Thread: Kenai Canyon?

Default Kenai Canyon?

I have floated from the lake to Jims 3 times this year. I am planning on following a friend down the canyon this week and would like to see if there are any tips. Reading on the forum to stay river right on Schooner was very helpful. Also my friend has an 15hp motor on his 16' SB round raft, is that enough to pull my 14' SB round raft also on the lake?
    Any advise is much appreciated.
    Mike
    Got a few of it down

Don't hit any boulders.

Set your lines as you approach and stick to 'em.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Mike, following somebody is one of the best ways to tackle a new run. You’ve got a solid boat and have wisely developed your skills over the summer. The canyon, although not much of a canyon, should be pretty straightforward for ya.

Start off by having a safety talk with the other boat and your passengers to discuss what to do should somebody swim, deal with a strainer, hit a rock, etc. This way you guys will be on the same page. Discuss with the other boat how far apart you are going to be as you float…too close and accidents can happen….to far away, and you are unable to provide safety for each other. Passengers often are not as prepared for the unexpected as the oarsman, so remember to keep the dialogue going on the river….“bump”, “get low”, “highside left/right”. Do not get sideways in the waves. You can usually avoid the wave trains by staying on the inside of turns, but that is not a lot of fun. When running the canyon, I bring a small overnight bag just in case you need to wait out the lake. It can get pretty gnarly, so be patient. The 15hp should work for towing the two boats; I know it’s not the same, but my 13’ cat with a 5hp pulls my 16’ raft. Make sure when you tie your tow line on, you are able to quickly release it should something go wrong. Have fun.

Stoked to hear you are getting out in your boat. I’m leaving today on a trip and won’t be back until the end of next week or so. Then I’ve got back-to back trips going from 7/24 to mid August. Lets get together and do an Eagle River night run down to the base sometime in between 7/9 and 7/22.

Josh

That would be sweet!
    Thanks for the info.
    Mike
    Got a few of it down

Fletch,
    While you have probably already made this trip by the time I write this....and I may have saw you last weekend....you should not have a problem. I have had a few very new oarsmen go down the Kenai Canyon without any problems, but do miss them rocks. The motor will work, or did work great, I'll bet. Everything HEG told you, above, is valuable. Sometimes the conditions on the lake are bad so the overnight gear makes great sense to me. Wear your rain gear while crossing the lake, even on the good days, if you are crossing in a cataraft. Make sure your PFD is fitted correctly while in the canyon and while crossing the lake.

Following your first run through that section, let us know how it was, how you did. I suspect it will be fun the first time (and every time) but unremarkable. Any rainbows in there this early?

If you go again this weekend, I'll be on the red AIRE Leopard with the 9.9 Honda..........Dennis

We had a blast. I was very conservative through the canyons as I had my wife and kids with me, I probably would be regardless. The water was clear so spotting the boulders seemed easy. Funny, we had an adolescent black bear stalking around our tents the night before that we kept having to yell at, but I was more concerned about the canyon part of the float than the bear. The lines I chose made it a pretty uneventful or unremarkable float (no water in the boat) but I could see how a guy could get stuck on a boulder and have to high side or swim.
    I ended up buying a 5HP and towing the guy who was supposed have a motor. It was nice and flat. About 1 1/2 hour boat ride.
    We are thinking Lower Skilak to Bings this weekend for reds.
    Thanks for all the information.
    Mike
    Got a few of it down

I would like to bring this up again because I too am in about the same situation as Fletch was. I have a young family ( 6 and 4 year old girls) and we would like to do a camping trip this weekend. I also have floated the upper 3 times and that is the extent of my rowing experience and I would like to fallow someone through the canyon this weekend if anyone is willing to let us fallow and give some pointers. We also have a red leopard with a 20 hp Tohatsu.
    Thanks
    Olin

If you don't find anyone on here, check out http://kck.org/listserver.html and get on the eddielist. Good luck.
    Got a few of it down

If you don't find anyone on here, check out http://kck.org/listserver.html and get on the eddielist. Good luck

I just signed up. Thanks for the tip.

Olin

Default Sin ayuda

A fun way to do the canyon if you like to pedal and paddle:
    Drop your boat at Jims landing
    drive your rig with mt bike down to upper campground at skilak
    park at upper campground
    bike back to Jims (pretty quick, approx. 10 miles on hard packed dirt road, some muddy spots)
    Leave bike at jims
    paddle canyon (pretty quick, approx. 5 miles, low water right now, a few small rapids)
    Paddle lake back to upper campground (not very quick, approx. 5? miles, no wind today, but endless flat water paddling, must be just around that next rocky outcrop...)
    Load boat and drive back to Jim's to pick up bike.
    did this today, took 6 hours total. A fun trip if you like to mix things up!

bump

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingsurfer View Post
    A fun way to do the canyon if you like to pedal and paddle:
    Drop your boat at Jims landing
    drive your rig with mt bike down to upper campground at skilak
    park at upper campground
    bike back to Jims (pretty quick, approx. 10 miles on hard packed dirt road, some muddy spots)
    Leave bike at jims
    paddle canyon (pretty quick, approx. 5 miles, low water right now, a few small rapids)
    Paddle lake back to upper campground (not very quick, approx. 5? miles, no wind today, but endless flat water paddling, must be just around that next rocky outcrop...)
    Load boat and drive back to Jim's to pick up bike.
    did this today, took 6 hours total. A fun trip if you like to mix things up!
    Wow, sounds like the perfect nightmare. If you did all this in 6 hours, I'm guessing you were kayaking because if you were rowing a raft, it would take almost that much time just to row the 6 miles down Skilak lake.