Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any comments about the new Ruger M77 GS Scout

Default Any comments about the new Ruger M77 GS Scout

I am just wondering if anyone has used the new Ruger M77 GS Scout? Does anyone know if anyone is selling it in Alaska?

And Lastly, ALL of you and your families have a wonderful and safe July 4th weekend.
    Bob

we had one that lasted a day. Im hard to impress, but I kind of liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    we had one that lasted a day. Im hard to impress, but I kind of liked it.
    Hi Ken, do you mind letting me know how much it went for? I have read good things but am wondering if I should wait until the newness wears off and we get more feedback on them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I have read good things but am wondering if I should wait until the newness wears off and we get more feedback on them.
    Just my $.02, but the issue with this "new" rifle from Ruger is more a matter of "is it what YOU want." The feedback must be along the lines of the 77 is a good basic rifle platform and the scout system accomplishes its intended purposes.

I cannot believe other than it is a very serviceable rifle for a modest amount of money. More feedback will not change these facts; though when the newness of this model fades away you might find less enamored reviewers, but you're still going to find the same rifle...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I handled a new one in a local gunshop just yesterday, liked it alot - I don't care much for the look of that magazine but I would say that it will accomplish what was intended and the reports thus far show outstanding accuracy - This one had a sticker of $775 on it

I find it "impracticool". Like the looks of it a lot but can't figure out what I would do with it.

Its kinda cool... but wish they made one without the flash suppresor and with a "hunting" magazine.

I don't know what we sold it for but I did like the looks and feel of it. Ought to be a pretty accurate little rig judging by the short bbl which they changed the contour of making it pretty stiff and heavy. The only thing I don't think I could live with is that silly giant magazine hanging out the bottom, no problem though it looks like standard bottom metal could be swapped in. I did like the sights, scout base, and overall feel and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I don't know what we sold it for but I did like the looks and feel of it. Ought to be a pretty accurate little rig judging by the short bbl which they changed the contour of making it pretty stiff and heavy. The only thing I don't think I could live with is that silly giant magazine hanging out the bottom, no problem though it looks like standard bottom metal could be swapped in. I did like the sights, scout base, and overall feel and balance.
    Actually the biggest complaint I have heard is about the mags, over priced (60.00) and no other variations available. I saw the write up in the NRA mag and it got me wondering about it. Still would like to see how the reviews are in the field.

We've had three in, and none lasted two days. I have to agree the magazine looks and feels ackward. I do like the balance, looks like Ruger listened to Cooper for most of the handling aspects. I wonder when Ruger is going to have higher cap mags available.

Chris

I was in a reputable gunsmith's shop in Fairbanks and he had a new one in his shop for repair/modification. Apparently the gun had a failure to feed issue because of the magazine. Apparently, the magazine is only held in by a detent in the rear of the magazine. There is no detent on the front of the magazine, so if one grabs the magazine with the off hand like you might a magwell of a short barelled AR-15 or the rifle rests unevenly on the magazine in the prone position, the front of the magazine will tilt downward and when bullets are attempted to be chambered they will hit the bottom of the feed ramp and not chamber. The gunsmith demonstrated the looseness of the magazine and showed me a failure to feed. I don't know if they all have that same problem, but it appeared to be something that would be a consistent problem because of the design. That right there turned me off to them.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Is that the one with the 16" barrel? If it is I wish it had a 18" barrel, no rail and a good receiver sight. Any gun that has detachable mags has to have easy to come by reliable mags that don't cost a fortune.

It reminds me of a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine other than that big mag hanging down. I had assumed when I first saw it that it would use M-14/M1A magazines. Are you saying that is not the case? Because if it's a case of having to buy proprietary Ruger mags to feed it, then I'm not too keen on that. M-14/M1A mags are readily available from different sources, and make the most sense to run that thing. If Ruger had any smarts, they would set it up to run M-14/M1A mags, and then Ruger could make and sell 5 round mags suitable for hunting. That would make sense.

I finally got to mess with one yesterday. As an owner of one of the original Steyr Scout rifles with a lot of time in the field with one in years past-I was not terribly impressed by the Ruger offering. I had high hopes and had considered purchasing one but the overall feel is pretty crude compared to the Steyr. It is also surprisingly heavy for its size- I expected it to weigh less than it does.

IMHO If I really wanted another Scout...I'd just save some more money, sell some unused guns and go buy the Steyr.

That mag hanging down really just seemed too big for a 10 rounder and try as I may I always wanted to wrap my hand around the rifle right at that point.- it almost feels like a single column mag...a'la AW sniper rifles. I can see where leverage on that mag could cause issues with feeding.

I remember reading that Ruger started with M-14 mags, but they had problems with dimensional variability with different manufacturers so they switched mags, but I can't remember to who.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I think the NRA mag write up said that too.

On the Ruger Forum they are saying that these companies make mags for this gun. Alpha, Accurate and C-Products.
    Midway has the Accurate mags selling for: 5 rnd $64.99, 10rnd $84.99 and the C-Products selling for 5rnd $54.99 and 10rnd $57.99. The Accurate have pretty good rating with the C-Prod looking like a waste of money.

I thinking I will look into the Steyr or wait and see what improvements are made on this rifle.

The price for those mags are a rip-off.

To bad they don't make one in 358Win
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

most everyone cheers "capitalism" until they have to dig into their own pockets for something they want - the "scout" rifle ruger has just come out with is everything J. Cooper saw as necessary with some added features - I hear alot of grousing about no American made products, well this gun, my friends, is American made by an AMERICAN company - the accuracy reports are very good, the weight is lighter than I expected and very well balanced and for under $800 "on the rack" it is pretty good IMO - the magazines are spendy ??? boo hoo anyone buy a tikka t-3 3 shot mag lately ??? or a browning ??? As soon as I can afford one I'll have one and as many magazines as I can get my hands on - .308 is the quintessential scout caliber, if ya fancy something that makes a bigger hole ... have it made !

Yea they should have put a little more thought into the mags. First of all at this price point they should work flawlessly. Second very few shooters will spend a lot on mags for this gun.

Point in case, I am partial to the Circle 10 Bulgarian mags for my AK because they work the best and can't be dented. But i can still buy two of them new, for the price of one of these cheap ones. But the circle 10's can be counted to work flawlessly every time I shoot them.

Why can't these companies get a clue and understand the only way to keep encouraging people to keep our second amendment going is through us buying their products, and knowing that we will be passing their products onto our children and hopefully onto their children. This keeps the sport alive. I know I started this forum but I am a little disappointed in this rifle the more I dig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast