Thread: Grayling feeding question

Default Grayling feeding question

Tangle Lakes and tributaries......grayling hitting something just under surface....you see their dorsal kind of do a quick circle. Can not figure out what fly to throw them, anybody know what they are eating when they are doing that?

Are you sure it is a Graling an not White fish, was on Paxton lake afew years ago, an they were every where not just near the inlet/outlet, I mean every where, so I through they were White fish not grayling could be wrong,

Nope, everything we throw at grayling they "suck" up! You know what I mean. Do you think they were spawning? Was it happening in shallow water?

I saw this too as I was up there last weekend. They were in small schools and would move in a circle just feeding and rising but not taking anything off the surface. Whatever they were eating it was sub-surface but near the top. You could see their fins. They were real hard to catch, the water was glass and so calm that anything that disturbed the surface within 15 feet of them would send them scattering. We did well stripping prince nymphs and copper johns.

midges maybe, try emergers style patterns or so the fly is just barely on the surface or right under

Mosquito emergers fished about 1-2 inches below the surface. I have fished there often and this is the "go to" pattern I have used for the past 30 years in Tangle when they are not eating dries off the surface.

Yep, tiny diptera - midges! And this occurs wherever grayling are found.

Jim

Thanks everyone, great info!

#16 wet coachman or wet gnat should do the trick nicely - or if you tie and drift flies like I do (poorly), an Adams after a couple of casts will achieve the same effect. Is that some sort of flyfishing taboo? I hope I'm not breaking too many unwritten rules by letting my dries get wet.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    #16 wet coachman or wet gnat should do the trick nicely - or if you tie and drift flies like I do (poorly), an Adams after a couple of casts will achieve the same effect. Is that some sort of flyfishing taboo? I hope I'm not breaking too many unwritten rules by letting my dries get wet.
    Yeah, but do you still catch fish? Catching trumps any taboo. If you don't use a floatant on your dries, its hard not to turn them into wet flies.

Size 18 Griffith's Gnat is what I've always tied and used when the grayling are taking something I can't really see but I know it's just under the surface.

Jim

Right-E-O Jim. We are blessed to have something fun like crusing Grayling and Whitefish on lake and sometimes such is on Badger . Chena Slough tuff fishing :-) We are also blessed that four basic flies hatch in our waters that in the metamorphic stage all look just about the same give or take color but close on size. Skeeters, Midges, Chromin, Dip. All clasifications in the fly fishing world depending on ones thoughts as midge fishing well with the exception of those B52 Skeeters. Griffith Gant size 20-18-16 works well when Greasing the Line. Put a size 18 G-Nat on take your fly dope and put it on your fly line up until about 1-2 inches from your fly (don't put the floatant on the fly! Just the leader about 12-18 inches of it. Cast, sit back and enjoy. On certain rivers and OBTW few and far between we do have may-flies with spinner falls you will see Trout / Garyling act in a smilar way just cruising along sipping. Small Ring then the dorsal and maybe a tail. Classic dry fly fishing at 10:00AM in the morning back in the lower 48 mid summer stuff. G-Nat does two things well on rivers and lakes matches the the Midge hatch and represents a cluster of midges size 20-32 in slower water. What fun fishing.

Tight Lines K-Mac and Jim great information thanks for sharing.

BMR

My pleasure, Mr. Moose!

Being a guy who grew up fishing on the hallowed waters of upstate NY I saw all kinds of hatches. But like Blue Moose says, we don't typically experience such hatches here in Alaska. The best mayfly hatch I ever experienced in Alaska was on a long ago float along the Talachulitna River. The sky was thick with mayflies and the trout (up to 24 inches) and grayling were in a feeding frenzy, mostly on the emergers, but some were taking adults that waited a micro-second too long to dry wings and launch into flight. I stood mid-river, slack jawed and upset 'cause my reel was loaded with a sink tip line and my leader had an egg-sucking-leech attached. By the time I switched out most of the party was over, but I did still have some great fishing.

On the matter of using a Griffith Gnat...my late great fly fishing, fly tying mentor, and Father-in-law, once used these tiny flies to take lake trout at Landmark Gap.

Jim

Kmac Hope I am not pimping your thread side question for Jim. Up-state like above Mohawk or Catskill fishing :-) I spent a few summers chasing fish between Upper Jay and Plattsburgh complimants of Uncle Sam Good times. I truely enjoyed the Saranac river and Paul Smith pond fishing.

Best wishes! Tight Lines!

6 Days of Sun coming people hopefully the water will drop and Clear.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    6 Days of Sun coming people hopefully the water will drop and Clear.
    I suppose there will be somewhat of a rush on the Upper this weekend. Anyone want to do a float trip? Need two trucks and I've got one.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.