Thread: Kasilof dipping

Default Kasilof dipping

Dipped the Kasilof Tuesday and Wednesday, was very slow (at least for us), we were in a boat and the fish just did not seem to be in the river yet in big numbers.

It looked as though the folks on shore were picking up some fish, but looked slow for them as well.

Talked to a Commercial guy in a skiff and he said there are BIG sonar numbers in the inlet so hopefully it should be soon and the dipping should be good.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

Interesting, cuz the EO that opened commercial fishing last night and this morning says that fish are entering the river at a rate that is going to exceed escapement goals.

Of course, from my limited observations, boats don't do nearly as well in the Kasilof as the guys on shore. The fish don't run in the middle, they run along the beach. Plus they enter in tidal influenced slugs with few in between. If you're in a slug, you'll fill the freezer in a hurry. In between you can fish for hours while only picking up a few. Tis the nature of the spawn.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Interesting, cuz the EO that opened commercial fishing last night and this morning says that fish are entering the river at a rate that is going to exceed escapement goals.
    J, I think the key to that is "GOING TO". There was the early push of fish just prior to dipping season so that helped the numbers a bunch, plus "they" are saying there are large numbers in the inlet headed for the river.

We normally do VERY well from a boat, we use a 14ft raft and fish up river to the marker and run the sides as slow as we can, and when the fish are in we fill coolers very fast.

On a side note. I can't believe what happened to the DQ there in Soldotna, that really sucks, that is (was) a landmark for my family and me. Shoot I think every time we did anything down that way the kids were more excited about going to DQ than the fishing/camping trip.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

REMF, thanks for the report. Sorry to hear it was slow for you but at least you got out.

@ REMF
    I've also usually done better in a boat than on shore there by drifting just out of reach of the beach nets. Just curious, what is the marker that you motor upriver to?

BTW we were at DQ in Anch yesterday and we were talking about how great the soldotna store is only to find out about the fire shortly after. Lots of good times there.

Always been much better from a boat, for myself and for the people I see in boats when I'm stuck on shore.
    Another bad thing about losing the DQ is all of the planes that hung from the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    REMF, thanks for the report. Sorry to hear it was slow for you but at least you got out.
    So true, the weather was amazing, and I just love the whole Peninsula area. It saddens me to see and read how folks take it for granted and trash the beaches when they go. We ended our trip with cleaning up after a few slobs.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHosemonkey View Post
    @ REMF Just curious, what is the marker that you motor upriver to?

BTW we were at DQ in Anch yesterday and we were talking about how great the soldotna store is only to find out about the fire shortly after. Lots of good times there.
    If you motor up river, the marker is on the left (north) side of the river, just past the 4th I think processor dock.

Thatís funny you mention the Anchorage DQ, my wife and I say the same thing. They (Anchorage or Palmer stores) could never hold a candle to the Soldotna DQ for service.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Another bad thing about losing the DQ is all of the planes that hung from the ceiling.
    No doubt, that was almost as good as the ice cream and service itself. Very sad.

HOOAH

Anyone out today yet? Know it is a commercial day but did they clean them all out?

We gave it a shot Thursday night and again on Friday. It was poor all around.

Sad to read about the DQ down there. The ones up here in Anchorage and the Valley are slow and lack the personal touch that the Soldotna store had.

Ice cream at the DQ was always the perfect way to end the dipnetting trip. Just won't be the same without it.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....