Thread: Pontoon frame

Default Pontoon frame

I just got a pair of fishcat cougar pontoons. But just the pontoons. I talked to AR&K and they think a nrs lopro frame would be to heavy for the 8' pontoons. Any ideas for a light weight frame?

I have thought about making a frame with ABS pipe. Do you think that would be strong enough? What about the weight? I wonder if the ABS would be just as heavy as an NRS style frame.

I'm not sure if ABS pipe would work or not. I'd go to home depot and check out the different pipes/conduit they have and see if you can't come up with something.

I'd use 1/2" galv. piping way before abs, but that may be pretty heavy too. I'd buy a bunch of unthreaded lengths and rent/borrow a threading and cutting tripod and all the dyes and go that route. anything less could be really dangerous or at the least inefficient in terms of rowing power(the flex of abs could rob you of power as you row). i bet you could order frames from the manufacturer of the tubes too(best option). hmmmm. abel6wt

I've seen pictures of cataraft frames made from ABS, where the guy said it worked fine. I can't imagine it holding together in any kind of whitewater, but if all you were doing was lakes and gentle rivers it might work. However, even in gentle rivers you can get sideways on a rock/log and put a whole lot of pressure on the frame, so use larger pipe than you think you will need.

I've used frames made from welded heavy gauge EMT. They work well enough and aren't too heavy/bulky. You can also sleeve and pin them to make a break down frame.

Usual NRS frames are made from 1.25" (nominal ID) schedule 40 anodized aluminum pipe with LoPro fittings. But you can also make them from 1" (or less) schedule 40 pipe with speed-rail type fittings. http://www.hollaender.com/?page=fittings sells a line of them, but there are other options.