Thread: Help Seward Trip

Default Help Seward Trip

Hi, I'm currently planning a Seward Trip this week. I've been stationed in Alaska for 5 years and now decided to go fishing before I leave this great state. I have no clue where to go in Seward to fish for Halibut. I'm currently renting a boat from MWR and planning to haul it down to seward. Does anyone have any spots in Seward to fish? I'm pretty good with a GPS. Any Help would be greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks

Fish On

Haven't been there myself this time of year but I've heard that silvers start to show up in Pony Cove about this time. Don't forget that you can stay at Seward Resort which is a beautiful place with great do-it-yourself fish cleaning and storage facilities.

I heard Marys Bay is a great place to fish, how long of a boat ride is that from Seward

Mary`s bay is about 20 miles from the harbor. Start around 300` and work your way shallow...there`s always a few out there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Where is the best place to launch a boat from? I'm thinking about heading there on Thursday and camping then launching early next morning

Either the south launch or the north launch ramp is fine. Get a chart or GPS of the bay before you do anything. There are silvers being caught at Pony Cove & Cheval Narrows. Watch for where the other boatrs are gather up and politely work your way into them. If you do not have much boating in salt water experience be very careful on Res Bay. Watch the weather and go out early ane return in the afternoon. There is a mixed tidal / weather pattern that generally devlops during the late afternoon / early evening period that can confuse novice mariners. It gets ugly coming from Lowell Point into the harbor. Be careful & have fun. The ha;ibut may be a little further out than you are prepared for at this point.

cool thanks. Heard people have been hooking halibut in close, just wondering where

Quote Originally Posted by CombatSalmon View Post
    cool thanks. Heard people have been hooking halibut in close, just wondering where
    Halibut are generally inconsistent in the bay. I have never found a really good spot over the years. Earlier this week I picked up a few chickens in front of Bear Glacier in about 200-250 feet of water because the weather in the gulf was blowing and I had family visiting that just had to catch halibut........You can also find a few on occasion around Rugged Island and through Eldorado Narrows at slack tide. I wouldn' expect to limit the boat in any one place, but if you move around you will find quite a few. Now if it is nice and you are willing to venture, all of the major capes east of the bay offer excellent halibut fishing. But as it was pointed out, it can get very sloppy out there pretty quickly, so watch the weather carefully.

awesome thanks, the boat has a GPS, I'm not to worried about bad weather unless it's like the perfect storm. Grew up on a shrimping boat down in TX

Combat Salmon,

I am probably reading you wrong here, but you don't need a perfect storm for the weather outside of the bay to get so bad you will really wish you never rounded either of the Capes. The area has strong currents, steep fjords that are blow holes, irregular bottoms that accentuate the swell and surf, no place to hide, and sometimes nobody around for miles. The boating here is much different than in Texas. I guess as a plus we don't have hurricanes.......

All I am saying is it not some place to take lightly and to "not be too worried about bad weather," because that is exactly what you need to be worrying about. When things start to change for the worse you need to make the run back to port before it gets too sloppy. And if you have don't have a good forecast on the outside, stay in the bay and play it safe.

T.R.

what is the furthest you think I should venture? I was planning to go no further than Rugged Island

Combat Salmon,

It depends on the boat you are going to be in, the forecast, and what the conditions actually are. There are days you can go really far without any trouble. Those are the days that are winds variable 10 kts or less, a small tide swing, and the seas 3-5 feet outside the bay in Zone 120 (Cape Suckling to Gore Point). If they are calling for winds and bigger seas, it can be tough day to fish in a small boat. But I have also gone out to Cape Russurection many times on 7-10 foot forecasts to see it flat calm. I have also seen a 3 foot forecast turn into 30 kt winds and steep 6-10 foot chop which is a real party pooper.....If you are going outside the bay it is an on the spot call out at Barwell Island of over by Pilot Rock. There is no way of knowing without being there.

I am guessing you are going to renting one of the 22 foot rentals from the Recreational Center? If you have a good forecast with small seas and light winds I would say that Johnstone Bay or Cape Junken would be ok. Going the other way you could go down to the Chiswells or Cloudy Cape. Of course this is if you even have the fuel capacity on one of those boats which you probably do since I have seen those boats in both of those places. I don't know if they brought extra fuel though.

Enjoy your trip and play it safe

T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatSalmon View Post
    awesome thanks, the boat has a GPS, I'm not to worried about bad weather unless it's like the perfect storm. Grew up on a shrimping boat down in TX

I have hundreds of hours running my boat out of Cameron, LA out into the gulf and can tell you that there is no comparison to the weather and seas conditions of Alaska.

The only one thing will kill you quicker than the cold water and bad weather, and that is over confidence. The water is 38 degrees or so and that gives you about 30 minutes before you get hypothermia.

It almost cost me my life learning that lesson.

All that said, just be careful.

I have caught some Halibut in the narrows by Sandpit Point 59* 56.377N, 149* 18.234 W,,,, fish it just before and after the tide turn as the water will get to ripping through there once the tides start to change. Good place to try to get out of some wind.

With good weather try around Cheval Island, use your depth finder and fish the terrain. Fishing is just hunting in the water and the same terrain features that make for good hunting also make for good fishing. 59* 45.454, 149* 29. 228 W and closer back towards Pony Cove.

Some Lings near Cheval as well.

Another hazard is the fog,, rolls in extremely fast and gets so thick you can hardy see the stern from the bow.

Pony Cove Silver Disco,, keep your head on a swivel,, lots of boats.

Have fun, but be safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

T.R. Bauer, stid2677 thanks for all the help. I will let you guys know how the trip turns out
    THANKS!

Hey just got back from my trip last night. This was once in a lifetime experience for me. Although I did not catch a halibut, I limited on Silvers. This was a great Alaska experience that I will never forget. I ended up going only to Thumbs Cove and some Glacier on the west bank. I want to thank everyone for their help. I want to thank everyone who shared their knowledge and wisdom with me. Thank you thank you thank you. Any novice like myself who has any questions or need more details about my trip I'd be more than happy to share.

BTW Silvers are all over the bay and will bite on anything.