Thread: Vacuum sealer question.

Default Vacuum sealer question.

Ok so I have a freezer full of wonderfully delicious King salmon. I dont have a vacuum sealer yet but am picking one up soon. My question is can I take the frozen fillets that I already have and vacuum seal them (still frozen) and put them back in the freezer?

Thanks for your help.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Absolutely, yes. In fact, that's the best way to do it... freeze 'em first and then vac seal them.

After your fillets are fully frozen, dip them in clean, cold water and put them back in the freezer for a few minutes. Repeat a couple times to get a full ice glaze over the fish. Then vac seal them and you'll have perfectly fresh fish all year.

Beware of pin bones! They will puncture the vac bags, so cut them off before glazing!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Absolutely, yes. In fact, that's the best way to do it... freeze 'em first and then vac seal them.

After your fillets are fully frozen, dip them in clean, cold water and put them back in the freezer for a few minutes. Repeat a couple times to get a full ice glaze over the fish. Then vac seal them and you'll have perfectly fresh fish all year.

Beware of pin bones! They will puncture the vac bags, so cut them off before glazing!
    Awesome!! Thanks. I dipped them in clean cold water before I froze em up the first time but will do it again before I vac seal them. I deboned all the fish when I filleted them so hopefully I got all of them and wont run into the puncture issue.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

JOAT's method is also the best way to avoid sucking fish juice into the workings of your vac sealer. Fastest way to ruin a sealer is to get fish slime inside it.

I am thinking real hard about buying one of the commercial sealers. With all the Foodsavers we have bought over the years we could have bought one of the commercial jobs and been done with it. May make it a multi-family buy with our regular fishing/hunting friends.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....