Thread: Broc and Cauliflower

Default Broc and Cauliflower

Just a General question - i have half of my broccoli plants forming heads - albeit to fast but I can get over that, and half that have not formed a head at all, just great looking leaves and stalks etc

Also - none of the 4 cauliflower plants have a head (curd) forming and I am wondering if they ever will...I know they are difficult to grow, the plants look great, but just no heads.

Anyone else have this issue?

Mine aren't heading yet either. I think it's a good thing. The bigger the plant gets, the bigger the head usually gets.
    Patience
    Typically it's the age of the plant that determines the time it heads. Some plants were started earlier than others & will head sooner.
    I noticed last year, the plants I bought headed earlier than the ones I started from seeds.
    The bought ones were root bound in the little 6 packs so I knew the were older, & never grew into large plants, & was = to the broccoli head sizes. That was one of my motivations to start my own plants, I know their age & can up size the pots if needed.
    This year I have broccoli plants 3 ages about a week apart. Hopefully they all do well.

When they do start forming heads, make sure the get plenty of water, don't drown them but if we don't get rain, every 3 - 4 days, give them a drink.

Good luck.

All of our broccoli plants have head formed that are about the size of a quarter. Plants are on the small side but good and healthy.

My experience with cauliflower is that it usually takes a long time for a decent head to form/grow... here in the Mat-valley... I've never grown my own starts, but we have grown some decent cauliflower... I think Mudbuddy has it figured out, as the broccoli starts we bought this year started heading up real early... The cauliflower starts that I bought didn't look very good at first, but I planted them deep to cover as much of the leggy stalks as I could, and now they look pretty good.....

I bought these as starters from Walmart and planted May 29th. We just ate the two biggest broccoli heads a couple days ago, they were about 5"-6" in diameter. All of the broccoli plants have several small heads about the size of a quarter or so, but still no cauliflower yet. Everything (plant wise) is pretty big though and all are over a foot tall with pretty big leaves.
    Garden.jpgBroccoli2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I bought these as starters from Walmart and planted May 29th. We just ate the two biggest broccoli heads a couple days ago, they were about 5"-6" in diameter. All of the broccoli plants have several small heads about the size of a quarter or so, but still no cauliflower yet. Everything (plant wise) is pretty big though and all are over a foot tall with pretty big leaves.
    Garden.jpgBroccoli2.jpg
    Ak Troutbum
    Like your anti-Moose wire...!!! Same story here on the Broccoli and Cauliflower... although I bought my starts at Wally's but they both use P&M in Eagle River as a supplier... The Cauliflower plants look healthy enough so I'm still hoping we'll see some cauliflower before too much longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Ak Troutbum
    Like your anti-Moose wire...!!! Same story here on the Broccoli and Cauliflower... although I bought my starts at Wally's but they both use P&M in Eagle River as a supplier... The Cauliflower plants look healthy enough so I'm still hoping we'll see some cauliflower before too much longer...
    Thanks John. Ya, I came up with the wire idea after being cleaned out of all my above ground veggies last year. I replanted, put the cage on, and haven't had a problem since. I hope that I didn't just jenks myself.

Mine are forming heads. Brocc looks good & the cauliflower OK. I just watered
    everything. Seem to need to do more watering this year, but loving the weather, plants are too.

AK trout
    Nice moose proof wire. Great idea. Hope I'm not on their broccoli eating route. The fence helps
    but they've jumped it in previous years.
    Wonder if broccoli feed moose taste as good as it sounds

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Wonder if broccoli feed moose taste as good as it sounds
    I don't know for sure, but I got really close to finding out last year. We got up one morning to not only find out that the garden was destroyed but he also ate 4 hanging flower baskets, two big flower pots, several misc. newly planted perennials and stomped several perennials. He did about $300 worth of damage, not counting all our hard work. Man, we were sick. Then he came back, and I came really close to planting him. Hopefully my days of feeding broccoli to the moose are over.

yea i've got heads formed now on the broc's i was wondering about - so I'm batting a 1000 on those. The Caulifower looks real close to starting a curd as well - its seems to be growing much faster than before. Lots of Water I agree. last year I dont think i put a hose on the garden after about June 10th till harvest. This year its almost daily.

Cauliflower now has heads - Broc's are about ready for harvest, and my potato plants are falling over for some reason - was worried they grew too fast, Oh well, something new every year. Peas are coming along. as is the Cabbage - the only thing that's left now is brussel sprouts

Here's a couple cauliflower heads I just picked out of the garden this evening. Ya, I Know pretty cheesey smile but in all my many years of gardening (3 years now) this is the best garden I've ever had.

100_4985.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Here's a couple cauliflower heads I just picked out of the garden this evening. Ya, I Know pretty cheesey smile but in all my many years of gardening (3 years now) this is the best garden I've ever had.

100_4985.jpg
    very nice looking cauliflower..... I picked our best looking one the other day.. Grandkids like to eat it raw with ranch dressing...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    very nice looking cauliflower..... I picked our best looking one the other day.. Grandkids like to eat it raw with ranch dressing...
    I hear ya. I picked 3 heads yesterday but only two made it into the house, my two kids were already set up with a bowl of ranch and they ate the 1st one I picked while they watched me from the deck.