Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for lighteight Bivy or 1 man for sheep spike camp

Default Options for lighteight Bivy or 1 man for sheep spike camp

Last years sheep hunt went pretty good, had our high camp we kept hunting out of, and returning to in the evening. That camp consisted of a lightweight 3-man

Some nights we found ourselves 4 miles or more from camp at times. Trying to get smarter about this and figure we can basically save ourselves 8 miles or so by just setting up shop away from camp.

So, initially looked at just the bag type bivy's. (they run about a pound) Decent option, but really wonder how they would do in a downpour, then started thing about a small sil tarp and the bag bivys. Think this is getting you pretty close, and more protected, but adding weight

Then there are the bivys that are somewhat freestanding, marmot make one, so does North Face. The run about 2 pounds.

Then comes the ultralight 1 mans, best I've found (within some kind of budget) is the Big Anges 1 mans. Right at 2 pounds as well.

Just trying to pick peoples brain, about what has worked for you in the past or specific products out there I'm not mentioning. Ideally would love to find something that affords good weather protection for a couple nights out, and keeping weight between 1-2 pounds,,,,,,,less is always better

While not the lightest option compared to a UL Silnylon tarp I will be using a GoLite SL3 tipi as the overnight bivy for my wife and I. Its listed at 2 pound 7 oz. However if you use a tripod that is all enough or carry black diamond trekking poles that can be joined together to make the center pole than its right at 1 pound 10 oz w/10 stakes (you'll need or order more stakes, I like MSR ground hogs, if you want to stake down all the guyouts as it only comes with 5 or 6 I believe) as you can leave the supplied 12 oz center pole at home.

It'll get ya 60 sq ft of shelter that you can easily fit two and up to 3 guys inside over in a pinch in a bivy situation where you are waiting out animals on a mountain and don't want to hike back to camp or whatever. Being as both guys can use the bivy its really less than a pound per person to have a fully enclosed shelter out of the weather.

Also its 40% at Golite.com right now if you enter the coupon code: DEN40S11

Makes it $165 which is pretty reasonable compared to some other options out there.

https://www.golite.com/Product/ProdD...10&mc=&t=&lat=

Default Tarp + Bivy

The last couple of sheep hunts, my hunting partner and I have packed a UL sil tarp/shelter and lightweight bivy sacks to allow us to do essentially what you are proposing; In our packs the last two years has been:

Integral Designs SilShelter at ~16.5 ounces for the pair of us
    TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy at ~6 ounces per person

We haven't used the bivy sacks much, but we do carry them often in part due to the fact that we both use (and enjoy) down sleeping bags; Since we seem to attract horrid weather, the SilShelter always becomes a near-camp shelter to keep the capes and meat out of the rain when above the treeline. I see a lot of hunters don't have a similar tarp/shelter on his/her gear list; to be honest I don't know how they do it. Perhaps it is possible to go on a sheep hunt without rain or snow...I just haven't experienced that yet.

Attached is a picture of the setup described above from a hunt last year. Not spacious, but adequate for the purpose.

Many of the "cottage" lightweight backpacking manufacturers offer different types of shelters/tarps. I'd recommend something with more coverage than a flat or catenary tarp, as precip in the alpine often doesn't fall straight down. Many of those companies make their products in the USA...always a plus. I recently ordered a Mountain Laurel Designs SpeedMid and am anxiously awaiting its arrival; a few more ounces but plenty of room to sit inside to flesh a cape, cook, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I too use a TI Goat bivy for my spike gear and use a Kifaru paratarp and annex. 6 oz for the Bivy and 16oz for the paratarp with annex. These items are alway in my pack when I leave camp. Only took one miserable night on the mountain for me to always have them with me. I use trekking poles anyway and they are the supports for the tarp.

http://www.kifaru.net/tarps_hootches.html

Getting close now!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Been looking at all the options,,,,,still leading the pack is the options you guys mention above.

Got to say though, I was looking at the Big Anges UL tents. They list their one at 2lb 2oz!! Granted its a smallish 2 man but getting something that affords good weather protection and comes in at just over 1 pound per person is pretty interesting

Either way we will have something, just trying to figure out what. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs Doumid or solo mid. I have a dou-mid and it hase served me well. You either need some trekking poles or willow poles to set the shelter up, but other than that it is small, light and provides good shelter in most conditions.

I don't have any 1st hand experience with any of the tents mentioned above, but I did buy and use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1 last year for my sheep hunt. Full packed wt. including the footprint is just over 2 lbs. This thing packs down very small, and worked great. We had a fair amount of rain for our 10 day hunt and not a drop got into this tent. Pre trip I seam sealed it and sprayed a sealer over the entire rainfly and footprint (I think it helped). Not much room but more than a bivy and no condensation issues.
    P8260177.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I too use a TI Goat bivy for my spike gear and use a Kifaru paratarp and annex. 6 oz for the Bivy and 16oz for the paratarp with annex. These items are alway in my pack when I leave camp. Only took one miserable night on the mountain for me to always have them with me. I use trekking poles anyway and they are the supports for the tarp.

http://www.kifaru.net/tarps_hootches.html

Getting close now!!!

