Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOG creates draw for 14A &13D sheep

Default BOG creates draw for 14A &13D sheep

What are your thoughts on the BOG action making 14A & 13D draw for Sheep starting 2008?

lol sorry man, have fun with that, makes me glad to be in 13E right now. where did you see it posted about the draw stuff? you got a link so i can read it?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default proposal 158

The BOG passed prop. 158 as put forth by ADF&G. There was lots of deliberation on the topic- finally passed after second attempt in original form. End result: all Chugach sheep west of Richardson Highway to be on drawing permit; non-resident participation to be capped at no more then 25% of harvest. A portion of 13D would go from full-curl to any ram.

....25%!!!!!!!! I would call 10% generous...Alaskan resources for Alaskans?
    Actions speak louder than words.

wow some big steps in the sheep corner of the store, any ram, get ready for more guys to be bummed about not drawing..did they say anything about allocation or numbers of tags for the area? wonder where all those guides are gonna go that dont' draw tags....? look out overflow, could get ugly.
    Master guide 212

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
    The BOG passed prop. 158 as put forth by ADF&G. There was lots of deliberation on the topic- finally passed after second attempt in original form. End result: all Chugach sheep west of Richardson Highway to be on drawing permit; non-resident participation to be capped at no more then 25% of harvest. A portion of 13D would go from full-curl to any ram.
    Whats the logic behind the 13D any ram change? Is this a subsistence-type trade off ala the Unit 11 and unit 23 regs? Is the area relatively unaccessible?
    This one has me stumped.

shphtr he said 25 percent of the HARVEST...big diff between that and 10 percent of the tags which is what get tossed around alot. 25 percent of the harvest..any one know what percentage non res are currently taking in 13 D and 14A harvest? probably higher than 25 percent, i'm guessing this would be a cut back from whats been going on now...residents should be thrilled.(if my guess is right)
    Master guide 212

Kurl, i may not know excatly but i heard that if they go to any ram, it'll leave more mature rams for breeding, but by doing the draw they'll be able to limit how many any rams are taken..thus leaving more breeding sheep. just what i heard, wether or not that it why they did it i couldnt' say, just jumpin' in with what i've heard.
    Master guide 212

The only potential benefit that I can see from this action is that it will spread some of the applications out among other hunts, thus potentially increasing the draw rate for other sheep hunts such as Tok, Delta, or 14C. Other than that, I just can't see the need or justification for this action. Another instance of decreasing opportunity and increasing crowding in the remaining general tag areas. Dissapointing.

-Brian

brian this will be a trend, one area will go draw, other hunters without tags will filter into over the counter areas, those areas will go to draw, everyone without a tag will filter over to over the counter areas and so on until it is all drawing....to many people not enough resources and predators still doing there thing, we all seen it coming, just no one wants to belive that the lower 48 is quickly becoming the lower 48 +1 NW state.
    Master guide 212

That's too bad. I guess my letter didn't help. Looks like AK is gonna be like everywhere else. If you dont draw, you dont hunt.

BRWNBR - I would argue with sheep that it's simply not necessary. We've discussed this before, but I'll reiterate that with full-curl restrictions there is not a threat of overharvest. Some people want sheep hunting areas where they won't see another person and where they'll have their choice of multiple legal rams. Fine, but there are already plenty of draw areas that fit the bill. Others want to be able to simply spend time in the sheep mountains every fall with a dream of being able to find a single legal ram, be it 30" or a 40+" bruiser. Guarantees of success are not as important to this group as simply having the chance to pursue sheep. It is ridiculous that we're moving towards managing all of our sheep hunts for the one user group at the expense of the other.

-Brian

I blame the oil companies, if not for them there would only be 200,000 people in alaska
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The proposal seems strange to me. We lose one immature sheep to "legal" harvest, and then we lose one mature ram to old age, winter kill etc.

Maybe the gene pool isn't to F&Gs liking some how?
    This is the bottom line?
    Any bios want to elaborate?

brian i think i added predators in that orginal post...trying to cover all the reasons sheep die..us, winters predators and old age..as the number of legal rams slows and the number of ewes so will the lamb production...just a big mess it will become, more than it is now. I hear ya though, guys want sheep hunting to be like fly fishing some lonely drainage, not red-flossing on the russian....
    Master guide 212

Too many hunters
    +Too few animals
    +Too little money
    =
    Permit System
    It has been evolving for some time now. Back In The Day, it was not needed, it was a great place to hunt. Now, only the "Lucky" few will get the chance. Too Bad, but this is the world we now share.

Default Proposal 158 Sheep draw

There was a lot of public testamony questioning the biological reasoning for this proposal from the Dept., what with full-curl restrictions in place- bottom line was ADF&G area biologists wanted it. It seems to me it is much easier for them to manage the users, rather than the resource.

Wow, can't believe that, draw for sheep in 14A and 13D! like I said in the other thread, it's coming! especially sheep, pretty soon Moose! like I said the sport of hunting is growing, I don't know this as fact, but each year I'm sure there are more non-resident hunters coming to this Great State... well after all, they are bringing in the $$$, (the power of money), the bottom line is...theres more hunters out there, not enough trophies to go around...K

Default Crud

Any links so I can read it first-hand? Any news on other sheep proposals? 14C, etc?

Non-residents take approx. 50% of rams in these areas every year. Overall though, I'm bummed. Big time.

Unhappy drawings

What a bummer. Think of all the sheep areas in the state already closed to hunting or severely restricted..Gates of the Artic, Lake Clark, Wrangell, Chugach, DCU, TMA, Denali, Sheep Mountain, Cooper Landing, Crescent Lake, etc. Many sheep populations are not hunted at all because of restrictions. The last thing we need are more permit areas. Most permits are once in a lifetime odds so basically hunting is eliminated. And hunting is never restored, only restricted further so the increased pressure this brings on other areas will ensure their restriction also. It really does look like ADFG is against sheep hunting altogether. Thank ADFG for their help managing sheep…but if all we wanted to do was eliminate hunting opportunity we dont need their help.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast