Thread: canned salmon

Default canned salmon

My wife and I will be in Alaska in less than three weeks (July 20th) and were talking about salmon fishing. That is when a question came up. I told her I would ask the "EXPERTS" on the Alaska Forum for their opinions / recipes.
    Our questions is: Has anyone ever canned salmon that has been previously frozen? AND / OR Is it OK to can salmon that has been frozen? By 'can' I mean put into small glass jars, not metal ones. Vacpak & freezing is the best way for us to get the salmon home to keep it from spoiling.

I have all the items needed for glass canning here in Missouri. It would be cost prohibitive for us to can (metal or glass) the salmon up there and have it shipped back.
    Thanks guys and gals for all the help. I look forward to your opinions / suggestions.

Yes people can last years frozen salmon every spring up here. It turns out just fine.
    Another option is to have a fish processor can it for you.
    If you were going to have a processor back pack and freeze it for you many will also can it for you. I believe most use the metal cans so you have 2 size options pints or 1/2 pints. Then you can take it home as checked baggage.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yes, we can and smoke all the salmon in our freezer, come spring. Some smoked and canned the rest just thawed and canned. It turns out great and we love it.

Came home with alot more salmon (kings, silvers and sockeye) for the freezer. Plan to can the 'leftovers' from last year (probably this weekend)- some smoked, some just thawed & canned.

Just as a side question- Does halibut do well when canned? Wife decided to catch a big one, so we now have close to 200# of halibut.

Yes, it does. Mine always turns out as more packed halibut. I have had some that a friend of mine canned. His wife fried it just a little (not cooked) to give it more texture. Hope using right vocabulary. Tasted great, but had lots of room in the jars. I like to cut in to round "chunks" that stack in the wide mouth jar, top with teaspoon of salt and pressure cook 10 lbs pressure for 100 minutes.

Chris

One other thing- try to cut any and all blood and fat out of the meat. It turns real fishy tasting when canned.
    hope that helps,

Chris