Thread: DS160 Sheep

Default DS160 Sheep

I've been scouting around the area and have found some scattered sheep but nothing special. Anybody hunt this area since it became a permit that is willing to share some learnings?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sharp.

This is the area from Tazlina Lake to just West of Matanuska Glacier (coal creek). It's been drawing for ~5 yrs. I figured some folks would have some insights/info since it is a drawing area. There are 2 cub strips up near Powell Glacier, but curious if folks have any experience off South fork of the Matanuska, around Nelchina Glacier or West of Tazlina Lake itself. Just trying to decide where to scount when the weather improves.
    Thanks

Email me at kaboku68@gmail.com. I can't pm you.Sincerely,Thomas

Meekins (air taxi operator) is very (VERY) familiar with that area. If I were going to hunt that area Jim Meekins is who I would have fly me around to scout the area. He has been in the business a long time, is an excellent pilot with lots of history and has been flying out sheep hunters for prob longer than ..... well, for a long time - decades. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

mike meekins
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Gerald Lee probably knows something about that area as well.

Opps, my bad - MIKE Meekins it is. Not sure about Gerald Lee, but if his father is Al Lee, then prob someone worth talking to. Al Lee flew hunters into that area of the Chugach for many years.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

How'd your hunt go, Sharp4104? I drew that tag this year, so interested in your story. Anything you would've taken that you didn't have, or visa versa?

Mike Meekin would also be my vote. He flies that area all of the time, is an excellent pilot and is a really conscientious and friendly guy. His name is Meekin but it is called Meekin's air service. Lives right near Sheep mountain which makes flight time shorte and gives him a better handle on weather.

Meekin's has a high price to it, and the people I've talked to that got the tag years past haven't gone because of the high price. Has anyone on here actually completed the DS160 hunt? If so, did you hike it all the way or fly?

Quote Originally Posted by frozenmisipi View Post
    Meekin's has a high price to it, and the people I've talked to that got the tag years past haven't gone because of the high price. Has anyone on here actually completed the DS160 hunt? If so, did you hike it all the way or fly?
    I used to hunt this area before it went to a draw. Numbers of sheep were in decline then too mostly due to the unlimited guiding in the area, but other factors as well. Myself and my hunting partner did good every year we went in with 100 percent success (two different years in 2005 and 2006). I would never even consider hunting this area without flying in! Way too far to hike to get into decent sheep country.

Did you research this area before applying for the permit? I put in every year since it went to a draw and would go to the exact same area if I was lucky enough to draw the permit, in fact I would hunt the same drainage I hunted when it was on harvest ticket regulation.

Mike is fair guy running a great flying business. His rates to fly any of DS160 are actually on the cheaper side for his skill and knowledge of the area compared to other rates for flying by other outfits. He is the only pilot I would even consider using for this area IMO. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks for that, and I certainly wasn't bashing Meekin's, he seems to be the guy to go with, it was just a little more than expected is all. He's got a good reputation and I don't doubt he has a good honest business and worth every penny he charges. I'm familiar with the area for caribou hunting, but not sheep.

Ive never heard of anyone walking into that area for sheep... All i know is i see a lot of guys coming out of there with some real small rams, it is an any ram area now, but the guides are taking some real big ones out of there. Depending on what your goals are, my suggestion would be don't shoot the first legal one you see and hold out for one of the big ones. The numbers aren't as high but the big ones are still there if your patient. Bill weirderker out of wasilla also knows that area very well well i would call him too if you wanted to price shop. can't go wrong with either of those guys IMO

From what I know , Mike Meekins will not fly you in to scout for rams, since the recent decline in sheep in these areas he just doesn't do that anymore, if he did in the past, it was when the numbers were great, but he has a great concern for sheep in these areas, he has great knowledge of 13D and 14A .

Another guy to call is Gary Bishop out of Palmer.

If you're available this coming Thursday evening, Tom Lohuis of F&G is giving a presentation on his sheep research in 13D and 14C. Chugiak High School at 6:30pm in the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you're available this coming Thursday evening, Tom Lohuis of F&G is giving a presentation on his sheep research in 13D and 14C. Chugiak High School at 6:30pm in the library.
    Thanks for the info Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Ive never heard of anyone walking into that area for sheep... All i know is i see a lot of guys coming out of there with some real small rams, it is an any ram area now, but the guides are taking some real big ones out of there. Depending on what your goals are, my suggestion would be don't shoot the first legal one you see and hold out for one of the big ones. The numbers aren't as high but the big ones are still there if your patient. Bill weirderker out of wasilla also knows that area very well well i would call him too if you wanted to price shop. can't go wrong with either of those guys IMO
    Thank you for the advice!

And thank you, Brian, sounds perfect!

Gotta work late on Tuesday, hopefully they publish the notes from Mr. Lohuis' presentation!

Quote Originally Posted by Track1202 View Post
    Gotta work late on Tuesday, hopefully they publish the notes from Mr. Lohuis' presentation!
    The presentation is on Thursday. Tuesday is the Pizza Man gathering.

Whoops, shouldn't have an issue then. Good stuff!