Thread: Chamber Vacuum sealer

Default Chamber Vacuum sealer

Was in a hurry yesterday But stopped and ran through the new Three Bears on KGB. I did notice they had what appeared to be a good CHAMBER VACUUM SEALER for a good price. As I recall it was $1121.00. That seamed cheap for a chamber sealer. I think it was Vac Master brand, model was something like 201 or maybe 210.

I wish that someone would stock the home/light commercial vac-master. It looks like a slick unit though a bit smaller and about 1/2 the weight. I like the looks of it online but would like to actually handle one!

I picked up a chamber vacuum sealer locally, Mini-vac. I was not looking foreword to dealing with the foodsaver style overheating and moisture issues again. It was an impulse purchase after a good day of dipnetting. I had serious buyers remorse. That being said it works great and I have had a few friends rent it to help with the steep price tag.
    Got a few of it down

I have two Vac Master sealers. The first one I bought several years ago served well but for some reason we seem to use it more and more so we bought another much larger one to make things go a little faster. If anyone is interested I could be talked into selling the first one.

I stopped by Alaska Butcher Supply and talked to the owner about the Vac Master sold by Three Bears and Costco. Reason the price is so low, the pump is now made in china, so he is getting out of the Vac Master bussiness and will sell his other brands. The Chinese Pump has a 1 year warranty, and he will not work on a chinese product. Call it conviction. So, needless to say, I'm not plunking down a grand for something I can't get serviced or if it goes down, I'm stuck with an expensive table conversation peice.
    Good Luck if you buy one. Hope it doesn't breakdown.

I've had a foodsaver for years and packed a lot of fish with it. But, the last couple years we rented a chamber machine from Alaska Butcher Supply and man oh man is that thing awesome. I can't imagine packing all the fish we get with a foodsaver again. However, with those things costing well over $1000, even closer to $2000 for the one I really want, renting a machine from AK Butcher seems to be the way to go. If I rent it twice a year, I wouldn't recover the cost in 10 years. That is pretty good for a rental. I don't have to worry about it breaking down and I don't have to store it. But an awesome machine without a doubt.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

A friend of mine bought one of the 3 Bears machines this year thinking it was the same as the Cabelas model, not even close. While I would love to have a chamber machine, the Cabelas CG-15 has been great for us. From Caribou to salmon, it has always worked fine. Invest in good bags from AK Butcher Supply and your stuff will stay fresh.

Costco, Wal-Mart, Sportsman's Warehouse, and other places all have chamber machines these days.

Standard price seems to be $999 for the standard type and a smaller model sells for $700.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

How much do they rent one of the nicer units for?

How does a chamber sealer work different? More Volume?

I have a nicer vaccuum sealer from Cabelas, stainless. Not really having any issues with it over heating. I paid $400 ish for it.

thanks !

Well, I went a litte different route with my Foodsaver vaccuum sealer. The vac pump would not suck anymore, so I just did what came obvious to me...I attached a mini "shop vac" to the existing vaccuum hose, and let me tell you, it now "sucks" real well! The sealer part of the Foodsaver still works so I use that to seal the bag and all is well again!.

[QUOTE=mfletcher;986288]I attached a mini "shop vac" to the existing vaccuum hose, and let me tell you, it now "sucks" real well! QUOTE]

I would like to see a pic of how you attached it. I have one from 1992....still wroks great....14 moose and 400 kings and silvers. I do have to hold the bar down and do a manual seal but ate a moose 2008 steak I found in the frezer the other night..........no problem. I do have a newer one a buddy gave me as the suction was bum.....might like to try what you did.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Here is the whole system sitting on top of the freezer. You can clearly see the nozzle that I used to attach the shop vac to the food saver.Attachment 51500Attachment 51501

Her are the other two photos that I took:

Attachment 51502Attachment 51503 I removed the original pump from the sealer and then rerouted the vaccuum hose out the back of the case...had to drill a hole through the plastic, but I got to tell you it works better than the original motor. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
    Her are the other two photos that I took:

Attachment 51502Attachment 51503 I removed the original pump from the sealer and then rerouted the vaccuum hose out the back of the case...had to drill a hole through the plastic, but I got to tell you it works better than the original motor. Hope this helps.

It would help more if the picts came through.

Well, I'll try again tomorrow...lsat time I tried to loging in on photobucket it wasn't working. Will try to post them again tomorrow.

Here's hoping these links work:

Thanks. Is the small nozzle/adapter on the end something that comes with the mini Shop Vac. A similar application with a meat grinder is where my buddy chucked up a Milwaukee Hole Hog right angle drill to an old hand crank grinder.........get's er done in a hurry.
    Wherever you go ....there you are.

Actually, the adapter came from a small pump that is used to air up air mattresses, and it just so happened it fit the end of my mini shop vac perfectly.

I bought my mom and dad one of those $1,000 vacmaster units from the Kenai Walmart last fall.
    So far I have sealed 10 or so rabbits bout 100#' s of salmon and a lot of Halibut including 200#'s at one time without stopping.
    So far it works great.
    Way way better than my old foodsavers ever where.
    I was going to order one from butcher supply but figured I would give this unit a try as it saved me $600-$800 when you figured in the price difference + shipping or driving to los Anchorage for pickup.
    So far I am quite happy with it as is my dad.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"