Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers In Valdez

Default Silvers In Valdez

We haven't been to Valdez in about 20 years (can't believe its been that long). When we were there then we fished the bank over near the TAPs terminal; is that still available? And, can't really remember what weekend we were there; believe it was the first of August. Does anyone know when the best time is for Silvers from the bank; have no real desire to drag my boat over there.

TIA
    Ed.

Allison Point is the place you're thinking of. It's a big privately owned campground now. They even charge you just to park for awhile and walk down to the beach to fish. The road has been improved a lot... completely rebuilt as a matter of fact. There's a lot of parking in a roadside parking lane from the end of the campground all the way back to a sizable parking lot with restrooms (just put up this spring) at the bridge by the hatchery. That area is DOT owned and free to park. Plenty of beach fishing opportunity over a couple miles of beachfront as long as you can find a spot in between brown bears to get to the water.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Thanx - Valdez update.

Wow, really? Paved road? Camp ground? Outhouses? Really? The last time we were there we pitched a tent behind the car along side the road and simply walked over the bank.

Thanx for the update. We're planning on four days; two travel - down and back - and two to fish. Is the weekend of 29 July to early? I really can't remember what month we were down there - I'm guessing August as we caught silvers.

I generally hit the valley streams for silvers and use number 3 or 4 vibrax; those work in Valdez or do those fish prefer something different?

Thanx again for the update.

Ed.

You'll have much better luck if you wait until the second week in August. Alot of the folks there will be using Pixie's. I've had the best luck with green or orange plastic inserts.

Default Pixies ah?

Pixies? Seems to me I remember using them when I was down there then. I'll have to stock up the tackle box with number 3 and 4 pixies - shades of red and orange; don't think I have any. A couple of years ago at the sportsman show in Anchorage, Sportsman Warehouse were getting rid of excess Vibrax a 50 cents a pop - I picked up 50 bucks worth. Sure would be nice if they'd do that again.

2nd weekend? I figured that would be the better time for the fish; my better time is the previous weekend - seems to always work out that way doesn't it. O'well, guess I'll work around it. What's the average size of the silvers there? Most here in the Valley are of average size - 5 to 7 pounds; altho there are some much bigger. My son hooked a nice 10 pounder out of Sheep Creek a couple of years ago.

Hey, thanx for the info - happy fishing!!!

Ed.

You wont get any silvers from the bank in July . The last half of Aug is the best time. been there all of Aug the last five years!!!!

The average size is huge in Valdez. Way bigger than most places. 10-12lbs seems about right, and it's not uncommon to get a couple in the 15lb+ range. That's one of the reasons I go every year.

Default JOAT, takcott, coho slayer & petalarue

Wow, 15 pounds? And, mid to late August? Thanx guys for the info, it is much appreciated. So, weekend of the 12th wouldn't be too early nor late then; ummmmm. Any info on the fullness of the camp ground there during that time; Allison Point? Probably like other places; fills up fast on the weekends? We're figuring on four days (from Wasilla); two travel and two camping/fishing. I can smell those salmon cookin over the pit now. Ummm, brings up another issue; bears. Are bears frequent visitors to the camp grounds?

Thanx again.
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBennett001 View Post
    Wow, 15 pounds? And, mid to late August? Thanx guys for the info, it is much appreciated. So, weekend of the 12th wouldn't be too early nor late then; ummmmm. Any info on the fullness of the camp ground there during that time; Allison Point? Probably like other places; fills up fast on the weekends? We're figuring on four days (from Wasilla); two travel and two camping/fishing. I can smell those salmon cookin over the pit now. Ummm, brings up another issue; bears. Are bears frequent visitors to the camp grounds?

Thanx again.
    Ed.
    This is one my 5-year old son caught on his little training rod last year from the city dock. It's a common place to fish as the fish tend to school near it. Problem is you're 20 feet off the water, so you have to get creative with nets and ropes...lol. I actually prefer fishing here to Allison Point. I have a bait technique that is very effective, too. I did a write up on that that I'll have to dig up. This fish is what I would consider about average for Valdez.

IMG_0149.jpg

This was caught August 29th last year, and the peak of the run hadn't even hit yet for shore fishing.

Default Wow isn't strong enuf to say about that catch

That is a great catch! Holy cow!

I would love to see my son pull out one like that - he still talks about the "big one" he caught and that was two years ago. This makes me want to go even more. Its kind of a catch-22 tho, by then it'll be mid-august and summer will be coming to end.

We intend to spend some time in town probably the morning of our final day - we'll definitely check the dock and other places.

Thanx for that great pix.
    Ed.

Default Bears Everywhere!

Valdez is loaded with bears. They're everywhere. Right in town. Out of town. Allison Point area is crawling with them. I took the attached photo yesterday morning just around the corner from the hatchery. Pretty sure this is one of a group of triplet cubs I watched fishing with momma in the area last summer.

Be bear aware everywhere you go in Valdez. Travel in groups. Make noise if you go off into the wilds. Keep your head up. If you fish the point, make sure you glance back behind you regularly. I don't know how many times I've seen fishermen standing there doing their thing and have a bear walk up right behind them to see if they have any fish. Often the fisherman never even knows he was just checked out by a bear. If you have fish, the bear will steal them. Haven't seen any bears get nasty with people in the area. They are well accustomed to people, which can be a bad enough thing in itself. But they know that people make little piles of fresh fish, so the bears come over to see what you have that they can take for lunch.

Attachment 50495
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default That's a great pix

Sounds like its much like the Russian. I've been down to the Russian many times and have seen many bears and a number of those up close. But, like you mentioned, they're more interested in the fish than you and they're learned bears. I guess the one's you have to watch for then are the ones with cubs. But even then, if you stay in populated areas then you probably won't see any bears with cubs.

Do a lot of people fish from the bank in mid-August at Allison Point? I'll have the wife and 9 year-old with me. Would it be wiser to stay at a camp ground closer to town?

thanx for the heads up

Ed.

Default Sow and 3 cubs

This photo is almost one year ago, about a half mile from where I took the pic of the bear yesterday. I'm pretty sure yesterday's young bear was one of the 3 cubs in this pic. The sow is at the far right. Just behind them all are fishermen lined up along the creek on the tidal flats. I watched them for about a half hour that morning. After they collected up some fish, they walk right by me (within 10 yards), crossed the road and sat in the bushes on the other side to eat their fish. Then they came back over and got some more. There were people everywhere and the sow didn't seem concerned about it at all. You still wouldn't want to get too close to this group, but if she's coming your way just step aside and let her pass.

Another interesting encounter was early one morning with a different male grizzly a couple years ago. It was early morning and still pretty dim light out. The bear had been milling about on the beach below Allison point for awhile. This "seasoned citizen" guy emerges from his RV with his fishing pole and tackle box and starts down the trail on the west side of the point. Just as the guy was about halfway down, the bear turns the corner at the bottom heading up. They both stop and look at each other for a couple seconds, the guy pretty much frozen in place. The bear then continues up the trail and actually brushes against the guy as it walks by him to get to the top. Off the bear goes across the road and back into the woods. The guy just stood there for about 2 or 3 minutes, then walks back up the trail, over to his RV and goes back inside.

People will be fishing from the banks between the hatchery and the point up until it's too cold to stand out there anymore. There will be plenty of fishing in August. I'd take whatever camping spot presents itself.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Great stories

Wow, those are some really nice stories. Only once down on the Russian did I come that close and it was a heart pounder. I've sent this thread to a friend of mine in Indiana - he will love those stories and the pix.

Where is the camp ground/Allison Pt in relation to the hatchery? I've been looking on Google Earth to get a reference in my mind for when we travel there next month. However, the sat pix must be an old one before the camp ground was put in as I don't see it or am looking in the wrong place.

Thanx
    Ed.

OK, the "campground" is actually camping spots alongside the road around Allison Point. If you're looking at the sat map and you can find the hatchery, as you go west down the beach you have a long straight stretch of road. That area has a parking lane on the beach side. It's just day parking. When you get to the next corner you are starting onto Allison Point. From that corner all the way around to the edge of Alyeska property (clearly marked on the road, you can't miss it... and don't drive past it either!) is flanked by the campground. It may be hard to make out via sat map since it follows the contour of the road, but it's there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Camp Ground

JOAT, I really appreciate all the time you're taking to answer my questions. Parking along the road; that's kind of what I remember. The web advertises the Allison Point Campground as having 51 camping sites and 10 parking with out houses and drinking water availability. I kind of got a pix in my mind of a traditional campground but not one stretched along side a road.

How's the fishing near Allison Pt vs the hatchery - not as big a concentration of bears i suspect near Allison Pt.

Well, I'm off to do a little lake fishing for a couple of hours.

Thanx.
    Ed.

Same fishing. Same bears. You're talking about a separation of less than 2 miles, so the bears will wander back and forth. They're active mostly in the early morning hours, but they can pop up anytime through the day.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Just wild...I grew up in Valdez and never remember seeing this money bears that people are talking about there. I would hike around and fish allison point all the time...

Ha! Great stories, JOAT.

I've been fishing and working in the wilds up here for more than 30 years, and I still have a hard time just being relaxed when a bear saunters by. We were trying our luck at Allison last fall, and there were several closer than I'd like encounters with black bears. In all reality, though, there were so many dead and dying salmon around you know those bears don't give a rat's behind about the people.

how will the fishing be for pinks and chums in the next week?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast