Thread: New to fishing. Need some advice

Default New to fishing. Need some advice

Howdy,

I am going to Alaska in 6 days for a two month research trip in Alaska. I am doing some research on the salmon run. I am told I will have 10+ hours a day free. They suggest I bring fishing gear because there is nothing there but photography, reading and fishing.

I have a camera and a kindle. But I don't know much at all about fishing. I've gone a few times as a boy, but that is about it.

I am going to a place called Cook Inlet. I believe I will be along a river and not on the coast. I have about $65 to get any gear as the license cost $145. I don't plan on keeping the gear, I will probably sell it after this trip. So I just want something that will work for two months. This is not a serious hobby, just an investment for this one trip.

Any advice? Can I get everything I need for that? I will be given a pair of waders and boots but nothing else.

**PS**
    As a side note, any advice in general for packing for a 2 month backcountry research trip? I have experience backpacking in California. I packed for that with a few extra layers and better rain gear.

Quote Originally Posted by chatfouz View Post
    Howdy,

I am going to Alaska in 6 days for a two month research trip in Alaska. I am doing some research on the salmon run. I am told I will have 10+ hours a day free. They suggest I bring fishing gear because there is nothing there but photography, reading and fishing.

I have a camera and a kindle. But I don't know much at all about fishing. I've gone a few times as a boy, but that is about it.

I am going to a place called Cook Inlet. I believe I will be along a river and not on the coast. I have about $65 to get any gear as the license cost $145. I don't plan on keeping the gear, I will probably sell it after this trip. So I just want something that will work for two months. This is not a serious hobby, just an investment for this one trip.

Any advice? Can I get everything I need for that? I will be given a pair of waders and boots but nothing else.

**PS**
    As a side note, any advice in general for packing for a 2 month backcountry research trip? I have experience backpacking in California. I packed for that with a few extra layers and better rain gear.
    Your gonna have to really bargain shop to get gear for 65 bucks. You can get a cheap combo pole at some of the sports stores up here depending on what city your going to be in. Overall tackle is fairly cheap, couple bucks for a lure etc. You may wanna bump the budget up a little and get a nicer pole/reel combo if you plan on using it a fair amount that way you wont have to worry about it breaking and then having to buy another one. If you cant raise the budget up I suggest craigs list/alaskas list for some used gear.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I am in a major city here in Texas. We have outdoor stores, from REI & Cabella's to general sporting stores like Academy. I really cant afford more than 65$. I recently spent near 2k on photography equipment (my first passion).

What is the kind of gear/tackle I should look for? It is Texas and I would assume there has to be something in the pawnshops/craigslist. I just have no idea what to look for.

Thanks

Just get a cheap medium action rod and reel.. For 2 months theres Pinks, silvers and reds here for salmon. A medium action should cover you needs for a low price. Check craigslist for something
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

A Texan doing remote river salmon research in Cook Inlet for 2 months. Sounds fishy. Sounds like a coal mine or gas field EIS data project. Big energy firm hires a big consulting firm with lots of outside biologists to keep things quite.

You will soon be between salmon runs with the King season soon closing if not already closed on that river. There may be pinks, then chums and finally silvers to fish for. But that depends on the river. There also might be trout and grayling. However, a lot of salmon spawning rivers have nothing else in them.

Find a medium action spinning rod that will handle up to 14 pound line. Buy a handfull of #3, #4 and #5 virbrex spinners in basic pink orange and blue colors. You will want to find your river area in the fishing regulations to make sure you can use multiple hooks or bait when you are there. Once you get up here you can pick up some egg sucking leach flys at one of the sports stores. They catch pretty much everything up here. Yes you can use a fly on a spinning rod. You can also pick up some bait hook rigs with the flys.

The more important information....get a head net or two. Make sure they are black no-see-um netting so that you are not blinded by the sunshine. Get a thermo cell if you will be stationary for long periods. That will keep you from bathing in DEET all day and night. Your $65 fund may be better spent on gear other than fishing.
    Get quality rubber boots that give good foot support (much more than $65). If you are doing real salmon research you may be spending the day in chest waders anyway.
    Get some decent PVC based rain gear. August can be very rainy and some synthetic rain materials do not work well when always wet day after day. Some brands work well in all conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by chatfouz View Post
    Howdy,

**PS**
    a) Make sure you are going to be in the backcountry with someone who knows what they doing. (If you aren't then get out now... seriously!!! you are putting you life into who's ever hands they are.
    b) Deet will be your friend.
    c) Layering is a good start but not enough. As said before good raingear can be a matter of survial. Hypothermia is not limited to the winter up here.

as for the fishing gear... you can find a decent medium action Combo real for $30 bucks without too much trouble. If you want to catch the salmon you need #15 lb strength mono line.. if you are trout fishing you need #6 lb line. you want a #3 or #4 silver vibrax with a hot pink bell, and one with a metallic blue bell. variety of small weights, Egg sucking leech fly would be helpful, couple egg loops and bobbers. oh and flourecent yarn.

that should handle most situations

I second the deet, but wait till you get up here to get it if you can't get 100% where your at, I know its not available where I came from.

WHere are you going? I'm sure we could give better advice on gear if we knew a bit more about your options.

I would forget about the fishing stuff for now and start planning and assembling your emergency and survival kits. There is a specific forum for the subject on this site that you should check out and post questions to. Once you're here you should be able to find cheap gear at a yard sale. With the kings about to end, you can get by with a single medium-weight spinning rod. get your hands on 2 used reels and you'll be ready for a range of fish from silvers to greyling. If you are on a strong fast river the salmon may be difficult to move, but that's fishing on a budget for you; you'll just use a heavier line in that case.

You might want to get a pair of climbing boots, to climb the closest tree when the brown bear gets to close, have a cell phone to call for help to come and get you. Along the rivers and streams will be bears feasting on the same salmon you are looking for. Oh yea Bears can climb trees.

All you need is the $30 "ready-to-fish" combo from Fred Meyer and handful of single-hook pixies, mepps, split-shot, and some sockeye flies. The rod/reel combo comes with a few cheap items in a little box. Figure on adding about $20 worth of gear to that. You're ready to fish for well under your allotment. Don't mess with anything that requires bait. You won't have bait in the backcountry and bait also attracts bears. Stick to "non-stinky" lures.

OK, now that the OP question is out of the way, I'd back this up a step. If you don't like to fish, then why would you want to dump $200 on fishing license and gear? If you like photography, there will be far more to do in that field than there will be for fishing opportunities. I'm going to assume that you'll be on the west side of Cook Inlet. There aren't any "backcountry" river research areas on the Kenai that I'm aware of. The rivers on the Kenai range from suburban to rural, but they are certainly in populated areas on the road system.

If you're going to the west side, you will be in remote backcountry. You will be wet all the time. Forget anything made of cotton. You'll want lots of polarfleece and a couple good sets of waterproof (rain) gear. Forget the cheap stuff. Lots of good boot socks. A mosquito headnet will be mandatory (in addition to DEET bug repellent). Some comfortable, lined leather gloves.

You'll be living with bears. Are you prepared for that?

Is your camera gear in waterproof and well-cushioned bags?

Batteries will be a problem. Consider investing in some rechargeables with one of those roll-up solarpowered battery chargers.

The name of the river would help a lot in getting you set on the right gear.

What is the company that you're going to work for?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Great post Joat.

My suggestion. $65 worth of liquor. You said you don't fish so why bother. If fishing, take a 7' medium action Ugly Stick. Very affordable and durable. Walmart. A handful of 1/4-1/2 ounce spinners. 12-15 lb line. That would be simple and effective.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Great post Joat.

My suggestion. $65 worth of liquor. You said you don't fish so why bother. If fishing, take a 7' medium action Ugly Stick. Very affordable and durable. Walmart. A handful of 1/4-1/2 ounce spinners. 12-15 lb line. That would be simple and effective.
    As danattherock mentioned, all you need is a medium action rod and reel set and your good to go. At this time of year you will be able to handle all of the remaining salmon runs with this gear. This should be found at a decent price at Sportsmans Warehouse, Walmart, ect. Good luck and tight lines!