Steve
    Hey Steve, is that Kuiu gear you're wearing there? If so, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Hey Steve, is that Kuiu gear you're wearing there? If so, how do you like it?
    Never mind Steve, I just got my answers from another thread.

I am putting together my sheep 2011 kit right now. I just picked up some silnet seam sealer for my sl3 and 5. Tigoat bivi's are in the mail now. Pyranet custom sl5 inner tent is under construction at bearpaw. Bear fences are on order from eagle enterprises and sat phone sim card should arrive Wednesday. Also ordered 3 pairs of mountain hardwear ridgetop pants from dept of goods ($29 ea). Got some new merino wool boxers from barneys and I am modding up a jetboil solo cup to use with my soto stove.

Just need to hit walmart for some mineral spirits and find a sunny day to seal things up! That and a few shakedown overnight trips should have every thing sorted out.

Edited to fix autocomplete injected spelling errors...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Wx View Post
    The last couple of sheep hunts, my hunting partner and I have packed a UL sil tarp/shelter and lightweight bivy sacks to allow us to do essentially what you are proposing; In our packs the last two years has been:

Integral Designs SilShelter at ~16.5 ounces for the pair of us
    TiGoat Ptarmigan Bivy at ~6 ounces per person

We haven't used the bivy sacks much, but we do carry them often in part due to the fact that we both use (and enjoy) down sleeping bags; Since we seem to attract horrid weather, the SilShelter always becomes a near-camp shelter to keep the capes and meat out of the rain when above the treeline. I see a lot of hunters don't have a similar tarp/shelter on his/her gear list; to be honest I don't know how they do it. Perhaps it is possible to go on a sheep hunt without rain or snow...I just haven't experienced that yet.

Attached is a picture of the setup described above from a hunt last year. Not spacious, but adequate for the purpose.

Many of the "cottage" lightweight backpacking manufacturers offer different types of shelters/tarps. I'd recommend something with more coverage than a flat or catenary tarp, as precip in the alpine often doesn't fall straight down. Many of those companies make their products in the USA...always a plus. I recently ordered a Mountain Laurel Designs SpeedMid and am anxiously awaiting its arrival; a few more ounces but plenty of room to sit inside to flesh a cape, cook, etc.
    That looks like a great combo, I think this thread has potential to lighten my wallet.

i have a double rainbow my TarpTent. very spacious for two, and very lightweight for one to carry.

Ti-goat ptarmigan and raven bivi's rolled into a po box near me today! Pyranet shipped yesterday and will hopefully show up by thus weekend. I also talked to Neil at cameralandny and now have a vortex high country tripod on it's way. At least the shelter upgrades appear to be done!!

Hilleberg Bivanorak and a Tarp 1. The problem is that two Bivanoaraks and a tarp weigh nearly as much as a Jannu. My partner and I are considering our options. Maybe a heavier tent for base camp and the Jannu for spiking. The Jannu at base and Bivanoraks to spike? Tough decision. Fun to dream about!

Like AK troutbum, I'm rolling with the Big Agnes Fly creek UL 1 too.... hope it holds up, Under 2.5 lbs fully packed with footprint. Seamsealed and ready to roll.......

Attachment 50946

You guys with the TiGoat bivi's, are you getting the bug net hoods?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    You guys with the TiGoat bivi's, are you getting the bug net hoods?
    My Ptarmigan Bivy has the net and I have never really needed it.

Just upgraded to the Raven to get the hip zipper.

I'm an absolute believer in these Bivys, they are worth their weight in the protection and warm they add to your sleep system.

Steve
    Founding Member

I have the Ptarmigan w/ the net window and the Raven with the net hood. I will be using it in a floorless tepee on the tundra so SOME bug protection seems like a good idea and it only adds about an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    My Ptarmigan Bivy has the net and I have never really needed it.

Just upgraded to the Raven to get the hip zipper.

I'm an absolute believer in these Bivys, they are worth their weight in the protection and warm they add to your sleep system.

Steve
    What are you using for an UL emergency sleeping bag to go along with your day pack spike/emergency shelter system?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    What are you using for an UL emergency sleeping bag to go along with your day pack spike/emergency shelter system?

Going to use the Raven bivy for my spike camp sleeping bag and use my Kuiu Spindrift jacket ant Montbell pants along with Ptarmigan Bivy and Kifaru Paratarp for Siwash gear.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast