Thread: Taking a buddy and his dad from out of state fishing in PWS need advice for camping

Default Taking a buddy and his dad from out of state fishing in PWS need advice for camping

Hey guys I plan on fishing out around Perry island for Halibut for a couple days at the end of July and want to know if anyone has a decent camping spot close to there. My buddies dad is 75 and I'd like to find a spot big enough to put up my big tent so that he can sleep on a cot or air mattress. The dad has never been to Alaska before so I'd like to make it a good trip for him, and don't want it to be remembered as the trip from hell because of being uncomfortable.

We planned on two days outside of Whittier fishing Halibut and Shrinp and Camping

Then seward for two days for silvers and staying in a cabin in seward.

Then two days on the Kenai fishing for Sockeye's and staying in a cabin.

I found the state marine park at surprise cove. Does anyone know if it is usually full, there are only 7 spots. It doesn't look like any of the other SMP's have camping spots. First year with a boat and I've only been out cruising the sound twice.

Thanks

One of the challenges of the sound is finding flat and dry areas near tidewater in a protected bay. Our typical solution has been to sleep on our too small for 5 people and their gear boat.

I'm not saying those areas don't exist, but they appear to as precious as hens teath. Whenever we've camped in the sound it's been a considerable distance from the water, and hikes that wouldn't be friendly to an elderly person.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Try looking at the S/W end of Culrose island. I beleive I saw tents set up there before. I think I even saw a picnic table?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Tyr West Twin Bay on Perry Island

There's a nice level spit of land at the head of the bay. Anchor behind the spit. It's protected with a good holding bottom. I don't know about the fishing around the island but I've done decent with the shrimping around there. There are no bears on the island so you won't have to worry so much about leaving your camp while you fish. I'll try to attach a Google Maps screenshot of the place if I can get it to work. Look at the "Thumbtack".

Have fun!

DaveScreen shot 2011-07-04 at 10.42.13 AM.jpgScreen shot 2011-07-04 at 10.42.13 AM.jpg

Thanks guys

Take head nets and lots of bug spray in addition to your thermocell....you will need it...I guarrantee.