Thread: Who in Fairbanks Smokes Hams, or what is your experience w/ Smoking Bear Ham

Default Who in Fairbanks Smokes Hams, or what is your experience w/ Smoking Bear Ham

Brett Franklin used to be set up to smoke things. I have had him smoke hams from a couple of 5' +/- bears that I shot years ago. I have some large hams to smoke this year and am wondering what the local Fairbanks options might be. Has anybody run into problems trying to smoke large hams, especially bear hams? Any problem getting them up to a temperature that will kill possible cysts or parasites? Arr

Ak River Rat,
    I like to freeze the hams for about a month before I smoke them. That is supposed to kill trycincosis and such. (Yeah, I know I can't spell good sometimes) I like to cut the alder for the smoker about two weeks out from smoking date to dry the sap a little. For big hams I like to keep the temp and smoke about 150 degrees when first starting to get that crust flavor. Also, as soon as cool after finish smoking, I debone the hams. Freezes good too-Seems to keep better, if you planning on saving for a special occasion. Family, moose hunt, ect. As For how much smoke, put some muscle groups from the front shoulder in, and sample after a while. When you get that "perfect" taste, switch out to coals or dry seasoned wood instead of green smoking wood to finish the process.

If you got a real early spring boar, you may want to peg some bacon into the hams to add some moisture. When they first come out the bears just don't have a lot of fat, or muscle tone.

hope that helps,
    Chris

Or take them to the smoke house there on Davis Road. Santa's?
    Be warned they will trim any meat they "don't" like the look of.
    Also, if they are doing salmon strips at the same time, you will get a new flavor added in.
    But, they usually do a pretty good job.

Chris

Thanks for the reply. Years back I looked at plans for a pretty extensive stone walk in smoker. I decided not to do it for several reasons. Maybe I shortchanged myself
    I've been to the Davis Rd. location in the past, and never ended up with good results. Others have, I just have not. I'd rather look elsewhere, but again, thanks for the ideas.
    ARR

I make and smoke my own hams, its really easy to do. 2 pounds brown sugar mixed with 1 pound of salt. rub it all over your meat at let it sit in the fridge for a week. Or hang it outside in the shade if its cool enough out. I put mine on a rack over a pan (to catch the drippings) in a spare fridge out in my garage. After a week I take it out and rub it down again. the longer you let it sit the deeper the flavor penetrates so your chunk of meat will dictate how long you should let it sit. Then just slow smoke it like you would fish. I've never done bear, but I have used this same recipe on pork, beef and rabbit and it always comes out great. you wont believe its not pork ham.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.