Thread: Guideless Rods - Ever Tried Them?

Question Guideless Rods - Ever Tried Them?

I am considering replacing a couple of my downrigger rods that are thrashed from constant use. So far I have heard good things about the guideless rods (like the Cabelas' "Interphase"). Has anyone on here had one long enough to tell how well they hold up and if they feel the same as a regular rod with guides while playing a fish?

I can't fish them close to the mainland in SE.... the krill and green slimey weed that sticks to your line jams the TTM (Innercast) rods good.

The few clear-water days we got them out to play with (out on the coast) they felt fine with an appropriately sized fish - salmon or big dollies, but when a 25# halibut hit one of the rigs you could feel extra "drag/friction/chafing/etc." as the fish pulled off drag... The more bend there was in the rod, the more "stuck" the mono felt passing through them.

I imagine they'd be pretty good in fresh water that was fairly debris free, but salt, seaweed, krill, etc. buildup killed this idea for me.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting, nice point. Never gave that aspect of it much thought until now.

Tried them once in Lake Ontario back in 1993... too much surface contact on the line while fighting a fish. I can just imagine the extra heat buildup and extra wear-tear on your line over time.

Threading the blank requires a separate flexible guide wire... one more thing to lug around or possibly get lost.

Seems like if the idea was gonna take off, it would have done so over the past 14 years.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default I have one and have used for three seasons

In whittier mine has done good. Mainly rock fish but use a jig or just a hook with herring. Mine is from sportsmans and was like 50 bucks. they have a set there that has three different tip up to 50# i think. But I would suggest spending the money at B&J Commercial and getting the rod they sell. Used that one on a charter out of Seward, did good and i think it is a lot better than the one I bought. But they are $170 i think. but that is what I will buy if I decide to get another. The one at B&J is like a rifled barrel, less drag on the line that way. I also have one from B&J that i use for halibut, one of my best rods, rated for 80#. halls in the big one just fine and a lot of people like because it is more sensitive. Awesome for rock fish too. I think that one is Diawa, $90 at the sportsman show. Never had any issue with anything gunking up, used 100% in the salt water. Good rods all in all. But if you can spend the Money.

to me it seems that the pole would be weaker. It looks like you would loose some of that back bone in the rod.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Its all I ever use for trolling. Used em' now for 5 seasons. I haven't had any problems. They are more firm than most but stand up to a lot of fishing I hve found. You'll have to try them.

Charterboat Operator

Default Diawa Interline

Have 7 Diawa's on my boat as butt rods. great soft tip w/ plenty of backbone to handle big fish. no more tangles either!!!!
    have not tried the trolling rod, but intend to spacifically for the downriggers

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Sounds like mixed results. Guess I'll just buy a couple and see how I like them!

Default Through-the-rod Guide

I bought 4 of the Cabela rods 6 8 years ago for the sole purpose of trolling with them. Two medium action for the downriggers and two med/hvy for the deep sixes. They were great when we were trying frantically to rebait and reset a rod while trolling. I don't troll near as much as I've found mooching just as productive and much less problematic. I get to fish nearly as much as every body else on the boat. These rods work fine here as well, especially with some of the rookies I occasionally take out. I think the wet line will keep heat buildup from damaging the line. Then again I change out my mono every couple of years as mono is easily damaged. I tried Spectra, but didn't like the additional drag and 'sound' caused by the spectra. I did have some problems with 'ocean gunk' such as jelly fish fouling the lining of the rod, but a little WD-40 works wonders. Most of this clogging occurs right at the tip.

I think you would be way better off with a good quality blank with good quality guides. Nearly all commercially built rods have very cheap aluminum oxide guides with weak frames and inserts that will pop out with abuse. If you want a good rod, build your own. You can put on titanium framed Silicon Carbide guides that will likely last forever and will not heat-damage your line. Even better yet, you can acid wrap it (transition guides to the bottom) for an inherently stable rod that won't try to flip over on you while fighting fish.

Default cabelas innerline trolling rod

i have used the heaviest version of the cabelas innerline trolling rods for 7 or 8 years now. i have 6 of them now. the first two that i bought are the ones used the most so i could see how long they would last. last year i had to glue the part where the line enters the rod on one of them. for those of you who do not know me i troll all summer so these rods have many miles on them. to be sure i had 4 "new" rods for derby fishing i have bought two more. i would recommend them to anyone who down rigger trolls. i have reeled in 100 lb halibut on them. i top them with penn 320 gti
    3 years ago i bought some of the casting style innerlines from cabelas for the rare occasion that i mooch for salmon. yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they work well. reeled in a 60 lb halibut on one. cant attest to there durability because i dont use them to often
    as for the crap ie seaweed jelly fish etc...yes you must keep and eye on the tips to keep them clean.