Thread: Right Jon Boat Size?

Default Right Jon Boat Size?

I am looking to buy my first river boat. I am wanting to piece together a boat by buying the boat and motor separate. I would like to end up with somewhere between 70 to 100 HP jet. How big of a Jon boat do I need to handle that size of a motor? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hope I am not sounding insulting, but you seem to be going about this backward.
    First you pick the boat you want then you determine the appropriate power plant. What will you be doing with the boat? How much gear and weight do you want to carry?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Hope I am not sounding insulting, but you seem to be going about this backward.
    First you pick the boat you want then you determine the appropriate power plant. What will you be doing with the boat? How much gear and weight do you want to carry?
    2x what he said...!!! You pick a boat that comes the closest to doing what you intend to use it for... Moose hunting, you want at least an 18 ft boat that can carry a lot of weight... if your just interested in fishing with 2 or 3 buddies you could probably get by with 16ft boat.. You said riverboat so I'm not even going to touch on Salt Water rigs...

I will echo the above statements also. Determine what the boats primary use will be, then choose the power to push it, but always get the most HP that the boat and the wallet can handle.

Okay. Thanks for all of your input. I am looking for a boat that I can moose hunt and fish in (boat rod and reel and dipnetting). So sounds like I need at least an 18 ft boat? How much HP can an 18 ft jon handle?

90HP if it's a G3 Jon boat.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    Okay. Thanks for all of your input. I am looking for a boat that I can moose hunt and fish in (boat rod and reel and dipnetting). So sounds like I need at least an 18 ft boat? How much HP can an 18 ft jon handle?
    If it's an 18ft SeaArk it can handle a 115/80 Jet

i run a 75 jet on an 18ft rivited flat bottom and love it i had 5 guys in it last weekend and it still gets on step no problem and its a real blast running it by yourself the thing flys also it still runs way shallow even with 1000+ lbs in it i would like to have a nice big inboard but this thing is great if you run alone as far as getting stuck one guy can move it off a mud bar no problem.

I am running a 2072 Sea Ark with a 115 Jet. i can fish 4 people out of it no problem and it will get on step with an ATV in it. on the down side it is almost to big for the little sue.

I have run many different outboard jet combo's over the years and based on what you want to use it for, I recommend at a minimum a 150 HP motor in at least an 18' boat. Rather than a flat bottom Jon Boat why not an older Alumaweld or Wooldridge type of boat, there are always some for sale on craigslist. That way, you will have a windshield and a rag top to get out from the weather, especially during moose season.