Thread: How Do You Measure a Bear?

Default How Do You Measure a Bear?

I am curious as to how people come up with the squared measurement on their bears. Is there a consensus as to how it is done? Specific questions I have are:
    Bones in or out? (head, feet)
    Fleshed or not?
    Where do you measure across?
    End of last pad to end of last pad?
    Tip of claw to tip of claw?
    Anything else?
    Thks,
    ARR

Lay the hide out flat and measure nose to tail and then across the front claws one side to the other. Add the two measurements and then divide by 2 and you'll have your squared bear

But specifically, pad to pad, or claw tip to claw tip.
    And what about the rest of the questions? Is there a norm or expectation that the measurements be done bone out, fleshed, tip to tip, or something else?
    I know the general "rules", but depending on what you guys come to as a consensus will be the way I measure my boar that I got this spring. He'll be over 7' any way I do it. He is fleshed, bones are out.
    Yeah, I know, Pictures are required. I've been kicking Labman to get them transferred so I can post something.
    ARR

The way a bear guide showed me was to measure after skinning with skull still in the hide. Lay out hide on flat ground. Pull on one of the front paws until the opposite front paw starts to move. Measure from end of claws to end of claws between the front paws. Then grab the head and pull ahead until tail starts to move, then measure from end of nose to tail. Add the 2 measurements and divide by 2.
    This is the way to square the hide. No stretching involved. Congrats on your black bear. A 7 foot blackie is a dandy!

The whole thing is mental masturbation. It just does not matter, it is just a socially acceptable form of penis envy. (Wow, I wish mine was that big. or I look how big mine is........ see, I am one hell of a man). Everyone rounds up to the next (Half) number anyway. No one rounds down, no one calls his 6'-7 1/2" bear a a 6'-6" bear, it becomes a 7' bear. I think it is all related in part of the rite'of passage into manhood. I guarantee that anyone who has shot a lot of bears cares at all about the size of his own or the size of anyone else's bear. In-fact as you may guess at some point the whole issue becomes repulsive.

Number of pounds of sausage.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Number of pounds of sausage.
    Yes, either that, or how much fun you had on the hunt. Just hard to put a measuring tape on the joy of being in the wilderness.

Made a quick guide up for everyone that is curious from my blackie this year

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Cool photo w/ the lines. I like it. And I like how thick that bears hide is. Measuring for me is just grins and giggles. When I saw him 60 plus yards back in the trees, or rather saw part of him, there was an awful lot of black. My eyes bugged out. Really I don't care if he measured 6'2" or 8'2". I'll remember how he looked the first time I saw all of him walking out front of me. He was big as a VW Bug. Or so it seemed.
    More important to me is getting those cuts right when I skin. Seems I miss the mark a bit and there are odd dips and valleys on one side, and extra hide on the other.
    As for mental masturbation, I think I'll pass. I don't care a whit about what another guy shoots, nor have I cared to measure myself against the other guys in the locker room. Being envious of how another guy was hung just never did anything for me. Locker rooms and hunting just aren't a place I care to compete. But thanks for the thought AGL. As for trying to make him more than he was, nah, I'll just say he was 7' plus and leave it at that.
    ARR

Taxidermist's method......on the fleshed bear, laid naturally on the ground, hair side down - no pulling or stretching as this will distort your measurement and make your bear bigger than he really is....measure claw to claw and tip of nose to tip of tail WITHOUT repositioning the bear...take the average of those two measurements and that is your 'squared' bear..

and by 'naturally', that means similarly to what a previous poster said...pull till the other side just starts to move...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Cool photo w/ the lines. I like it. And I like how thick that bears hide is. Measuring for me is just grins and giggles. When I saw him 60 plus yards back in the trees, or rather saw part of him, there was an awful lot of black. My eyes bugged out. Really I don't care if he measured 6'2" or 8'2". I'll remember how he looked the first time I saw all of him walking out front of me. He was big as a VW Bug. Or so it seemed.
    More important to me is getting those cuts right when I skin. Seems I miss the mark a bit and there are odd dips and valleys on one side, and extra hide on the other.
    As for mental masturbation, I think I'll pass. I don't care a whit about what another guy shoots, nor have I cared to measure myself against the other guys in the locker room. Being envious of how another guy was hung just never did anything for me. Locker rooms and hunting just aren't a place I care to compete. But thanks for the thought AGL. As for trying to make him more than he was, nah, I'll just say he was 7' plus and leave it at that.
    ARR
    Thanks that was a photo of my 1st bear taken this year. no stretching was done just layed it out flat on the ground. Was happy with the measurements but more happy to take such a nice bear for my 1st. 17 1/8th skull on that sow she was a keeper for sure

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

WoW! That is a really nice bear, and especially a sow. Very cool. I think I still get more excited listening to other folks stories, and seeing their photos than I do for myself. And just seeing the bears, well, that is awesome. I think my very first night in a tree stand some 25 plus years ago was one of my best memories. I had bears coming and going like a truck stop diner. Bears chasing bears, running up trees, vocalizing, the whole works. Then I got ready to go, dropped my coat to the ground, and a bear walked up and started licking the sweat around the neck/collar area. Never fired a shot, yet had more fun than a kid at the fair.
    Measuring for me is just knowing more about the animal. Kind of like opening up the belly to see what they (fish and birds too) have eaten, and looking at organs, and inspecting parts and pieces. I get what AGL said. Lots of folks need to compare. I'd rather compare how the steaks from your moose compare to mine, or compare bear chops to sheep. Which is tastier? Something we did find is that this bear must have found a rotten log to get into as he had ants clinging to his esophagus. That was pretty neat. They were biting him on the way down in a last ditch effort to survive.
    ARR

yah actually went out to my site last night for the 1st time with the wife (we are on the pred. cont) just so she could see the area and whats its like. She was amazed by what they did to our site in the past 10 days. Barrels were snapped off the trees like dental floss was holding them on there (we ran 1/4 inch cables) she has the hunting itch now and wants to go for a moose this fall. It is all about the experience than the actual kill in my eyes. I prob have walked close to 250 miles this year on stalks / walk in's to the site and what not.. and every inch was worth it!