Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackies from a stand

Default Blackies from a stand

This isnt my first time out, I just have a question. My youngest daughter wants to kill a blackbear from a stand this year and its a question of recoil. I have a TC encore in .223
    What do you guys think about a 10 yard shot over bait? I was thinking it is to small but heck what do I know? Ill back her up with a bigger gun.
    Yes cub, its hailey. She has been bugging the heck out of me to go this spring. Im running out of hunting partners as her older sisters wont go. You guys with daughters know whats up. No matter what you do they turn into girls at 13 LOL.

Jim - Would you consider buying her a rifle of her own? Maybe that would help her remain daddy's little hunter once she reaches her teens. Anyhow, if that's an option... Last year we bought my wife, who is 5'0" and just a touch over 100lbs., a Remington Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08. With it's hefty recoil pad included, that gun barely has more kick than a 22lr. I am amazed at how easy it is for a small-framed person to handle. My wife had heard all sorts of horror stories about recoil and getting "idiot marks" from a scope in the face, but after her first shot she was all smiles. I was worn out from my 7mm Mag and 30-06 long before she was ready to quit firing her 7mm-08. Awesome cartridge for a smaller shooter, and plenty for black bears and caribou.

-Brian

Default .223 is good

my buddy had a guy out last year bear hunting in the spring. They seen a nice blackie ended up it was 6'10' out of whittier. the guy hit it but was in full bore run after his shot. My buddy pulled up his bushmaster .223 and dropped it like sack of bricks, nose hit the beach and the body followed. It was a heart shot and it just shredded it into pieces. Not sure of exact yarded but know for a fact it was more than 10 yards. so i would so go for it. like always a good shot placement will help. and you there as back up is good too.

Dont be so cheap and buy her her own rifle. GS-8 step ????? You dont want to be trapsing around looking for it with her along the river.

Luv ya!

If you dont mind let me suggest to you a youth model 20ga shotgun. Put a recoil pad on there and let her shoot a low base round for her first shot and she will be all over that shotgun. Not only is it good for black bears and carabou. She can pot some grouse and even hunt ducks and stuff over deeks if your into that.
    My 9 y/o sister can shoot the 20ga just fine. And I am have hunted bears over bait for a while now and would not think twice about letting the little one put a slug through a bear at a bait stand.

Im not trying to be cheap, just dont want to spend aslot of cash if she grows out of the desire to hunt like her sisters did. Johnny has that new encore and I just thought it might do the job. I think its a little too small even for stand hunting. He bought a new barrel for it, its a 445 or some odd cal. in the big 45 area. maybe Ill try that. depends on how dedicated she is at practicing. Heck I'll probably just take her with this year and see how she likes it. I dont have a sure walker in my footsteps like you do.

Guns lose so little of their value...ultimately, you could sell it in a few years for a loss of about $100 if she doesn't like it. From the women I know who hunt, most do so because their fathers took the time to take them afield and make it about them...not just taking them along to watch. Buying her a gun and supporting her in every step of the process with communicate to her a message that will last. Yeah, she might grow interested in other things in her teen years, but most likely she'll come back to the lessons learned in the woods at some point and will again desire that time in nature. No harm in using a different gun for her first hunt, but there is great benefit in giving her a gun of her own. It gives her more ownership in the hunt. Heck, even my 30 year old wife became more excited about hunting once she had a weapon of her own. Something about that personal aspect of it that connects them to the pursuit even more.

Good luck with whatever you do, and make sure that you post a report and pics once you two hit the stand this spring.

-Brian

Borrow the youth 20 gauge Bob bought Randall, Coops boy killed his first with a 20 g slug. I'd do that, way before I'd risk her getting excited with a .223 on a bear bait. You could be doing some serious tracking with a high shoulder or forward shoulder shot, not to mention a hit a little far back, that stuffs to thick to be doing too much tracking.

P.S. I was just teasing Jum. The boys might not know we're friends.

I would go back alittle bit. 10 yards is really close. Good chance on spooking the bears. 20 yards should be fine for her to shoot a bear from.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the help guys, Cub I never thought about bobs 20 guage. Randal outgrew it anyway. Thats a good idea. Now to just get a location that dosent get all grizzed up.

Default Youth models

Some companies have seen the need for smaller youth type rifles but understand the woes of the kids getting older. Here is a link to Dakota arms and their youth program: http://www.dakotaarms.com/youthProgram.html
    I believe weatherby also has a youth firearm that comes with two different stocks a youth size and adult, that way they can grow into the same rifle over the years. Happy hunting!

Default 7m-08

Jim,
    My sons first black bear was taken with a youth model 7-08 and it did the job just fine. He was not very big at the time weight wise and the rifle has almost no recoil. As far as the bear goes, it took 3 steps and fell over! I do not think your daughter would have any trouble with this round.

Smile Model 7 in .308

My twelve year old daughter has shot 2 black bears and a fork moose with her model 7 in .308 it's small and light for her to handle yet very effective. Her black bears never took a step away from the bait and the moose took 2 and fell over I never even touched my gun. Took her Hunter Ed class first then to the range a bunch and made sure she was comfortable with the weapon first and not afraid of the recoil. After that she has shined and made me a proud daddy learned about the outdoors and even rubs it in when dad comes home empty handed!

Thumbs up Rifle

Alot of good choices here, but for Black Bear I would draw the line @ 308 Win.....or a 30-06 with Low or reduced Recoil loads.
    Alaska

I have a 243 just sitting around, if youd like she can borrow it. I like to see kids get into hunting. I dont have any of my own, so Ill help the cause anyway I can! That goes for the rest of you guys that dont have a kid freindly rifle or just want to test the waters.

All I ask is you return it in good shape (in a timely manner or uppon the agreed time) and sign a waiver.

A 20 ga. is really one of the best all around guns anyone can have, I'm considering using mine on a goat hunt this fall, just because I love it. Not a huge kick plus shooting skeet/ ducks/ ptarmigan is a total blast!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The 20 ga with a quality slug is deadly at that range. My buddy videoed his boy shooting his first blackie over bait with a 20 ga , it packs a whallop.

I would stay away from the 223 for bears. Too small! Even if you want to keep you distance as short as ten yards there is no guarentee you will get to fire or hit with your back up shot. The 7-08 is awsome for children and small statured women. If you have 30-06 you can handload it down to 30-30 velocity and it will work great and with minimal recoil too.

Well, this thread got alot of opinions all of which are great. Thanks to all. Ive not yet decided which way to go but Im sure not going to use the .223 I have a few other choices to work on before season. Im going to start her with the encore I have already with .445 supermag barrel. Its ported and scoped. It weighs a ton and shooting .44 mag light loads to start, the recoil should be very light to none at all. She isnt scared to shoot big guns. Heck it'll be fun to watch. We'll have to see how it goes. If I can film her with her first bear, itll be kick a##. Cub PM

Default 7mm-08 or bigger

I am an expert by no means, but a shotgun? I know slugs are okay, but I have never thought of that as a serious gun to actually shoot from a stand with? I guess you are talking rifled barrel???

I have seen MANY (50+) a bear shot off of stands and seen MANY a bear run like hell after being hit. I had my daughter shoot her first black (6' +) on a stand using a 7mm-08. She hit it perfectly and it ran off! I saw it come back in 3 night later with a limp. The bullet exploded on it and never did much damage. Use a QUALITY bullet (barnes tsx, nosler). Another good idea is to load the 30-06 down so the recoil isn't as bad. At that range it will work great. I upgraded my daughter to my tikka t3 .300wsm and the 6' cinnamon only went 10'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast