Thread: drift boat size

Default drift boat size

what size drift boat would you guys recommend for the kenai i am thinking about building one for a winter project i would like to be able to fit 3 maybe 4 guys in it. i am looking at plans for a 17ft with a 7'6 beam.

I have a 16 foot clack. 2 in the front is a sweet row. Putting the 3rd in the back even if they are small changes the handling big time. If your gonna do it go 18-20. More room never hurts and does not change the handling that much. Dont get me wrong. I dont want a bigger one. Mine is perfect for my wife and I. It is just when a buddys buddy wants to go too makes it a bit crowded
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I started out with a 16x54, which like Chuck said is a nice row, adding the third however was a cluster. I then up graded to a 19x66, that boat IMO was perfect for 3-4 fisher dudes/dudets and the dog. The 66" width was a must for that many people, plenty of room and super stable with two people on one side. Just my .02
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Sure hope your going to build an aluminum one , I have a willie 16 foot , and love it , I put in a rear seat (plug in type) when I have an extra guy going , just move all the seats forward , to get the but of the boat up out of the water , 4 guys is max for me , 3 guys is perfect , and alot easier on the arms !!

I have a 17' X 60" Willie. I just took out 4 people yesterday for the first time. It handled well but it was tough to anchor in faster running water. I did notice that it was slower floating down the river than when i had 1 to 3 people in it. I would say the longer and wider the better if you plan on putting 4 extra adults in there.

i figure 4 people max so the 17'x90" should be able to handle that. here are the plans im looking at http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_chin.html let me know what you think there is a vid on youtube of a smaller one a guy built.

You could even strech that boat in the middle and go to 19 feet, the longer the boat the less water resistance when rowing, the boat will sit higher in the water, easier to row.

Having built a couple of wooden drift boats it's my belief why the standard drift boat was a 16 footer with a 4' bottom. It was based on a sheet of 4 x 16 marine plywood. If you build a 16' wooden drift boat using scarf joints and 8' plywood you'll have to do two scarfs since you lose 2" on each scarf.

I can also tell you that if you put 4 guys in a 16 foot drift boat it's going to feel heavy. I've got no experience on anything bigger than 16 footers. Keep in mind the problem of 3 guys actually fishing from the same boat (while the 4th is rowing).

Hope this helps a bit.

L