and transplanting them, ADFG tried it too, but the vast majority of transplanted calves die within the first year. You can't "rebuild" moose herds with them.]

Mark. Pardon me for assuming that when the 2 Co-Chairs of a fishing and hunting organization publically call out another organization they would be doing it on behalf of the organization that they are the heads of. If that is not the case then perhaps GWB was not speaking for the USA when he called Iran and N. Korea the "axis of evil".

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast