Thread: Sorry guys the machine is a suzuaki 250 quad that wont shift

Default Sorry guys the machine is a suzuaki 250 quad that wont shift

Please ignore the other thread, this machine is a suzuki that wont shift at all. People tell me something about a neutral override or something like that. Not sure but like the other thread states. The machine sat for 3 years, i am now rebuilding the carb and i am not able to shift this into or out of any gear. Does the machine need to be running but if it isnt in neutral how are you supposed to start this machine. Like i said i am sort of stumped with this matter. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. Thanks

They have a clutch adj. Its pass rear fender well,a little inspection cap has a jamnut with a flathead screwdirver head, loosenNut, run adjuster in till fingertight then back off 1/8 turn. If this dont work,then fricton disk and clutch plates are stuck togetherYou will have to pull the clutch basket out and change them out, not hard but not cheap,either

Make sure the machine is not in reverse cause it won't shift if the reverse lever is not all the way disingaged. I wouldn't mess with the clutch adjustment until you get the shifter to work. I aquired a 280 King Quad that had sat for quite a while and the reverse shifter was real stiff and would not get the machine completely out of reverse. Rocking the machine back and forth while raming the reverse lever back and forth finally got it in neutral. Now that I have used the machine for a few months, the shifting is working fine. A stuck clutch shouldn't cause it not to shift if it's not running

If the plates are stuck together, it will not allow gears to align and that and that could be whats hanging them upIf it has ever had automotive oil in it this is common problem.If the shifter is bent or outta wack and gets close but wont quite shift then look at the clutch adj.make sure when you get this fixed that you use atv oil it has the proper fricton modifiyers for the clutch disk

Unless there is something broken or rusted stuck in your shifter it will shift whether the clutch is stuck or not. Rocking the machine back and forth will turn the secondary transmission shaft allowing the gears to align for shifting unless something is broken or the reverse lockout is still engaged. My guess is the reverse shifter and reverse lockout is still engaged. I don't know if they will start with the rope starter while in gear but if the clutch is stuck you could pull the machine with another fourwheeler and start it that way. You might try pulling the rope starter to see if it will turn over. If it will it should start.
    If you and your friend get tired of messing with it and want to sell it cheap, let me know as I'm looking for another Suzuki quad.

Unless there is something broken or rusted stuck in your shifter it will shift whether the clutch is stuck or not.
    the clutch rings are in a spring loaded drum, if the splines are not lined up due to the friction and clutch rings being stuck together the drum will not be pushed in far enough to let the gears align. yes you could rock it and get the tranny to line up, but you wont be able to get the shifter mechanism to engage because of what i said above. does this make sense? im just trying to clarify what i said. sometimes the connecton between keyboard and brain isnt for me.

also make sure your 2wd/4wd hi/low shifters are all in the right spots

Ok. I rope started mine yesterday with it in gear so it can be started that way unless the clutches are stuck. To check for a stuck clutch with out starting the motor put compression release on and pull rope starter. If the wheeler moves your clutch is stuck. You also could put it in 2wd and jack up the rear tires and use a jumper wire on the the starter solinoid to check for a stuck clutch and start it. It would also let you know whether it was stuck in forward or reverse and help you know where the problem is.