Thread: Main Street Hole??

Default Main Street Hole??

Hi folks. I have a halibut dilemma. My parents are here and they are about 65 between them. My dad has a very bad back and mom isn't in great health after breast cancer this year. I took them out of Whittier because its close this past Sunday but the weather was horrible. We tried to have a good time but no fish. It beat my dad up so bad we had to take him to Providence ER next day. They really want to catch a halibut even if its small. One of my friends who has now moved out of state told me to take them to Main St Hole. He said it was close enough to see the road leading up the hill out of Homer. Is that around the south side of the spit? How far would one go up that way? I need the water to be flat as pretty good glass to take them out again, so I figured CLOSE is about it. Not to mention Homer is just a neat place to take visitors. My boat is the 2 foot Wooly and I have the speed to get there but I just cannot split the waves, I merely bounce the tops of them. Can anyone please tell me about the hole there or another place maybe even closer without shortening my parents' life span? I feel like a jack@$$ for beating them up so bad the other day.

The forecast sounds pretty good on Sat and Sun in Homer. I am not familiar with Main St Hole, but if you head up the north side of K bay back towards anchor point, you can get some halibut. Go about ten miles or so, and fish a couple miles off shore
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

When you come into Homer, Main street is where the NAPA store is on the left. When you come out of the harbor stay to the right, out around the end of the spit. Head for the green can, go around it and then head north. Watch to the right and when you line up with main street (which is very noticeable) you are in the Main Street Hole area. I know a lot of people have luck there, but I have not. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

If the weather permits run out of the bay past Seldovia and hang a right, heading towards Flat Island. Once you get into water 130-150 feet deep drop a jig and drift.
    I can honestly say we have never drifted this area without catching a couple of halibut, although they were chickens.
    Tennessee

we used to fish Main Street years ago if the water was too bad to go any further. Not done it in years, but yeah - head along the Homer side as you leave the harbor, and when you can see Main Street running up the hill, head out into the bay till about 80ft. You should always shave a visual on Main street. We used to get chickens there, with the occasional bigger one (My niece got a 120lb 'butt there I believe).

Good luck... hope they get a halibut
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If the weather permits run out of the bay past Seldovia and hang a right, heading towards Flat Island. Once you get into water 130-150 feet deep drop a jig and drift.
    I can honestly say we have never drifted this area without catching a couple of halibut, although they were chickens.
    Do you mean hang a left? If not, then Flat Island isn't where I thought it was all these years.....lol

when i wnt a halibut for dinner i head out the harbor and towards town, when i line up with the ice rink on the spit i hed out to where it drops from 30 or so to 50-60 feet, drop a downrigger to the bottom and troll a hootchie 'til i get a couple hits, then drift while i toss jigs... usually get one between 8-12 lbs... enough for dinner.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I've caught several in the 10-15 pound range trolling salmon gear between the green can just out of the harbor and "main street hole". Use salmon rods, not halibut rods and it will make for a fun fight too.

Limon32, how deep are you trolling down?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

If you don't want to have your parents get beat up I'd suggest that you leave the harbor early in the morning.K-bay is notorious for it's afternoon chop.Better to lose a little morning sleep than another trip to ER.I hope they both catch the fish of their dreams.
    We will all get enough sleep when its permanent................

Thanks so much to all of you that responded. The hole it is. Leaving about midnight. Hope the 4th traffic isn't too bad at that time. Today at Wally World the traffic was awful. All of you have a great 4th of July weekend and don't forget the reason we have it!

It is a chicken hole, but there may be a few big ones hanging thereabouts. We used to catch them on soft plastic wormy baits above a chunk of herring.

If you catch the anchor I lost there, I'd like it back ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Do you mean hang a left? If not, then Flat Island isn't where I thought it was all these years.....lol
    Yea, I meant left, sorry bout that. Nice catch!
    Tennessee

I have done ok straight out from the entrance to Seldovia, on either side once, 120 feet of water. If the wind is out of east and even to the south west it should be decent for traveling. We use a 20 foot riverboat, so have to watch the weather also. You can go through Elridge Passage as it fairly protected. Seldovia is a nice place to stop and you might be a mile or so offshore.
    End of May we fished there a couple of times cause it was blowing so hard, and did as good there as we did out at the compass rose, in fact we caught the biggest fish of a weeks worth of fishing right there. Nothing huge, but 40 pounds or so anyway!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR